Newbie shockwave questions…

• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

jp
    Keymaster

Hi all,I recently bought the CBL e-book and downloaded the Shockwave Protocol 1.4. CBL for me is not so much to lose fat as it fits my schedule and life style. I'm 35 yo, 5 8", 190 lbs, 10% BF and has been training for years.I'm currently on the am workout schedule. I have a few questions diet or training-related for those of you with more experience:1) I understand HIT-type training program such as DC, Dorian's Blood and Guts or Mentzer's Heavy Duty to be not quite compatible with CBL. I personally have made my best gains using low-volume high-intensity program. But as I get older, I do realize that this style of training is getting harder on my body. Plus, I understand it may not be optimal in terms of CNS stimulation / recovery. 3) when you do multiple sets on auxiliary or DUP exercises, do you guys ramp the weight or just do straight sets with same weight? 3) why there are no DUP exercises for legs, and especially calves in the shockwave protocol? I thought calves would respond better to higher frequency. 3) related to Q3, I often do extra calf work on Wednesday after cardio and abs. Should I take a PWO after this session or consider it a regular off/cardio day?4) after my morning workout, I have a PWO with carbs (I train at 6:30), and then a second PWO sans carbs about an hour after. I don't put coffee in mu PWO as suggested but I have a few coffee before training and in between my two PWO. Would this be an appropriate post-workout nutrition protocol?5) would BCAA/glutamine help intra-training when training fasted in the morning?I will no doubt have more questions coming as I experience with this new way of eating/training. Thanks.JP

Richard Schmitt

Hi all,I recently bought the CBL e-book and downloaded the Shockwave Protocol 1.4. CBL for me is not so much to lose fat as it fits my schedule and life style. I'm 35 yo, 5 8", 190 lbs, 10% BF and has been training for years.I'm currently on the am workout schedule. I have a few questions diet or training-related for those of you with more experience:1) I understand HIT-type training program such as DC, Dorian's Blood and Guts or Mentzer's Heavy Duty to be not quite compatible with CBL. I personally have made my best gains using low-volume high-intensity program. But as I get older, I do realize that this style of training is getting harder on my body. Plus, I understand it may not be optimal in terms of CNS stimulation / recovery. Keifer came out with a DH Heavy Duty template a while back, but since you mentioned about it taxing on the body then SW might be better for you.3) when you do multiple sets on auxiliary or DUP exercises, do you guys ramp the weight or just do straight sets with same weight? If the movement calls for 8 reps, then you should be able to get to the 8th rep but have difficulties performing the 9th rep. So you'll have to pick a weight that works.3) why there are no DUP exercises for legs, and especially calves in the shockwave protocol? I thought calves would respond better to higher frequency. Not sure, just if done Legs correctly you get a good workout then, but if you want throw in some calves movements.3) related to Q3, I often do extra calf work on Wednesday after cardio and abs. Should I take a PWO after this session or consider it a regular off/cardio day?Uhh...ab/cardio work isn't really necessary for a PWO Shake BUT it all depends on you, if you truly want one then by all means, but if it's needed to get that extra macros in, keep it to the later part of the day. I personally don't take a PWO Shake after SW Core Day.4) after my morning workout, I have a PWO with carbs (I train at 6:30), and then a second PWO sans carbs about an hour after. I don't put coffee in mu PWO as suggested but I have a few coffee before training and in between my two PWO. Would this be an appropriate post-workout nutrition protocol?Sounds you're doing CBL, so skipping the second PWO Shake. Make sure the first PWO Shake spikes your insulin levels high quickly, then go ULC during the day till the evening and backload IF you're training the next morning. Now coffee after the PWO Shake is fine.5) would BCAA/glutamine help intra-training when training fasted in the morning?Eh since you bought the book, there is an Intra-Shake mixture, but not needed unless you're training really heavy and for long periods of time. Other than that, I wouldn't recommended it.I will no doubt have more questions coming as I experience with this new way of eating/training. Well hope this helps! Welcome!Thanks.JP

jp

Thanks Big Tex! That helps.

Richard Schmitt

You're welcome!

Just a thing on calves.. 100 seated calf raises followed by nearly 40 standing calf raises that is the basic template of SW hurts like a bitch and my calves have noticeably grown in about a month of that.

Richard Schmitt

Yep same here. I get a awesome looking vein running down both of my calves.

Damon Amato
    Participant

That'll be exciting if I ever see that.

Richard Schmitt

Haha I'll take a picture next time I do legs.

BatCountry

Just a thing on calves.. 100 seated calf raises followed by nearly 40 standing calf raises that is the basic template of SW hurts like a bitch and my calves have noticeably grown in about a month of that.

yeah i was just looking at that. I don't know how i'm going to get through this, why would anyone ask for DUP after that? You must be a sadist in the gym!BTW what does AFAP stand for?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

yeah i was just looking at that. I don't know how i'm going to get through this, why would anyone ask for DUP after that? You must be a sadist in the gym!BTW what does AFAP stand for?

AFAP = as few as possibleThe seated calf raises are pretty brutal, but it is a good workout.  I've done much worse things though, like supersetting squats and deadlifts with only 30 seconds in between each superset.

Richard Schmitt

AFAP = as few as possibleThe seated calf raises are pretty brutal, but it is a good workout.  I've done much worse things though, like supersetting squats and deadlifts with only 30 seconds in between each superset.

DONE IT! You're right though...it is brutal. With the calves, I've ugraded from the 45lb weight to adding another 45lb...and trying to get 100reps in one setting yeah that is brutal. Try doing that along with Stiff-Legged Deadlifts/Romanian DL

BatCountry

DONE IT! You're right though…it is brutal. With the calves, I've ugraded from the 45lb weight to adding another 45lb…and trying to get 100reps in one setting yeah that is brutal. Try doing that along with Stiff-Legged Deadlifts/Romanian DLi did it tonight too. yes within one sitting not continuous to a count of 100, that would truly be my superman moment!Oh yeah When I was doing CBL SA, I was doing about 100lbsx60reps before I couldn't do anymore, so took some weight off till I completed 100 reps.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm slightly over 70 reps with a 45 pound plate.  This is also very good for developing pain tolerance!

BatCountry

calves still very tight and sore since friday  ;D

htbone

I thought AFAP meant As FAST as possible. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Newbie shockwave questions…

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?