POST BEFORE AND AFTER PICS HERE FOR DH

• This topic has 117 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sharon Hamlin.
Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author

jadedpoison

Hey guys,I've never posted here on DH but I am a frequent lurker 😉I just wanted to share my results. I started dabbling with exercise & weights in early-mid 2012 last year, but I did not know how to eat. I was just beginning with weight training but I was also doing too much steady state cardio.. yuck. I also tried "eating clean 6-7x/day" with low GI carbs, low-fat foods, and lean meats. Absolutely miserable. Not to mention all the hours of cleanup & dishes one must do after constant food prep  >:( lol. Then I stopped working out May 2012 due to a surgery and had a really hard time staying consistent since.Anyway, January 2013 I made the decision to start exercising & eating right again. Too bad I was still "eating clean".. until I discovered and purchased CBL in February and I gotta say, THANK GOD, otherwise I would have wasted more months of seeing no results. I tried CN as well for 3 weeks in March, but mostly I have been Carb Back-Loading. So, I would say 2-3 months of CBL.Here were my 2012 Stats:Height: 5'0"Age: 21-22Weight: 130BF: 30%+And today, my current Stats:Height: 5'0"Age: 23Weight: 120BF: 19%But I suppose pictures say a lot more than numbers, so here is my one-year progress in visual form:ER4NRAG.jpgI am currently lifting heavy 4-5x/week, focusing on main exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench press for strength, as well as accessory lifts for aesthetics. I am doing a lot of heavy lower body work, since I am female and need to develop that area the most. I find if I work upper body too much, I bulk up there right away  😛 so my upper-body consists of pull-ups, rows, and arm & shoulder work, on top of the main compound lifts. I am also not afraid to lift heavier each week, and I like to switch up my set/rep amounts for muscle confusion.As for cardio, I've ditched all steady-state cardio and instead focus on HIIT a few times a week, Tabata & circuit exercises (for laundry days, when I can't go to the gym, or days I gotta stay home with my little son). I am doing 1-2 rest days a week.I can happily say I've gone from lazy, and unmotivated, to very active and goal-oriented. And strong! I'm thinking of competing in the near, near future.I have Kiefer and DH.com for arming me with so much helpful knowledge when it comes to proper nutrition. I did doubt the science at first, but I'm so glad I decided to experiment with it. I NEVER thought I could look like my "after" photos.

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Great to hear about your results looking good. Keep kicking ass jaded

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Excellent work!  Your skin looks better in the after photos too.  As far as exercise, you might want to check out Bret Contrares's website here:  http://bretcontreras.com/He has the best training info for women in my opinion.  Whether if you're look to compete in figure or bikini, or if you just want to look sexy.  He gives excellent recommendations that are specific for each case.

jadedpoison

Thank you all! Yes, I've been making some really good food choices for my ULC meals, and I've also noticed my hair is growing rather healthily too. And my mood is better just being able to eat fat.. and bacon.. yes…  Just lots of good changes!As for Bret Contreras, I am actually a very big fan of his. I should have mentioned that a lot of my lower-body exercises come from HIS recommendations and protocols... hence the gluteal development. I'm looking into purchasing his most recent book, Strong Curves. Doesn't hurt to have more knowledge, and can definitely help me switch up the workouts.

Gl;itch.e

As for Bret Contreras, I am actually a very big fan of his. I should have mentioned that a lot of my lower-body exercises come from HIS recommendations and protocols... hence the gluteal development.

I can tell! (;

om1kron

my progress has been an up and down road, mainly due to off time. Going to be switching to carb back loading in a few weeks now that I'm at 15% body fat from 22% when I started back in december. I keep a blog and have dexa scans posted on it. http://waynescn.blogspot.comOnce I hit the 12 week mark I should be 13% then it's CBL time.

amanda walls
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd87lufdgzp6s0k/MDupuis%20shot.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/sekhv9id7a07kel/238.JPGHey Kiefer and co I used cns for my show prep...it took about 6months for this.....going from 20%bf at 143 to 12% at 119. Measured. Y calipers anyway....but consistency is most important.Thanks for the info.I am considering using cbl for my off season...next one 9 months away. Will keep you posted.All the best! Amanda

amanda walls
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd87lufdgzp6s0k/MDupuis%20shot.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/sekhv9id7a07kel/238.JPGHey Kiefer and co I used cns for my show prep...it took about 6months for this.....going from 20%bf at 143 to 12% at 119. Measured. Y calipers anyway....but consistency is most important.Thanks for the info.I am considering using cbl for my off season...next one 9 months away. Will keep you posted.All the best! Amanda

amanda walls
    Participant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd87lufdgzp6s0k/MDupuis%20shot.jpghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/sekhv9id7a07kel/238.JPGHey Kiefer and co I used cns for my show prep...it took about 6months for this.....going from 20%bf at 143 to 12% at 119. Measured. Y calipers anyway....but consistency is most important.Thanks for the info.I am considering using cbl for my off season...next one 9 months away. Will keep you posted.All the best! AmandaSorry...first on link did not work.

