Poor sleep on actual carb nite

• This topic has 6 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

Is anyone else like this….For the last three carb nites (and they tend to be full of sugar and carbs) I toss and turn thru the night.  My sleep is soo disrupted.  I will awaken multiple times and be almost wide awake.  Two out of the three I was curious what my blood sugar was doing and checked it.  One night it was mid 80's other night mid 90's.  I usually have a daily 1500 calories  and carb nites tend to end up around 2200 with about 260ish of carbs.  I am #101 and 5'1"Could it be the amount that I eat, the type of carbs, or something else.  Anyone have similar issues?  Am I overdoing it?  I almost don't want to have my carb nite for the simple fact that I may not sleep.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I've had similar problems when I eat right up until bedtime. Shutting it down an hour (or two if possible) before sleeping helps a lot.YMMV.

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

Good point.  Although I stopped eating close to 2 hours before bed, I consumed 1500 in my last three hour window!  :o. Could be worth considering.

Scope75

What usually makes up your last carb load?

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

Last night was homemade gluten free pancakes(3)with honey and 3 gluten free oreo's.This article may explain it... Too many sugarshttp://www.drgangemi.com/articles/power_sleep/

Penny Danner
    Participant

My sleep got better the longer I kept with doing CN.

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

My sleep got better the longer I kept with doing CN.

Do you tend to go overboard on the sugars?  I think next week I will go with more starch like potatoes or such.  My

Penny Danner
    Participant

Yeah, I do eat a lot of sweets…..my last spike is always a pint of Talenti gelato and last night i had most of a cinnamon roll with it.My first spike is usually dinner of some sort of sandwich, sushi, pizza, mexican; then I do sweets and last night I added Cheeze its and then my ice cream last.

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

Wonder what my problem is….that does sound like more sugar.  Hopefully my tweaking will get better.

Scope75

Try a starchy CN with less sugars and see how that works. Also try adding some fat to your last carb load.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Sugar can be a stimulant, just like caffeine.  I mean, there is no doubt that my kids have more trouble settling when they've had sugar.  It's a no-brainer that I wouldn't give them ice cream and then try to take them grocery shopping for an hour.  😉  lol  It sounds like it is acting as a stimulant for you, and some of us are more sensitive to stimulants than others.  How do you do with caffeine?  Are you having caffeine past noon on these days?  The combo of the two may be too much, if so.

Roadblock
    Participant

Try a starchy CN with less sugars and see how that works. Also try adding some fat to your last carb load.

When I backload I get the same problem if I run it too long. Also adding fats to the last meal helped a lot.RB

Scope75

Had a pretty low sugar CN last night and slept like a rock all night long. Had about 30g fat within a hour or crashing out.

Penny Danner
    Participant

When I backload I get the same problem if I run it too long. Also adding fats to the last meal helped a lot.RB

My ice cream has lots of fat do maybe that is why it works fir me to get good sleep.  Coffee ice cream isn't a good choice...just saying. Lol

Giovanna Sherwood
    Participant

+1 on More starch and fat.  I do think sugar is a stimulant and hence my restlessness.  Thanks for all the input.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Poor sleep on actual carb nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?