New Here but check this out from Naomi

• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

majorchloe
    Keymaster

Below, please check out a question that I asked and then see the response that I received from Naomi – Clearly she is a very educated woman but I would love some more input.  Basically, how do I get in more fat and keep the protein lower???MY QUESTION:Hello! I am a record holding competetive powerlifter competing at 275. I use your CBL with great success to keep me strong and on weight! However . . . . I would now like to compete at 242. I am at 27% bodyfat so I know I have the room but I have some very specific protein questions. Basically, do you feel that eating more than 50g of protein per meal will elicit an insulin response? If it does, will it create a "bad situation"? It is my understanding that an insulin NOT blood sugar response from protein will help the aminos to "get in" but will it also promote fat gain? I ask because it really takes about 100g or 1lb of protein to make me feel satisfied. Help please!NAOMI'S ANSWERI hear this a lot from powerlifters.  What you need to be doing with your meals both to lose more fat, retain muscle during the pre-workout period, AND get longer-lasting satisfaction from your meals is to EAT MORE FAT.The problem with eating that much protein is, yes, there's an insulin spike from it. But more the issue is that if you're not eating enough fat, your metabolism is still geared towards amino acid -> glucose synthesis, rather than fatty acids.When you eat meals composed of equal parts fat and protein (by GRAMS, not by calories), with sufficient fiber from veggies, you get a very satisfying meal that also blunts the insulin spike from the protein.At 27% fat you should still basically be seeing the fat fall off you pretty quickly. I'm guessing it's been slowish for you because you're eating too much protein.  You really only need 1.2g per lb of bodyweight while actively training -- much less if you're not.I'd heartily recommend digging in to the DH forums and reading the FAQs on Carb Back-Loading.  It's free to register, and then to access to the CBL Members-only section, you click on the CBL book icon in your profile.  It should validate you automatically.http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forumAlso you can post a member log, ask questions in the Official Q&A section, and check out the growing recipes section for ideas on what to eat both before and after training.Thanks for using CBL! Hope your lifting is going well!Cheers,Naomi

zewski

So wait, >50g's of protein in one meal is ok if we add fat right?Other wise I've been screwing up CNS since day one  :-

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Hey Major Chloe,quick answers: 1. get foods that are already naturally 50/50 or so:suggestions:1. cheese:  watch out for carb content, stick to carb free cheese2. bacon, prosciutto, pork rinds, sausages (read the ingredients and watch for carbs on this one)3. eggs (not more than two if eaten alone as it can provoke an insulin spike)Drink your fat:  put nut butters, mct oil, etc.  in protein shakesAdd fats to your veggies:1. liberal use of olive oil on salads2. stir fry veggies in grass fed butter3. make vegetable dips from olive oil, cream, coconut oil, etc. and spices.

majorchloe

Thank Conrad!  So . . . Any suggestions on carb free cheese?  What about peanut butter - is it ok?

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

'Dont know where you live but Trader Joe's has New Zealand grass fed cheddar cheese that is quite good. Actually, many cheeses have 0 carbs, usually the hard cheeses, but again read the ingredients label as manufacturers sneak carbs in. I once bought goat's gouda cheese and there were 2g carbs per serving. No need for that. Use this time to experiment with tastes and get to know different cheeses.  I don't care for Asiago cheese but others like it.Naomi frowns on peanut butter and with good reason.  They contain minute traces of aflatoxins (but minute traces are enough when you're talking about mycotoxins).  Mycotoxins will be the new "watch for" buzz in the health industry, if it isn't already.

majorchloe

Thanks again Conrad!  One last question . . . . I hope!  You look like a pretty big guy, how much protein are you getting in per meal?  Also, what are your sources?  Do you eat red meat – I love red meat?

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Thanks again Conrad!  One last question . . . . I hope!  You look like a pretty big guy, how much protein are you getting in per meal?  Also, what are your sources?  Do you eat red meat - I love red meat?

My protein intake per meal varies, but per day, it's no more than 1.3 g/lb. Yes, love red meat. Tenderloin, rack of lamb, etc.  There is a low carb recipe for meatloaf on the CNS book (pg. 288) that I really like. Also do the DH Blend H post workout, Isopure Whey, etc. I eat chicken, duck, fish, you name it.

Exactly, Red Meat is your friend big time during your pre CBL. I know for me I have 150+ grams of protein before my CBL. I eat eggs and bacon, obviously as stated not eggs solo. Macadamia nuts are great since they are pure fat pretty much. Beef patties/beef tips and romaine lettuce is almost always on the menu.Each meal is a minimum of 50g but closer to 70g per meal, and if you are doing it right with your fat levels, it is hard to sometimes get in those last few bites of your last before workout meal.

Naomi Most

Thank Conrad!  So . . . Any suggestions on carb free cheese?  What about peanut butter - is it ok?

Like Conrad said, I'm down on PB.  Go for Almond Butter, walnut butter if you can find it, Sunflower seed butter (but don't go crazy with it, loaded with not-so-healthy PUFAs).Macadamia nuts are the one nut you can consume in profligate amounts without any downsides. They blend well into shakes!

sckiely
    Participant

I average about 50-80g of fat before my first meal from butter, cream and coconut oil!3 cups of coffee and my fat levels are already pretty high, then with lunch 12-1pm it is steak, fish or sausages with bacon and veges cooked in butter, with cream sauces I make myself, so protein here is about 60-80g fat about 50-60 gSnack on Mac or hazelnuts till I train, then protein and coconut oil shake pre workout.Post workout shake before dinner 50g protein 50/50 hydrolysate and WPI.Then BIG dinner, presently doing CNS so just more meat and vegetables covered in butter and cooked on dropping!So I average about 200-250 g protein about 250+ g of fat and under 20g carbs at 92kg that is about 1.2g/lb quite easy with plenty of fat!At present I am using CNS but trying to maintain weight while dropping fat! Slow going but working so far!

zewski

I know Kiefer mentioned in his interview on bulletproofexec.com what his back-load day looked like when he was eating a lot of junk and still staying leanHe mentioned that he would have coffee then around 12 (because he was busy) he would have about a 1lb. burger on top of salad with maybe a fried egg on top with a little cheese. Again Kiefer's a BIG dude with a lot of lean mass. However, I dont think you have to worry about too much protein in one meal spiking anything. As long as fat has been added to the meal I totally suggest listening to that interview btw

Damon Amato
    Participant

Also of note though, beef protein won't spike insulin like eggs or WPI.

majorchloe

Thank you everyone for the warm reception!  This forum seems to be filled with true academics and “hardcore” individuals – Can't thank everyone enough!

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'd definitely agree the avg intelligence level of regular posters here is much higher than many similar forums. Especially the mods 🙂

zewski

x2 on that. That is of course if you ignore the extreme outliers like myself  😛Welcome to the forum!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Here but check this out from Naomi

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?