Mikehr

Absolutely stunning! Great work! Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

This is a GREAT reference for supplements IMHO:http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1318-bulletproof-supplements-nootropics-guide/

What's up, my elitist friends?Here's my summary and notes on supplements and nootropics. If you want full overview of science go to http://www.examine.com for each of the suggested nutrient or just google WebMD to your heart's content.Sources: this blog, podcasts, this forum.DISCLAIMER: NOT MY RECOMMENDATIONS - THESE ARE JUST MY NOTES. I AM NOT A DOC.STATUS: CORE DONE, minor changes likely.TODO (sometime...): minimising pills, links for alcohol protocol (need only low doses), adaptogenic herbs, B5, B6, B1, GABA, Mag Threonate, Zinc, EGCG, CoQ10, milk thistle, lithium, glycine.

BP STACKS AND PROTOCOLS

Budget: D3 (drops), Magnesium, Iodine + Selenium.Minimum recommended: D3, Magnesium + Potassium, Iodine + Selenium, DHA/EPA, K2, Vit C, Vit A, Copper, B12 + Folinic Acid.Level 2 (other clear suggestions): Calcium-D-Glucarate, Collagen, Lipoceutical Glutathione, L-Glutamine.Other: PQQ, Adaptogenic herbs, B1, B6, Idebenone, Mag Threonate, Calcium-AEP, DAO, Lipase.Nutraceuticals (support, natural): ALCAR, DHA/EPA, Caffeine, L-Glutamine.Core nootropics: Aniracetam (±choline), Creatine.Nootropics, hardcore: modafinil (Provigil).Other protocols:Injuries: BCAA (5g/d), L-Glutamine (40g/d for 2 weeks), Collagen. Extra: boron, phosophorous, silica.Cold, infections that kind of thing: Vit-C, Activated charcoal, Vit D.Liver support, fat digestion: N-Acetyl-Cysteine, Vit C, Lipoceutical Glutathione, Betane HCL.Rapid fast loss: http://www.bulletpro...-loss-protocol/Healing gut: L-Glutamine 8x10g for 5 days, then 10g 3 days out of 7; probiotics.Mobility: Hydrolized collagen, Serrapeptase.Detox: Lipoceutical Glutathione, Activated charcoal, Calcium-D-Glucarate, N-Acetyl-Cysteine.Cortisol/Adrenal issues: Glycine, Adaptogenic herbs.

LINKS

My shoppe of choice is iHerb.iHerb COUPON: FOG475 - $10 off for you, I get some % for supplements - I'd appreciate it if you find my efforts useful.Basics (±$75):D3 ($1/mo), Iodine (x1, $3/mo), Vitamin K2 (x1, $7/mo).Alternative: Iodine, D3, K2 - x1.5, morning - $15/mo.B12 + Folinic Acid - x1+1, $10/mo.Alternative: B-Complex + lower dose B12 - x1+1, $10/mo.Selenium - x1, $3/mo.Vitamin A - x1, $1/mo.Zinc + Copper. x1, $3/mo; NB: don't take if you eat liver (too much copper)!Vitamin C - x1-2, $4-5/mo.Krill Oil or fish oil. Dose up to you, but $20-ish.Magnesium: Blends: VRP (x5, $20/mo), Ultra-Mag (x3, $8! - note: hard to swallow); Citrate - Natural Calm (7.5g, $10/mo), Malate (x5, $9/mo), Glycinate (x6, $14/mo). ! MULTIVITAMIN OPTIONS (still lacking in D3, Mag, and K2), all by Thorne Research:for women - Basic Nutrients IV (incl. copper & iron);no copper/iron - Basic Nutrients III;w/copper - Extra Nutrients. Others:Creatine - 5g/day - $3/mo.Aniracetam x1-2 - $25-$50.ALCAR x2, morning - $15/mo.R-Alpha Lipoic Acid x1, morning. $18/mo. Don't forget to cycle.N-Acetyl-Cystine - x1, $3/mo. Don't forget to cycle.Calcium D-Glucarate - $35+/mo.Serrapeptase - x1, night on empty, $10/mo.Collagen - x1, night, $22/mo.Other links: Zinc (30mg), L-Glutamine (powder), Lipoceutical Glutathione, Whey, Ubiquinol, Potassium.MONEY SAVING PROTIP:Buy powdered supplements and cap yourself. Ends up ~half the price. Try here: PureBulk (lots of stuff), BulkPowders (UK), IronScience (UK). You'll need to get a "capping" machine. Cheap as well. Check different size capsules. 0 - 3-400mg. 00 is approx 0.6-0.7g, 000 is 1.1-1.2g. The process is very simple and easy. Takes 10-15 mins per 50 caps.

