My overweight journey.

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jaspreet singh
    Participant

Hello everybody,
    My name is JP and I am 32 years old male living in Atlanta, GA. I am 5’7″ and currently 187 lbs. Most of my life I have been overweight and last year in Oct I hit my max at 216 lbs. From Nov 1, 2014 to Feb 28, 2015 (4 months), I went from 216 to 186, went from 32% body fat to 27% (caliper method), lost 5″ of waist size and I am not done yet. All of this because of low-carb diet and little exercise. I was mostly on Ketogenic diet for these 4 months and did great. In March I wanted to do something different because my performance at gym tanked on low-card diet. Even though I was losing weight and was getting all the benefits of keto diet by my strength wasn’t increasing at all. Then I heard keifer on one of the low-carb podcasts and bought Carb Nite solution. I read the carb nite and now I am trying to understand his protocol but having hard time with it. Until now I have done 5 carb nites and didn’t lost a single pound. I am still patient and hoping this protocol will work for me. I am going to give carb nite another 1 month to work. I am sure I will be asking few questions if it doesn’t work for me.
    JP

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Hello, welcome! I’ll be following along your journey 🙂 Awesome progress for the 4 months by the way!

I’m certainly not the master of Carb Nite or anything, but I’d like to help out in any way I can, and I have a few questions:

1) What is the breakdown of your Carb Nite schedule? (how many days apart between each carb nite, the macros, etc.)
    2) What is the macros for your ultra low carb days?
    3) How much and what kind of exercising are you doing currently?

I think the above information will help us in giving you somewhat of a direction. The people here are incredibly supportive and helpful!

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

jaspreet singh
    Participant

1) What is the breakdown of your Carb Nite schedule? (how many days apart between each carb nite, the macros, etc.)
    It has been different every time. Mostly it has been 7-9 day apart. The reason was that I was not down to weight of my last carb nite. I have done few mistakes on the first few carb nites, for example drinking soft drinks with high corn syrup and the stuff keifer said not to do. Also my protein was low on carb nites. I was only eating sugary and little bit starchy foods. I think I did good on the last one. Last carb nite I ate 3100 calories with 133g fat/ 300g carb/ 193g protein. I usually do fat and protein breakfast at 9am and delay lunch to 4pm and start carb nite with lunch. I eat some snacks during lunch and dinner and then a desert around 10pm.
    2) What is the macros for your ultra low carb days?
    Coming from keto diet I was very happy eating fat and first 3 weeks I was 70%fat/25%protein/5%carb. I was eating 1900-2000 calories with 170g fat/ 110g protein/ 25g carbs. But last week I switched that to 160g protein/ 110g fat / 30g carb (1700 calories). I definitely have to take fiber supplement with that much protein intake. it also puts me into calories deficit, but is that’s the way to go?
    3) How much and what kind of exercising are you doing currently?
    I do 2-3 days of full body resistance training (medium intensity), about an hour of each session. I also do one HIIT session the day after carb nite.

Thank you very much for being thoughtful about helping. Looking farward to read comments and advise from experts on this forum.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

It seems like you’re on a good track. Macros seem to look pretty good, but since you are resistance training you might be able to increase your protein to around your body weight. Also, I’m sure you are aware but in regards to carbs, 30 grams is not a goal to really shoot for (as in just keep it minimal, and not exceeding 30 g).
    As far as deficits go, a lot of people tend to be in a deficit during the ultra low carb phase of the week, and carb nite will either bring them to maintenance or even still at a deficit in the weekly average caloric intake. For fat loss, one must be in a deficit to lose it. But like I said, you might be able to bring up your protein a little bit still, considering your weight 1700 calories might be a bit low.
    What’s your resistance training? Is it like Starting Strength type of training? You say it’s medium intensity, but it could also be that it’s actually more intense on your body than you think, and too much on Carb Nite could potentially backfire and produce not-so-great of a result.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

