Practical Shockwave Questions

• This topic has 2 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

t0x

Hey guys,since I have my diet mostly dialed in by now I thought about changing my training routine towards SWP. But there are some questions I haven't found (or read over) the answers to yet or they are more experience-based...1. What sets are down to failure? Kiefer says a ELECT set is completed once you hit failure. But what about the others? Is every last Level 2/U set done to failure?2. How much time are you "allowed" between each ELECT mini set? I imagine ELECT squats quite complicated without partners because you have to chase around the rack to load up the bar. How long do you usually take between two mini sets?3. How much time do you generally need for each ELECT set?4. How much time do you generally need totally? Is the "standard" WO duration of around 60 min. (all, including X) valid or does it take much less time?5. Kiefer talks about only one Level X movement per week. How do you do it practically? Do you perform just the recommended one or more? And do you focus on performing one of each in four weeks?6. This is a general one. I "grew up" being told bb's perform 6-12 sets. I believe Kiefer has his reasons for implementing the level X movements (singles/doubles) but I looked at them more like a powerlifters choice of training. What is the science / reason behind these?7. Is SWP suitable for bb's of all levels of experience (except total beginners)? Again, I "grew up" with the notion the first years of training you should just stick to the main lifts (deads, squats, bench, military press etc.)..Thanks for any answer. Every input is appreciated!Merry christmas,t0x

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

1.  I am not sure, but I think all the sets are done to failure.2.  You mean the PSR sets?  The rest periods should be as short as possible.  The squats are best done with a partner, taking 15 seconds or so is ok.3.  One PSR set should not take longer than a minute.4.  Kiefer says 45 minutes, but really it is more like an hour.  Some of the PSR exercises take forever to setup.  Whenever the program calls for an exercise on a machine, try using the machines with stacks instead of plate loaded machines.5.  You should do one per week.  More than that is unnecessary and may lead to overtraining.  Shockwave is all about never having to deload.6.  Do you mean 6-12 reps?  While I agree this is the optimal hypertrophy range, I think it is a good idea for bb'ers to do some strength work occasionally because being stronger allows you to handle heavier weights for your hypertrophy work.  I no longer train for just size, but when I did, if I did a couple weeks of strength focused training, whenever I came back to hypertrophy I was able to handle more weight and I got big gains.  Besides heavy singles are awesome for CBL because they translocate tGLUT really well.7.  Actually, the workout is a bit tame.  It also isn't the greatest for hypertrophy.  If you want a good hypertrophy program, try Heavy Duty for CBL.  You can find it here:  http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1226/heavy-duty-cbl/

t0x

Thanks for your answer. I thought about Shockwave because everyone tells to to train 5-10 years before implementing stuff like drop sets or negs. In addition to that negetive reps don't activate tGLUT translocation as well as normal reps but I see that this program should mostly account for that..Question to Heavy Duty: the set count of dips is 3 with drop as performance. Does Kiefer mean do 3 sets while dropping the weight in each set or is it one set where you lower your weight 2 times? I assume he refers to a drop set as doing your reps than lowering the weight and with no pause continuing..Is there any reason to assigning the muscle groups the way he does here? In comparison to SWP he switched mon and tue. Is there a major downside in switching mon and wed (works better with my schedule)?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for your answer. I thought about Shockwave because everyone tells to to train 5-10 years before implementing stuff like drop sets or negs. In addition to that negetive reps don't activate tGLUT translocation as well as normal reps but I see that this program should mostly account for that..Question to Heavy Duty: the set count of dips is 3 with drop as performance. Does Kiefer mean do 3 sets while dropping the weight in each set or is it one set where you lower your weight 2 times? I assume he refers to a drop set as doing your reps than lowering the weight and with no pause continuing..Is there any reason to assigning the muscle groups the way he does here? In comparison to SWP he switched mon and tue. Is there a major downside in switching mon and wed (works better with my schedule)?

You have to train 5-10 years before you can do drop sets and negatives?  Hogwash, you start doing those things once the standard workouts stop giving you gains, which will probably occur after a year of serious training.  If you listened to that advice you would be held WAY back.  What Kiefer means by a drop set is to decrease the weight which each set so you can do the same amount of reps with each set (the rest periods are going to be rather short), so it's not what is normally called a drop set where you drop the weight after reaching failure so you can get more reps.You change around the workout as you see fit.  Switching Monday and Wednesday is fine.  Personally I like to combine Wednesday and Friday.

t0x

Yeah, a lot of these Youtube channel owners give such advice. Thanks for clearing that up! I'll give it a try :).

t0x

Am I crazy or did Kiefer cut out conventional deadlift as a back exercise for heavy duty? Was there a mistake in the ebook or is it intended?On back day there is a total of 15 sets which is less than any other day (except for core)..

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Am I crazy or did Kiefer cut out conventional deadlift as a back exercise for heavy duty? Was there a mistake in the ebook or is it intended?On back day there is a total of 15 sets which is less than any other day (except for core)..

Nope no mistake.  While the deadlift is an awesome move, for hypertrophy it really isn't all that important.

t0x

Thx for the answer, never heard that one before. What goals would you than recommend it for?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thx for the answer, never heard that one before. What goals would you than recommend it for?

The deadlift?  Strength and general fitness.  It is ok for hypertrophy, but if you are squatting deep, doing rows, and leg curls there really isn't much of a need to include the deadlift.  I would include it if you can because I like the way heavy weights develop your core (I do almost do no direct core work).  However, if you are having trouble with overtraining, the deadlift would be one of the first exercises I would suggest ditching.  It just isn't a very efficient exercise for hypertrophy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Practical Shockwave Questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?