SUPPLEMENTS

Multivitamin.- A case AGAINST: imbalance of nutrients, low quality, can contain toxic forms of certain, imbalanced in the context of your diet, most amounts are too tiny to be meaningful.- One pill a day - it's IMPOSSIBLE to put everything in one pill. Some nutrients are big molecules, and as such Magnesium.- If you must do a multi, make sucre it's at least 6-7+ pills packaged per day.Vitamin DPrimary function: maintaining calcium/phosphorous levels, mineralization of bone, massive role in immune system.Why: almost everyone is deficient.Form: D3.Dose: 1000 IU per 25lb of body weight. In the morning. 1500kIU/25lb if brown skinned.Notes: GET TESTED (!). Aim for 75nmol/L. Adjust intake based on results.Suggested brand: Purity Products, Life Extension.Budget option: D3 drops (in oil) - dirt cheap.MagnesiumRole: essential dietary minetal, heart, brain, neuronal health. Participates pretty much everywhere.Why: second most deficient after Vit D.Forms: Citrate, malate, glycinate, threonate, or orotate.Dose: 600-800 (elemental) mg/day before bedtime.Brands: Natural Calm, VRP (simpler).Note: read the label of your supp. Elemental magnesium is usually sub-30% of the stuff you are taking - make sure you get enough.Vitamin K2Primary role: maintain bone mineralization.Why: you didn't eat your butter and grass fed meat when you were small. Hard to get from food in good doses. Apparently amazing for teeth/gum health. "Activator X" from WAP studies.Forms: MK-4 & MK-7.Dose: 2000mcg/d total with 100mcg from MK-7. Take ideally with D.Brand: Life Extension.Vitamin CRole: antioxidant, co-enzyme for collagen, and lots of other functions.Why: widely used antioxidant, needs a constant supply.Dose: 1-2g/day, morning and evening.Forms: Ascorbic acid crystals, or time release formulas.Brand: Solaray. Now Foods.Cycle: YES, skip some days, take more/less sometimes, randomize.Good idea: take with collagen.PotassiumRole: electrolyte, proper nerve signaling, heart & muscle functioning.Why: magnesium is absorbed better with it. Same with potassium. Synergistic.Form: citrate.Dosage: 200-400mg, take with Mg.Note: actually common in foods BP limits (bananas, milk, potatoes, for example).IodineRole: necessary for thyroid hormones.Why: common deficiency, unless you eat seaweed and sea fish regularly.Forms: Kelp Powder or Potassium Iodide capsules.Brands: NOW Foods Kelp Powder (dirt cheap); Pure Encapsulations potassium iodide; budget - Lugol's Iodine.Dose: 1mg/day, anytime.Good idea: don't take without Selenium; it might be detrimental otherwise.Vitamin ARole: vision, new cell formation, gene transcription, skin.Why: essential to supplement if you don't eat organ meats (you should). Plants have beta-carotene, it is converted poorly in humans.Dose: 10-15kIU/day, anytime.Form: retinol (palmitate).Brand: Green Fermented Cod Liver Oil (Arctic Mint flavor); cheap in pill form.SeleniumRole: to reduces damage of oxidation and toxins, helps other antioxidants.Why: soil sources inconsistent, must take if taking iodine.Form: Se Methyl Selenocysteine or SelenomethionineDose: 200mcg, anytime. Don't overdose (!) - it is toxic at high doses.Brand: Life Extension.Good idea: don't take without Iodine; it might be detrimental otherwise.CopperRole: part of various enzymes, necessary for collagen, melanin (skin/hair quality).Why: you are not eating your liver (you should), a zinc balance issue for those who sup. with Zn.Dose: 1mg/day. Don't take if you eat liver regularly.Forms: Capsule.Brand: Life Extension.NB: Don't take if you eat nuts or liver regularly. 4 oz (~100 g) liver = ~14mg of copper.DHA/EPA (Omega 3)Role: essential fatty acid, brain function, cell membranes.Why: you eat too much n-6 with a wrong balance.Form: krill oil, if price is a concern, fish oil.Dose: 1g/day of krill oil. 1g of actual EPA/DHA if you don't get grass fed meat (3g of krill oil?).Personal note: 2/3 krill oil = 1 fish oil.Brand: Jarrow for both. Budget option - liquid fish oil.Personal note: probably need a lot more if heavily exercising.B12 + Folinic Acid (B9)Roles: B12 - necessary for DNA functions, red blood cell and neurotransmitter production, works with folinic acid.Why: B12 - common deficiency, needs folinic acid to be safe and absorbed/used well.Dose: 5mg B12 as (Methylcobalamin or Hydroxycobalamin).Dose: 800mcg B9 folinic acid (5-MTHF) - NOT FOLIC ACID.Personal note (not D.A.): these seem excessive. A good B-complex seems like a better idea overall - I don't understand the rationale behind these dosages.

