New member needs help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kevin Lawson
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Kevin and I am new to the forum. I just purchased the book a couple of days ago and I have not yet been able to read it in its entirety. About two years ago I was weighing 240 lbs at 5’8″. I felt like I had tried everything that I was willing to try until I stumbled upon the low carb community. After starting a low carb diet I lost a total of about 70 lbs. I have since then reached a plateu and my weight has been steady at about 175 for about the past year. I tried getting into nutritional ketosis but it was more than I was willing to deal with. Long story short, I’ve decided to give the carb night solution a try. I would like to gain a little muscle, lower my body fat and live a healthy lifestyle. I have posted a couple of questions:

http://one.body.io/forums/topic/bobs-red-mill-potato-starch/

http://one.body.io/forums/topic/ramadhan-and-cns/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Hello Kevin, and welcome to the forum! First of all, great job on your progress so far.
    Secondly, because CNS is a “fat loss” diet, I wouldn’t really expect much in terms of muscle gain, especially since you are not extremely obese (those people can make gains while in a caloric deficit, while losing body fat). The best you can best while on CNS is preserving your current mass.

In answer to your resistant starch questions, I’m not entirely sure on the verdict of resistant starch, but I would leave them out if I were you. I believe there are mixed opinions regarding how the body processes “resistant starch” so I would be on the safe side and stop taking it altogether. As important as fiber may be for digestion and whatnot, I think that if you are getting enough fats and fluids, you should be fine. Taking magnesium may also help. If you really want to, you could probably do fiber supplements (like psyllium husk) but if you’re getting in a decent amount of fibrous vegetables in your diet, it’s probably unnecessary.

With the whole Ramadan issue, I think you’ll have to play around with it on your own and figure out if it works or not. I’ve never heard of anyone start a Carb Nite that late in the evening, but I wouldn’t think it would cause that big of an issue. There are plenty of people who do the opposite, where they will start and end Carb Nite earlier because they go to bed early. So you could probably give it a go.

Hopefully others can chime in as well, as I’m not sure how helpful my answers were…

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Kevin Lawson

Thanks for the reply and your response was very helpful. I was thinking about having a half tablespoon of potato starch a day. That’s about 5 grams of carbs. I can also leave it alone to be safe it’s just that once I had a very bad experience with constipation on a low carb diet. I don’t want to go through that again. Eating alot of lettuce helped but I also don’t want to force-feed myself veggies. May I’ll get a fiber supplement with zero carbs.

I was thinking of just tracking carbs for now and see how it goes. How do I know when it’s time to tweak my macros and which macros would I tweak if I’m not loosing body fat?

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New member needs help

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?