Nicotine Declassified

• This topic has 30 voices and 171 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 172 total)
  • Author

Proplanner

I explained why. But yes freely given information will be edited out. Clearly for pure respect to the author.

Understand But I suggest you read post number 2 in this thread then.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Did anyone check out the references relating to insulin resistance and nicotine? I did and found this:

Smoking is a risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. However, mechanisms responsible for smoking-induced insulin resistance are unclear. We examined the combined effect of nicotine, a toxic substance in tobacco smoke, and palmitate in the serum physiological concentration range on tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) expression and impairment of glucose uptake in C2C12 myotubes, since smokers do not have increased serum free fatty acid (FFA) concentrations with insulin resistance compared to nonsmokers. C2C12 myotubes were incubated for 24 h with nicotine (1 μmol/l) in the presence or absence of palmitate (200 μmol/l). RT-PCR and Western blotting showed increased TNF-α expression in C2C12 myotubes treated with nicotine in the presence of palmitate. Furthermore, stimulation with nicotine in the presence of palmitate enhanced the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and activated the protein kinase C-nuclear factor-κB (PKC-NF-κB) pathway, as detected by dihydroethidium staining and Western blotting, respectively. Consequently, the translocation of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane as well as insulin-stimulated Akt phosphorylation was impaired, and glucose uptake to the myocytes was blocked. In addition, the production of ROS was suppressed by 4-hydroxy-TEMPO, and inhibition of GLUT4 translocation to the plasma membrane was canceled. These results suggest that in C2C12 myotubes, nicotine in the presence of palmitate enhanced the production of ROS and the expression of TNF-α through the PKC-NF-κB pathway; suppressed GLUT4 translocation to the plasma membrane; and impaired glucose uptake to cells. This pathway represents a possible mechanism by which smoking induces insulin resistance in the body.

Now it makes a lot more sense, the insulin resistance is caused by tGLUT being suppressed so resistance training is a must as only then will it be reactivated. So no nicotine when backloading on off-days I would suggest.

steve_76

Did anyone check out the references relating to insulin resistance and nicotine? I did and found this:

Smoking is a risk factor for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. However, mechanisms responsible for smoking-induced insulin resistance are unclear. We examined the combined effect of nicotine, a toxic substance in tobacco smoke, and palmitate in the serum physiological concentration range on tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) expression and impairment of glucose uptake in C2C12 myotubes, since smokers do not have increased serum free fatty acid (FFA) concentrations with insulin resistance compared to nonsmokers. C2C12 myotubes were incubated for 24 h with nicotine (1 μmol/l) in the presence or absence of palmitate (200 μmol/l). RT-PCR and Western blotting showed increased TNF-α expression in C2C12 myotubes treated with nicotine in the presence of palmitate. Furthermore, stimulation with nicotine in the presence of palmitate enhanced the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and activated the protein kinase C-nuclear factor-κB (PKC-NF-κB) pathway, as detected by dihydroethidium staining and Western blotting, respectively. Consequently, the translocation of GLUT4 to the plasma membrane as well as insulin-stimulated Akt phosphorylation was impaired, and glucose uptake to the myocytes was blocked. In addition, the production of ROS was suppressed by 4-hydroxy-TEMPO, and inhibition of GLUT4 translocation to the plasma membrane was canceled. These results suggest that in C2C12 myotubes, nicotine in the presence of palmitate enhanced the production of ROS and the expression of TNF-α through the PKC-NF-κB pathway; suppressed GLUT4 translocation to the plasma membrane; and impaired glucose uptake to cells. This pathway represents a possible mechanism by which smoking induces insulin resistance in the body.

Now it makes a lot more sense, the insulin resistance is caused by tGLUT being suppressed so resistance training is a must as only then will it be reactivated. So no nicotine when backloading on off-days I would suggest.

I would suggest that you read the book. You can't recommend people to not take nicotine when backloading if you don't understand how this process works to avoid insulin resistance. The book explains everything. I don't understand why people would rather guess how to do it rather than pay a little bit of money, and learn how to do it. All of a sudden lots of people of become advisers of this protocol without even reading nicotine declassified. Rant over.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

I would suggest that you read the book. You can't recommend people to not take nicotine when backloading if you don't understand how this process works to avoid insulin resistance. The book explains everything. I don't understand why people would rather guess how to do it rather than pay a little bit of money, and learn how to do it. All of a sudden lots of people of become advisers of this protocol without even reading nicotine declassified. Rant over.

I have read the report and I'm not recommending people not to take nicotine when backloading! I'm simply saying that you have to resistance train if you do so (Kiefer actually said this himself in the original article, which has been pulled as we know). There is actually nothing specific in the report as to what to do on off-days if backloading. It even states the dosage, on SA, "before your evening workout" - and the other protocols are self explanatory; "Evening Training Protocol" and "Morning Training Protocol" (when tGLUT will have been activated by the training, therefore nicotine will not suppress it). Not only that but the Carb Nite protocol specifically states not to ingest any on the actual Carb Nite and the day after - unless resistance training. So we can extrapolate from that what to do on off-days when backloading - yes, the amount of carbs will be lower in a backload, but insulin resistance will still be a problem in this scenario.