L-GlutaminePrimary function: becomes an essential amino acid if sick or injured, gut bacteria food, stomach lining.Nootropic-esque: helps improve seratonin and GABA levels = less anxiety, more willpower kind of gig.Other: reported to reduce sugar cravings/hunger.Dosage: up to 40g/d for a few weeks if sick; even up to 80g for regular health issues; Take on empty stomach. 10-20g x3/week for maintenance.Brand: Now Foods, lots of other brands.Alternative: whey protein in as much as 1.5g per 10g of whey protein. So, if you take in 50g of whey post exercise 3 times a week, probably not necessary.Protocol: if you have gut issues, do 80g a day (10g spaced every 2h) for 7 days.CollagenWhat: main building block of connective tissue.Why: you'll be more flexible, move better, lowers injury risk.Form: Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides.Dose: 1-2 tablespoons/day in evening.Brand: Dave's Upgraded Self.Personal note: Alternative: Neocells/Dr's Best: Type 1+3 & Type 2. If doing this - take separately (at least a few hours apart - they will bind together otherwise).Other notes: more effective than glucosamine chondroitin & MSM.SerrapeptaseWhy: fights strokes, thins blood, reduces visible scars, helps flexibility, dissolves internal scar tissue (!).Dosage: 3 standard size caps (that's probably 1,2k IU)Brand: Source Naturals, Dr's Best.Other notes: for visible scars "you need a lot of it".

DETOX

Activated CharcoalFunction: It binds toxins, vitamins, minerals as well as pharmaceuticals.Form: acid washed coconut charcoal extra fine.Brand: Source Naturals.As a detox protocal: 2-10 caps (500mg each) 2-3 times a day.Take 2h AWAY from other supplements or drugs. If used to counteract bad food: take within 1 hours after eating.Personal note: other forms are probably fine too; non-toxic.GlutathioneWhat: primary detoxifier in the body (produced in body), recycles antioxidants, important for immune and brain function. More info.Why: toxin rich diet and environment overstresses the natural production; anti-aging in a way.Form: Lipoceutical Glutathione, Brand: Upgraded Self.Alternative #1: Cold-Processed Whey concentrate (cheapest).Alternative #2: N-Acetyl-Cysteine + ALA.N-Acetyl Cysteine ("NAC")What: antioxidant, amino acid.Why: for glutathione production (precursor), direct anti-toxin, even some nootropic value.Dosage: 600mg/d.Brand: NOW Foods, many others.Alternative: comes in whey in as much as 800mg per 10g of whey protein.Note: don't take if you eat whey regularly.NB: antioxidant, cycle.Bentonite Clay. Brand: Now Foods; Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (Amazon)Calcium D-GlucarateWhat: natural compound produced in low amounts as a detoxifierWhy: cancer prevention, liver detox, excess estrogen, decreses LDLMore info: http://www.bulletpro...um-d-glucarate/Dose: 500-1000mg for detox, anytime.Brand: Source Naturals.Dave takes 4x500mg as maintenance.Chlorella.Dose: 25g for anti-mercury w/ fish.Note: make sure you get a clean variety. Avoid grown in Japan.Good Brand: Sun Chlorella, but expensive.

