New, confused

• This topic has 4 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Cmo

I read the book and everything sounded so simple.  Eat 30 g or less of carbs a day, refeed when scheduled.  But, looking around the forum, it seems way more complicated than eat less than 30 g (keeping protein and fat high).  Now, I read about insulin spikes, etc.  And how that's not good.  I have been eating 2000-2500 cals a day, 200 or so g of protein, a lot of it coming from protein shakes, and casein before bed.  I don't see myself eating 200 g of meat a day).  I weigh 170.  Am female.  Doing 5/3/1.  I've been eating for strength the last two months now, but I really woukd like to get some fat off.So, am I reading into things too much?My food so far today, which is the first day of CNS, Coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp of heavy cream (not as bad as I thought it'd be)A couple hours laterWhey, 1 1/2 scoops1 tbsp of chia seeds1 tbsp heavy creamLunch4 slices bacon2 extra large fried eggs4 oz of strawberries with 1 tbsp heavy creamI still need to go workout (squat)...typically I woukd have whey (Dymatize elite gourmet) and 1/2 scoop of Karbolyn (fast acting carb powder to spike insulin) post workout.    I know I shouldn't have the Karbolyn now.  But what about the whey???  I'm only at 800 cals or so, normally I'm a whole lot more by now.  My metabolism shuts down quickly if I don't eat enough.  Too many years of trying (and failing) to lose weight by undereating. 

Protein shakes are fine PWO, but should be avoid during other times outside of 10g in an AM ignition shake.You only need tops 170g of protein, but you would be fine with less then that even. Don't worry about calories, eat with your hunger, keeping fats high and protein moderate.

Cmo

Aw geez, now what's the am ignition shake??  I don't recall that in the CNS book.  Thanks for your response.  So, just eat when I'm hungry??  what about calories???  I've got a tricky metabolism, seems to close up shop quickly.  So, workout, then drink one scoop whey with coconut oil?  None of this is in the book, at least that I can find again, but I've got the ebook.

Sorry, the AM shake is from CBL.Coffee, 10g protein, 1 tbsp coconut/MCT oil.PWO don't use any coconut/MCT oil, just Whey and if you want you can use leucine.Don't eat to little, make sure you eat at least you BMR+, but don't worry about going over a set number.I've eaten 5k k/cal plus before and still lost fat.

zewski

Eat when hungry, but don't use that as an excuse to under/overeat. If you have a history of either you may want to track your food to make sure you're not falling below your BMRAlso you don't need anywhere near that much protein, I'm a 170lb. male and get by on 143-170g's of protein and about an equal amount of fat just fine. There's a lot of nuance involved, but it really is pretty simple (people just like to geek out on the details  ;))So focus on whole foods such as eggs, fatty meats, and vegetables. Start a log if you need more help (it's the best thing you can do to stay on track!)Good luck!

Cmo

So, if I feel I need to keep the calories up (and eliminating whey protein for the most part is going to represent a huge drop….), then another cup of coffee with coconut oil and heavy cream would be acceptable (I just did that, with fiber…we won't talk about how that looked)?  I have been tracking on Fitbit.  I do want to keep my calories closer to 1800- 2,000, just because my metabolism stops too much lower than that.  Yes, I will fall prey to undereating.  I don't normally eat cheese, but I guess I will have to.  I am having rotisserie chicken from Earth Fare and asparagus tonight!  Skin and all on that chicken , right???  Please say yes!Thanks for patience everyone, I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.  I want to try this for one month (I don't expect to see a huge loss or anything, being that I am 40 and female, and have extreme difficulty losing), then go back to heavy (for me) lifting via 5/3/1 and maybe try CBL.  Thought this would be a good time to try CNS...I have deload week next week, then we are away for a few days (which conveniently my carb nite will be a family reunion, so I could pig out), then start up 5/3/1 again, cycle 2, then we go away again at the end of that...it would be lovely to have less fat for 2nd trip.  Plus, if I need to ease up on lifting, I could, as it is challenging with 3 kids home to get to the gym, and still be OK with the diet since exercise is not critical to it.  I would be overjoyed to get a few pounds of fat off.  I will start a log later.  Thanks again!  Oh, and answer to the second coffee and rotisserie chicken qustions would be great! 

No problem at all.The coffee is fine, but I've seen to much fiber hold people back.You really don't need as much fiber as you think you do, I get hardly any and I'm perfectly fine for it.And you best eat the chicken skins, that's the best part!

Cmo

Thanks!OMG, pre-posting the chix and asparagus, on my fitbit, my carbs are exactly where they should be, but my fat is double the protein!  Seriously, is that OK???  And my calories are lower (1623, I would prefer over 1800), and I don't know what else to eat to boost the protein but not the fat (except whey)....fat is 106.9 g, protein 127g.  Carbs 40-10 grams of fiber=30 g.  Right on the nose.  10% from carbs, 59% from fat, 31% from protein.  Calories at 1623 (I weighed and measured today).  Do I need to adjust anything for coming days??? 

You want more fat. You want you protein and fat 1:1 by gram.You want roughly 70/30 fat/protein by calorie.

Cmo

So pour butter over the asparagus (I have yet to eat)?  Good lord, that is a LOT of fat.  I need to print some of the ebook out and study it I think, though I did primal with low(er) carb, 50-75 g a day, but freaked out over my pee smelling like cat pee!  But I probably kept protein higher than fat.  So for first day, I am not doing too bad then?  With all the help here of course:)

Your doing just fine, it's a learning experience. Yeah, put butter on everything. Or cook everything in butter.You will have the same cat pee thing, in fact it might be strong.It's a totally normal thing though, don't freak.

Cmo

I am rather hungry, no casein?  I was taking 1-2 scoops of casein around this time.  If I don't eat something, I will likely wake up in the night starving.    I had cut my carbs back over the past several days, probably to around 40 or 50....is it normal to have mood swings??  Between that and PMS...well, I should be sent to my room! 

I've heard some people have mood swings during the first part of ULC while you switch from glucose to fat for fuel.If you are hungry eat some more meat, avoid shakes. Dairy protein will spike insulin which you are trying to avoid except for PWO. Right before going to bed eat some almond butter or something, it helps a lot.

zewski

Yea eat some more chicken if you're hungry. Surprisingly one of the best appetite suppressing foods I've found is just butter. Eat a Tbs. of it and I bet your hunger will subside. Make sure you're drinking enough water as well.So to recap:-Use whole foods (Ditch shakes, fiber, and basically anything in powder form besides creatine if you use it)-Eat to sateity-Eat plenty of fat, AT LEAST an equal amount in grams to protein-Don't freak over the cat pee  😛

NewJenn

Hi I agree with all Zewski said. It was very strange to me to be on a diet where I could just eat when hungry-what a concept! I was used to always fighting my appetite. But not so anymore. Butter is your friend. Cheese is also a good thing to have when hungry, and I also have pepperoni handy. People look at me weird but they all are commenting on the fact I am shrinking. Dont stress or think too much about this, its easier than it seems at first!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New, confused

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?