Richard Schmitt

The report is an updated piece of information pertaining to the usage of Nicotine. You can take Nicotine on off days regardless of backloading, because if you notice while on CNS you take it. The reason you wouldn't on the day off and following is because of the amount of carbs you body is holding within that 6-8 hour period a backload should last 2-4 hours, after a resistance training session.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Tex, sorry but I don't believe that to be true. The reference from the original article talking about insulin resistance (which leads off to the quote I have posted) is the same one as in the report. From the original,

Also, ingesting nicotine earlier in the day can cause transient insulin resistance[26], which means that if you’re ingesting nicotine while on Carb Back-Loading, you absolutely must resistance train.

and

You should also make sure that you train on your actual Carb Nites if you’re going to implement nicotine usage while on The Carb Nite Solution—or abstain from nicotine for 24 hours before you feast.

Again, there is nothing in the report stating that you can take Nicotine on off days if backloading. If there is, please direct me to the page and paragraph in question because I can't see it.

steve_76

Tex, sorry but I don't believe that to be true. The reference from the original article talking about insulin resistance (which leads off to the quote I have posted) is the same one as in the report. From the original,

Also, ingesting nicotine earlier in the day can cause transient insulin resistance[26], which means that if you’re ingesting nicotine while on Carb Back-Loading, you absolutely must resistance train.

and

You should also make sure that you train on your actual Carb Nites if you’re going to implement nicotine usage while on The Carb Nite Solution—or abstain from nicotine for 24 hours before you feast.

Again, there is nothing in the report stating that you can take Nicotine on off days if backloading. If there is, please direct me to the page and paragraph in question because I can't see it.

I have been re-reading the book since this discussion started. I think we are getting confused between Carb Nite and CBL. All the book says is to keep the carbs away from the nicotine. After a couple of hours the nicotine has left your system. Don't forget we are consuming low amounts infrequently so there would be no cause for insulin resistance. Carb Nite is different for the reasons that Big Tex has pointed out.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

That's another thing I'm not sure where has come from, nicotine doesn't leave your system in 2 hours. Again from the original,

Nicotine clears the system in roughly 24 hours, but this takes longer in the evening[24]

And again as I say, the insulin resistance remains, it has nothing to do with how many carbs you ingest. I feel that people are reading between the lines of the report and coming up with facts that just aren't there, rather than reading the actual references.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Ah, I think I understand now where this idea of 2 hours clearance comes from. It's not what the report states though. The peak levels are achieved within 30 minutes and (these levels are) maintained for 2 hours (or more) – that's not the same as saying they return to baseline. Heart rate and blood pressure do, yes, but not the nicotine which still has to be metabolized.

Richard Schmitt

Pretty much why you take it a couple of hours away from carb ingestion and training while on CBL. If you want to experiment not taking it on days you don't backload go for it. If you're suspicious about it or worried then do so. I had asked a question not similar but about taking the gum if you're on a 2x re feed a week type routine. I was informed to follow the CBL guidelines, so in my mind keep using nicotine regardless of off or on days. Just cycle it.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

But again, there are no CBL guidelines in the report as to what to do on off-days if backloading. Unless you can point me to it and I'm just missing something obvious.

But again, there are no CBL guidelines in the report as to what to do on off-days if backloading. Unless you can point me to it and I'm just missing something obvious.

If you are doing SA it's the same as the SA protocol, if you are doing the DB protocol it's the same as the DB protocol. It's not any different from a training day.

Peter Hunt
    Participant

We're going round in circles here.. the report only states what to do on training days (both protocols clearly mention training, after all). I don't understand why everyone has discarded completely what was written in the original article, with such advice as

I recommend chewing gum twice per day on training days, and only once per day on non-training days—or not at all.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, believe me. I just don't want people having problems with fat gain/insulin resistance due to advice given which Kiefer himself hasn't ratified.

We're going round in circles here.. the report only states what to do on training days (both protocols clearly mention training, after all). I don't understand why everyone has discarded completely what was written in the original article, with such advice as

I recommend chewing gum twice per day on training days, and only once per day on non-training days—or not at all.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, believe me. I just don't want people having problems with fat gain/insulin resistance due to advice given which Kiefer himself hasn't ratified.

It's gonna depend on your goals.If fat lose is really important to you, then use the gum, if it's less important don't.As long as you avoid it during carb feeds and don't go crazy with how much you use, you will be fine.I will correct myself from an above statement.If you are going to backload on an off day, skip the gum that day.

Richard Schmitt

Guess this would be a good question to ask Kiefer himself.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nicotine Declassified

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?