No Results Carb Nite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mi2k

Doing carb nite for bout a month. Weight has only gone up. What could be the problem?
    Carbs are under 20g, protein is moderate/high, fat is moderate/high
    I train hard – I feel I am doing everything right – once the scale goes up from a carb nite it doesn’t seem to come back down…

Thanks

Teabo
    Participant

A bit more information would be useful, could you tell us:

What have your carb nites consisted of? Can you list the foods you ate?
    What sort of training do you do, you say you train hard, but what exactly (crossfitter? HIIT? resistance training?)
    What weight are you currently at? What is your current macronutrient split, in grams?

mi2k

@TTebo
    Haven’t counted calories.. probably 60% fat 35% protein 5% carbs ( if i had to estimate fat 130-150g fat, 120-140g of protein, 10g of carbs)
    Resistance training (5 days) with cardio (2-3 days)
    Carb Nites are dirty… fruity pebbles, bread, pop tarts etc.

Richard Schmitt

Weight?

The problem is your training, it’s too much on CNS.

mi2k

But I shouldn’t be gaining?
    I know it isn’t fat but it’s hard to measure my fat loss accurately

Robert Haas
    Participant

Either cut back on the training or switch to CBL. Resistance train 5 days a week requires more carbs than one refeed a week.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

But I shouldn’t be gaining?
    I know it isn’t fat but it’s hard to measure my fat loss accurately

How do you know it isn’t fat? If you are overtraining and undereating, your body could be stressed out, cortisol could be high, and it could be sucking up everything you consume on carb nite and holding onto it dearly.

I would ask how you have felt ~otherwise~. How is your sleep? Are you experiencing any signs of anxiety? Heart palpitations, etc? Do you feel relaxed, happy, and cool as a cucumber most of the time … or, do you feel stressed?

I am assuming you are a man, of an unknown weight at this time, but your macros look like what a woman around here can eat. And you are training — a lot. It’s too much training for Carb Nite, yes, but I think it may also be too little food. That may not make sense to you at first, but I can tell you that LOTS of undereating folks start to bump up their calories and finally see some weight loss. It’s pretty common, actually.

Richard Schmitt

Exactly what Shadow said, and like I said it’s your training. It’s toour much, and yes you can be gaining because of your stress hormones latching on.

mi2k

Yeah.. thanks guys. I plan on upping calories and I will see waht happens.. Generally feel good – strength is increasing quite rapidly oddly enough – have been quite calm and relaxed though

mi2k

@BigTex
    @curious
    I weight about 150lbs yeah – cutting now. Could I incoporate a carb backload say Wednesday and a Carb nite say Saturday as a routine. So wednesday after training I would use oats, whey, maybe some potato or rice – I would stay within my “caloric limit” surely.. small refeed I guess and 100% “clean” and then saturday have my “dirtier” refeed or carb nite with excess cals I presume…
    Would fat loss be easier like this?

Richard Schmitt

It could, it would just depend. You could have carbs every time you train to help cut down in weight. Especially if you’re training as much, and what it seems like you’re not wanting to do. Having carbs 2x a week won’t help too much in my opinion.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

I think we’re all in agreement that if you choose to train as much as you have been doing, you should have more carbs.

How many, how often — that really does come down to individual preference, and what YOUR body is telling you.

If you are feeling good in general, strength is good, energy and sleep are good, and you actually feel like you are making gains in the gym — then I think adding a mid-week clean backload, as you described, sounds like a great place to start. See how that goes for awhile, and go from there.

If the idea of carbs every night or more of a CBL approach appeals to you, that could work well, also. What are your goals? What brought you to Carb Nite in the first place?

Cas Wilson

This happened to me. It was over training & under eating which elevated cortisol. Situation rectified by including more recovery? Periodising training and once I got down to 16% BF (I’m female) I swtuched to CBL

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

Speaking from personal experience, the best result from CNS came from significantly reducing the amount of training throughout the week. Instead of resistance training and HIIT, I simply only did some HIIT sessions as that’s all the time allowed for me to do at that time. It’s very true that undereating + overtraining can result in the opposite of fat loss.

Also, how long have you been training? And what kind of resistance training is it? Can you also tell us your height?
    The reason why I’m asking is because it seems like you’re trying to lose weight when you’re already at a point of being light weight. Unless you are a woman (I’m assuming you’re a male) or is very very short (like 5 feet tall), it’s very difficult to lose fat. Even with still a good amount of fat to lose, if you don’t have enough lean mass, it gets very hard to lose fat because you have to take your caloric intake to such a low number that it starts to have negative impact on your body. Add frequent and intense training to the equation, and you are right on the path to destroying and severely impairing your metabolism.

No matter how hard I tried, I could never get my body percentage below a certain point, because I simply lacked the mass to eat enough to not cause a negative effect on the body. Since lowering calories wasn’t an option, I went with the route of increasing activity (running, which was a horrible idea) and resulted in just becoming even more skinny-fat. I understand wanting to lose fat, but you may have to throw that thought out of your head for a while, focus on training hard (since you said you already do) and put on a good amount of mass, so that fat loss becomes much easier.

I’m no expert by any means, and what I’ve laid out is just a personal experiences and suggestions, in hopes that you might get something out of it.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

mi2k

@curious
    @CasWilson
    @yre674

Appreciate all the advice. I am about 5’5″ male… around 15% BF (not sure – don’t think I am any higher though)
    Currently trying to lose bodyfat
    I generally like keto diets so I’m not too keen on CBL but if that could get me sub 10% easier than a CKD or Carb Nite I’d be very keen. I am fairly new to training…pretty strong though.. I have now upped my fat intake to around 170-180g a day and I will see how that goes. My Carb Nites were horrible – probably over-ate (maybe 4k calories)

I think I’ll keep at this to see how it goes.. I think I have gotten a bit leaner but I need to change something. If I don’t get desired results I will try a clean backload on Wednesday and maybe just a small Carb Nite?

Thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

No Results Carb Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?