jaspreet singh
    Participant

I have been doing resistance training of and on from last 2 years. I would say, I am doing about 60% of what I can do if I am on carbs everyday. This diet have definitely increased my performance in the gym from the time when I was on Keto diet. I am happy with that but the weight hasn’t moved from last 5 weeks. After carb nite I am up 2-3 lbs and down that weight in 5-7 days. I am not loosing any weight or waist size in this cycle and it is defiantly testing my patience. I am going for DEXA scan tomorrow and also getting my Basal Metabolic Rate testing done. I think i will have better idea of what caloric load I can handle to loose fat.
    Its hard to eat 185g of protein for me. Should I make that up my taking whey protein on non workout days also? If yes, then what is the best time for that?
    On carbs I stay in the range of 20-30 useable carbs. I can try to stay under that range because on keto I used to be between 10-20g range.
    I eat extra 200-300 calories the day I work out.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Sorry I keep on asking you for more and more information, but would you be willing to break down your training in detail?
    The weight gain after a carb nite is completely normal, and 2-3 lbs is actually really good. I was going to ask if your clothes feel looser, but it seems like that’s a no.

Whey protein on off days is fine, but it should be consumed before going to bed. Since it’s a fast absorbing protein, having it in the morning/during the day will cause a sudden rise in insulin, stopping the fat burning we want.

jaspreet singh
    Participant

I got bad news today my RMR is 1620 Cals. My metabolism is very slow. With 3 days exercise and my activity level, my maintenance caloric load is only 2300 Cals (average per day for week). Dexa scan showed I have 136 lbs of fat free mass (Lean and Bones). My Fat mass is 53 lbs. I am 28 % body fat.
    Workouts
    Day 1 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Chest dips 3 x failure
    Flat bench press 4 x 10
    Incline dumbbell bench press 3 x 10
    Dumbbell flat bench fly 3 x 10
    Standing overhead dumbbell press 3 x 10
    Rear delt raise 3 x 10
    Military press 3 x 10
    Skull Crushers 3 x 10
    Triceps Rope Pulldowns 3 x 10

Day 2 Back & biceps
    Pull up 3 x failure
    Bent over row 3 x 10
    T- Bar row 3 x 10
    Bent over one arm dumbbell row 3 x 10
    Standing EZ bar Curl 3 x 10
    Incline bench dumbbell curl 3 x 10
    Hammer Curl 3 x 10

Day 3 Legs
    Squat 5 x 8
    Deadlift 4 x 8
    Leg press 4 x 10
    Leg extension 3 x 10
    Seated Calf raises 3 x 20

Richard Schmitt

My name is JP and I am 32 years old male living in Atlanta, GA. I am 5’7″ and currently 187 lbs. Most of my life I have been overweight and last year in Oct I hit my max at 216 lbs. From Nov 1, 2014 to Feb 28, 2015 (4 months), I went from 216 to 186, went from 32% body fat to 27% (caliper method), lost 5″ of waist size and I am not done yet. All of this because of low-carb diet and little exercise. I was mostly on Ketogenic diet for these 4 months and did great. In March I wanted to do something different because my performance at gym tanked on low-card diet. Even though I was losing weight and was getting all the benefits of keto diet by my strength wasn’t increasing at all. Then I heard keifer on one of the low-carb podcasts and bought Carb Nite solution. I read the carb nite and now I am trying to understand his protocol but having hard time with it. Until now I have done 5 carb nites and didn’t lost a single pound. I am still patient and hoping this protocol will work for me. I am going to give carb nite another 1 month to work. I am sure I will be asking few questions if it doesn’t work for me.
    JP

I got bad news today my RMR is 1620 Cals. My metabolism is very slow. With 3 days exercise and my activity level, my maintenance caloric load is only 2300 Cals (average per day for week). Dexa scan showed I have 136 lbs of fat free mass (Lean and Bones). My Fat mass is 53 lbs. I am 28 % body fat.

Being that you’re 185lbs (roughly) now with 136lbs of LBM, I would suggest you go ahead and use .8g-1g for protein, 145g-180g at least. No less than 145g but I wouldn’t go over 180g at all. Fats 115g-150g. Might seem like a lot but being ULC you’ll need it.

Your training, is this something you came up with or found? In my opinion, that is WAY too much volume on CNS. You should look into something with lower volume, and a lot of unnecessary movements right now. If you were on CBL then no problems.

jaspreet singh
    Participant

Thanks Tex, i came up with these routine. I will surely cut down some on volume.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

My overweight journey.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?