Nitrates in Bacon? Isn’ t that dangerous?

• This topic has 8 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Eric Shaw

I hear so much talk of people eating pounds and pounds of bacon, but I have never once heard anyone raise a concern about all the nitrates that bacon they are eating. It is my understanding that Nitrates, among other things are one of the leading causes of stomach cancer. That is why it is believed people who ate a ton of cured and smoked meats had a higher incidence of stomach cancer.I would love to hear other peoples of opinions of this.

Damon Amato
    Participant

not correct.  Search nitrates on the forum.  Dr. Patel had a good link to show it's a bunch of crap.

+1This was one of the first things I looked up when I came to this site.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

not correct.  Search nitrates on the forum.  Dr. Patel had a good link to show it's a bunch of crap.

+1Nitrates are naturally occuring substances that you ingest every time you are eating a vegetable.  That is why celery powder is used to cure bacon in some brands.

monsieurjkb

+1Nitrates are naturally occuring substances that you ingest every time you are eating a vegetable.  That is why celery powder is used to cure bacon in some brands.

These are the brands advertising 'No Added Nitrates!!!!' too...http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

I hear so much talk of people eating pounds and pounds of bacon, but I have never once heard anyone raise a concern about all the nitrates that bacon they are eating. It is my understanding that Nitrates, among other things are one of the leading causes of stomach cancer. That is why it is believed people who ate a ton of cured and smoked meats had a higher incidence of stomach cancer.I would love to hear other peoples of opinions of this.

There are a lot of nitrates in beets, too.  Gives an incredible pump.  😉Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

To the OP, I am not sure but I believe the idea that nitrates cause cancer comes from an epidemiological study that linked cured meats to cancer.  Epidemiological studies find correlations, with the intent to determine what to invesitgate further.  The study found that people who ate cured meats statistically were more likely to get cancer.  This does not mean cured meats cause cancer.  What it probably means is that most people who eat cured meats are not health concious people (excluding us and most low carb dieters).  You will see it a lot, but citing epidemiological studies is not good scientific practice.

Fairy

Isn't there something about pregnant women needing to avoid nitrates?

Isn't there something about pregnant women needing to avoid nitrates?

I've heard this, too.  I believe research still needs to be done on the matter.  Seems like everyone around me is popping out kids, so I am always hearing something people should and shouldn't be doing.Cory

Fairy

Lol, that was my science teacher who said that… So thought there might possibly be some merit (but who knows…)

Lol, that was my science teacher who said that... So thought there might possibly be some merit (but who knows...)

Maybe.  I see plenty of pregnant women smoking and drinking, too... I doubt nitrates should even be a sliver of their worries.That said, nitrates can give one fuck of a pump.  All of the muscle mags were on about beet juice about a year ago.  Currently, I use table salt for vascularity... a pinch in my pre-, intra- and post- workout drinks.Cory

Eric Shaw

To the OP, I am not sure but I believe the idea that nitrates cause cancer comes from an epidemiological study that linked cured meats to cancer.  Epidemiological studies find correlations, with the intent to determine what to invesitgate further.  The study found that people who ate cured meats statistically were more likely to get cancer.  This does not mean cured meats cause cancer.  What it probably means is that most people who eat cured meats are not health concious people (excluding us and most low carb dieters).  You will see it a lot, but citing epidemiological studies is not good scientific practice.

NitritesAs noted in a study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," both nitrates and nitrites in food have been linked with cancer and infant methemoglobinemia, a blood disorder. Bacon often contains a form of nitrite known as sodium nitrite, which is used to preserve the meat and protect it from harmful pathogens. According to the University of Minnesota Extension, sodium nitrite releases substances called nitrosamines, which have been proven to cause cancer in animal studies. Bacon that is cooked to a higher temperature releases more nitrosamines than less well done bacon.Caveat Emptor

Dr. Rocky Patel
    Participant

NitritesAs noted in a study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," both nitrates and nitrites in food have been linked with cancer and infant methemoglobinemia, a blood disorder. Bacon often contains a form of nitrite known as sodium nitrite, which is used to preserve the meat and protect it from harmful pathogens. According to the University of Minnesota Extension, sodium nitrite releases substances called nitrosamines, which have been proven to cause cancer in animal studies. Bacon that is cooked to a higher temperature releases more nitrosamines than less well done bacon.Caveat Emptor

hence the reason to bake it at low temp as you should do cooking any meat (ie sous vide, slow bake)aka Robb Wolf style 200 degrees for 2 hours

Richard Schmitt

hence the reason to bake it at low temp as you should do cooking any meat (ie sous vide, slow bake)aka Robb Wolf style 200 degrees for 2 hours

...so this could mean I can have bacon again!?!?! =D I'll have to try it, thanks again Doc

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Cooking anything to a high degree is bad.  Whenever you cook any meat heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are released.  These two substances are highly carcinogenic.  The answer is to not eat meat raw or no meat because they have risks too, but rather not cook the crap out of your meat.  Also high temperature cooking is also not the best method to use frequently.It is all a matter of amount.  Like I said earlier, if you are scared about nitrates, watch your vegetable intake before your bacon intake.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Nitrates in Bacon? Isn’ t that dangerous?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?