NOOTROPICS

Please do your research before you go balls deep into this part. Unlike supplements, the information is limited, so just do your research so you know what you are doing!A good idea is to TEST your "stacks" by doing some attention and cognitive tests such as http://www.quantified-mind.com or Dual-N-Back.For your convenience here are some information soruces for you to get you started:http://www.gwern.net/Nootropics (start here)http://www.thinkingi....com/nootropics (excellent)http://www.reddit.co...faqs/nootropics (extensive)http://www.longecity...9-brain-health/ - huge forum for nootropics, but lots of "broscience," so verify verify verify.Dave's suggestion - read Steve Fowkes "Smart Drugs & Nutrients II."SUPPORT/NUTRACEUTICALS (non-drug)

L-Carnitine ("ALCAR")What: part of acetylcholine (neurotransmitter) cycle, mitochondrial health and bioenergetic support. Necessary to put fat/carbs into mitochondria.Nootropic value: alertness+, mitochondria health+, neuronal support, acetylcholine levels+.Form: Acetyl-L-Carnitine.Dosage: 500-2g of ALCAR. Usually recommended with Alpha Lipoic Acid (200-300 mg of R-ALA). Do not exceed 2g. Morning.Brand: Jarrow, also available as powder.Note: The older you are the more valuable this is (as with CoQ10).Note: May help regulate cortisol levels (!).Note: May be used instead of extra choline (it participates in ACh synthesis).Alpha-Lipoic-Acid ("ALA")Role: antioxidant; helps raise liver Glutathione.Why: (in context of taking with ALCAR) - reduces mitochondrial oxidation where ALCAR increases activity of them (apparently only in high dosages, reason to believe it's not an issue up to 2g at all). They are related molecules.According to R.Wolf: "helps improve dopamine signaling".Dosage: 200-300mg, with ALCAR.Form: R-ALA.Source for this: Examine.com, Robb Wolf.Cycle: yes, antioxidant.CreatineWhat: stored form of energy (ATP) that is fast to release.Why: helps cells work better under high intensity, makes you a bit smarter, improves endurance.Form: monohydrate.Dosage: 3-5g/day. Loading and cycling not necessary.Summary: safe, cheap, effective.NB: monohydrate will cause some water weight gain. Harmless.NB 2: if you have a male balding pattern (genetic), then taking creatine may speed up hair loss. It's been reported that taking Creatine raises DHT levels. MBP folks are more sensitive to DHT in the balding areas. Not gonna matter eventually, though :(. Not a problem at all if you don't have MBP - it's a very safe supplement.MCT oilWhat: coconut oil extract, about 15-20% of it.Why: rapidly absorbed, produces significantly more ketones than coconut oil.Brand: Upgraded Self.Dosage: use it as oil in food/BP coffee.Note: you might need to build up to it - nausea/diarrhea likely if you take too much in the beginning. Adjustment problem.

NOOTROPICS: PHARMACEUTICALS

-racetamsPiracetam - oldest and most studied. Cheap.Aniracetam. From upgraded self. Stronger than piracetam, fat soluble so take with fat. Typical dose - 600-700mg twice per day (morning and mid). Effects - improved focus.2/3 of people need choline support (Alpha-GPC, CDP-Choline, Choline Bitartrate) - common symptom for lack of it - 'brain fog.' Dosage will be individual. Test by taking something like Alpha-GPC and if you get weird all of sudden (like jaw tension and similar) -> you are choline dominant.Effect: subtle. Different forms have different effects (some helps with focus, some - creativity).Dave: "you feel it when you stop taking it."ModafinilFull description: http://www.bulletpro...nil-deficiency/Dave: "I believe it's as safe as caffeine." (paraphrased)http://www.bulletpro...finil-provigil/ & http://www.bulletpro...mment-589678294How to get it: prescription.Safety note: if you get a rash from it, stop immediately and see a doc ASAP.Brand: Provigil.Newer form - Nuvigil (armodafinil). Not necessarily better - try both.Other mentions: Huperzine A, Hydergine.OTHER ASSORTED MICRO-NOTES

B3 (niacin). Life extensions. Likely not needed.CoQ10. Ubiquinol form. Useful for old people. If young & eat rare meat, probably pointless. Expensive. Must supplement if on statins.5-HTP. Jarrow. Not recommended.L-Taurine. Jarrow.B-6. Pyridoxine. Source Naturals.Milk Thistle. Jarrow.Thorne - good brand, but expensive.

PolishBe@ST
    Participant

my progress has been an up and down road, mainly due to off time. Going to be switching to carb back loading in a few weeks now that I'm at 15% body fat from 22% when I started back in december. I keep a blog and have dexa scans posted on it. http://waynescn.blogspot.comOnce I hit the 12 week mark I should be 13% then it's CBL time.

I saw your S14. Clean bro!

Sharon Hamlin

Hi! You do a really appreciable work. How much you change its see through your pics.Really you can be a inspiration of many workout lovers.Many congrats for your excellent work… 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

POST BEFORE AND AFTER PICS HERE FOR DH

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?