No Offday Shockwave

• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ChetSteadman
    Participant

I'm currently doing Shockwave along with the Bench Challenge, one workout per bodypart(s) per week as defined. My goal is hypertrophy though I know Shockwave is not a true hypertrophy routine. I tried Heavy Duty, and it really beat me down. There are probably things I could do to increase my recovery capacity, but for the last month or so HD wasn't fitting well with my life anyway(maybe in the future), plus I just really like Shockwave.My question is, has anybody tried running Shockwave with no rest days? Or only one rest day? I feel like it would be better for hypertrophy, and maybe even strength, assuming you stay within you're CNS recovery rate, which, if you're doing Shockwave properly, I don't personally see being an issue. Truthfully, I assume it's only partitioned the way it is due to the fact that the seven day week that humans follow is structured the way it is. If our week was 11 days long, would we just do one workout per bodypart per week then as well? I'm curious if there's a scientific reason for the spacing, rather than just convenience.Anyway, good idea? Bad idea? Foolish idea?

You could easily set SW up as a push/pull/lower 6 day split and providing you don't let your ego under the bar you could do really well with it. Although I would do a slower continuous PSR ramp to get more volume so you end up with 8-15 “sets”

Martin Tran
    Participant

The protocol calls for going up in levels depending on how you feel, so theoretically it's doable.

ChetSteadman
    Participant

You could easily set SW up as a push/pull/lower 6 day split and providing you don't let your ego under the bar you could do really well with it. Although I would do a slower continuous PSR ramp to get more volume so you end up with 8-15 "sets"

What exactly do you mean by push/pull/lower 6-day split? Like Push A - Pull A - Lower A - Push B - Pull B - Lower B? With no rest days?The extended PSR sets could be good too. Kiefer talked about that with Marci Nevins on one of the podcasts if I remember correctly. Though I'm not sure how in depth he went, if he even went further then, "Yeah, you can do that". I'll have to check that out again.

The protocol calls for going up in levels depending on how you feel, so theoretically it's doable.

Exactly. I mean, really, one of the main premises of the protocol is to allow you to continuously train without a deload week. And, if your diet is in tune and your trying to gain muscle, I think you could definitely push the envelope with it.

Jeff Williams
    Participant

Exactly. I mean, really, one of the main premises of the protocol is to allow you to continuously train without a deload week. And, if your diet is in tune and your trying to gain muscle, I think you could definitely push the envelope with it.

The issue with this, and any other strength and conditioning program is that your immune system and Central Nervous System require rest.  If rest is limited, it defeats the purpose of performing the SWP.  The workouts are meant to be tough, but still leave something left to be desired.  That is why it is set up the way it is, but also can be modified to still provide volume and consistency.  The other aspect is to provide adequate rest so that when you come back to training, you feel rejuvenated and not for like you have to deload or have an off week.  6 day a week training programs are only going to catch up with you in the long run.  Just my opinion.

ChetSteadman
    Participant

The issue with this, and any other strength and conditioning program is that your immune system and Central Nervous System require rest.  If rest is limited, it defeats the purpose of performing the SWP.  The workouts are meant to be tough, but still leave something left to be desired.  That is why it is set up the way it is, but also can be modified to still provide volume and consistency.  The other aspect is to provide adequate rest so that when you come back to training, you feel rejuvenated and not for like you have to deload or have an off week.  6 day a week training programs are only going to catch up with you in the long run.  Just my opinion.

Yeah, I hear you. Rest and recovery capacity is a huge part of any training program. This is very individual though. Two people can do the same program and get drastically different results because of their recovery habits. Now, SW is designed to minimize the negative effects of training on the CNS, which most other programs do not account for, at least not on a per workout basis. Also, according to Kiefer and Thib's, the ELECT style rep performance can be used as an active recovery technique(ie. only going up to Level 1 if your not feelin' it).On top of that, SW, at its roots, was designed(I'm pretty sure) to be used when cutting, which will hamper your recovery capacity. This is why I think that if one is trying to put on weight, thus eating more than a maintenance amount of food, they may be able to push SW further.Of course, having said all that, I do still think everything has to be accounted for, for this to work; the PSR sets cannot be overdone, workouts are actually modulated by how you feel, rest and recovery is dialed in, diet is dialed in, etc. Could this be asking for too much? For some people, maybe. But pushing your body and seeing its limits and capacities is fun to do  😛

Currently I'm using Thib's stuff which SWP is based off of, and training 7 days a week and feel amazing. As long as you can be honest with yourself it works great.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

No Offday Shockwave

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?