Podcast Episode 2 – Exercise Efficiency and Paleo

• This topic has 8 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

https://soundcloud.com/body-io-fm/02-effecient-exercise-arxlooks like these guys put together the ultimate compact HIT machine

Chuck

Liked it. Hope they run the I.O. podcast frequently. Also wish they would advertise the DH gear or I.O. gear.  8)

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yea that machine seems VERY revolutionary.  I am skeptical though that it will be able to take the place of barbell training completely.  I just don't see how that machine will allow for the development of coordination like how barbell exercises do.

Yea that machine seems VERY revolutionary.  I am skeptical though that it will be able to take the place of barbell training completely.  I just don't see how that machine will allow for the development of coordination like how barbell exercises do.

I'm gonna get a chance to try them at PFX, plus the place I work is actaully looking at getting a few of the ARX machines for our studio. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm going to PFX.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm gonna get a chance to try them at PFX, plus the place I work is actaully looking at getting a few of the ARX machines for our studio. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm going to PFX.

That would be the only thing I'd be interested in seeing there. 

Gnomer
    Participant

i couldn't see it replacing barbell training but would be very helpful for doing HIT style training in terms of hypertrophy without the need for a spotter or risk of injury.. and for the purposes they talk about in the podcast like rehabilitation and such

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

i couldn't see it replacing barbell training but would be very helpful for doing HIT style training in terms of hypertrophy without the need for a spotter or risk of injury.. and for the purposes they talk about in the podcast like rehabilitation and such

Exactly. 

I was just kinda confused how Kiefer kept slamming bands and chains but didn't mention weight releasers. The machine loads the eccentric phase heavy and then lets off for the concentric. Kiefer kept mentioning how bands and chains load the opposite (which they do) but didn't mention weight releasers which load the eccentric heavy then let off for the concentric. I feel like that is a decent way to mimic the machine with a barbell.

Gnomer
    Participant

I was just kinda confused how Kiefer kept slamming bands and chains but didn't mention weight releasers. The machine loads the eccentric phase heavy and then lets off for the concentric. Kiefer kept mentioning how bands and chains load the opposite (which they do) but didn't mention weight releasers which load the eccentric heavy then let off for the concentric. I feel like that is a decent way to mimic the machine with a barbell.

it actually doesn't really though.. he has a video on youtube doing a demonstration. One guy is doing a pulldown as you pulldown you pull at maximum force you can handle. When you letoff the machine will go back to its start position but keeps the tension so you can hold onto the handles pretty much as hard as possible and get crazy amount of resistence in both directions

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

There are two possible reasons:1.  Weight releasers only load the first eccentric contraction.  So if you are doing a set of 5, only the first eccentric is loaded, unless you have partners reload the weight releaser after every rep.  The machine loads every eccentric much more easily.2.  Kiefer may not be aware that weight releasers exist.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

it actually doesn't really though.. he has a video on youtube doing a demonstration. One guy is doing a pulldown as you pulldown you pull at maximum force you can handle. When you letoff the machine will go back to its start position but keeps the tension so you can hold onto the handles pretty much as hard as possible and get crazy amount of resistence in both directions

What he means is that it can load the eccentric portion more and the concentric portion less.

Gnomer
    Participant

What he means is that it can load the eccentric portion more and the concentric portion less.

if you look at the demonstration on youtube it doesn't really look that way.. it looks like you get pretty much full resistence for the entire range of a lift

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

if you look at the demonstration on youtube it doesn't really look that way.. it looks like you get pretty much full resistence for the entire range of a lift

Exactly that's what's I just said.  Say you are bench 180 for 5 reps.  You can program the machine to have 180 lbs for the concentric and say 210 lbs on the eccentric.  The machine can increase the resistance on the eccentric if you'd like since you are stronger on eccentric contractions.  You can also make the resistance 0 on the eccentric for concentric only training, which Kiefer said is useful for diabetics. 

Gnomer
    Participant

Exactly that's what's I just said.  Say you are bench 180 for 5 reps.  You can program the machine to have 180 lbs for the concentric and say 210 lbs on the eccentric.  The machine can increase the resistance on the eccentric if you'd like since you are stronger on eccentric contractions.  You can also make the resistance 0 on the eccentric for concentric only training, which Kiefer said is useful for diabetics.

i see what you are saying

Umayr Allem
    Participant

Has anybody managed to get around to trying this thing? I got in touch with them and they are working on updating the hardware and software which is expected to be released later this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Podcast Episode 2 – Exercise Efficiency and Paleo

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?