pre workout

• This topic has 7 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

chaos1n3
    Keymaster

Does anyone have any experience or preference with using l-alanine, beta-alanine, or l-citrulline pre workout in addition to caffeine and creatine?Thanks.j.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'm pretty sure somewhere else here we just got over telling people not to take BCAA's pre-wo.  Try MCT oil or coconut oil with coffee.  That works great.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I used beta-alanine, it is pretty legit and it has studies that back it up.  I found that you can push yourself to failure more easily.  None of the supplements you mentioned are BCAAs so I don't know what Dmunnee is talking about, but I haven't seen any evidence that the others work.I do reccomend beta-alanine.  It works and its fairly cheap if you buy it off amazon.  Stack it with creatine.

IOWA.PharmD

They may not be BCAAs but it is an amino acid. I'm not sure if only BCAAs raise insulin, or all amino acids raise insulin. If I had to guess (98% sure) all amino acids raise insulin to the effect that is unwanted (simply because whey/isolates can cause a spike in insulin if the amount is sufficient).

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

They may not be BCAAs but it is an amino acid. I'm not sure if only BCAAs raise insulin, or all amino acids raise insulin. If I had to guess (98% sure) all amino acids raise insulin to the effect that is unwanted (simply because whey/isolates can cause a spike in insulin if the amount is sufficient).

Essential amino acids do raise insulin levels, however I have not found any any information on non essential amino acids which l-alanine, beta-alanine, or l-citrulline  are.  I'm not saying they don't, but I haven't found info that they do.  I do not have the biological expertise to draw any inferences.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I used beta-alanine, it is pretty legit and it has studies that back it up.  I found that you can push yourself to failure more easily.  None of the supplements you mentioned are BCAAs so I don't know what Dmunnee is talking about, but I haven't seen any evidence that the others work.I do reccomend beta-alanine.  It works and its fairly cheap if you buy it off amazon.  Stack it with creatine.

I should've clarified since you're right, they aren't BCAA's.  I don't whether they raise insulin or not, but I fail to see any benefit to taking them pre-wo.  Can you post the 'legit studies' that back it up?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I actually can't justify taking it Pre-Workout, but I have a study on the supplements effectiveness.Here is an excellent study on beta-alanine stacked with creatine: http://chua2.fiu.edu/faculty/kalmand/HUN6248/ppp/JSCR%20Beta%20alanine-creatine%20Stout%202006.pdfThe study states "These findings suggested that b-Ala supplementation may delay the onset of neuromuscular fatigue."

Damon Amato
    Participant

ok, well I think our only disagreement was the pre-WO part.  I'll definitely read the study later tonight.

chaos1n3

Thanks for all the replies.  I was not aware that other aminos spiked insulin that way.  I am curious, how much more of a spike is it than whey (being ~25% bcaa)?  Also, is anyone aware of any studies that list severity of insulin spike for aminos/protein?Thanks again...you guys are awesome.J.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies.  I was not aware that other aminos spiked insulin that way.  I am curious, how much more of a spike is it than whey (being ~25% bcaa)?  Also, is anyone aware of any studies that list severity of insulin spike for aminos/protein?Thanks again...you guys are awesome.J.

The question now:  Is the insulin rise you get from non-BCAA essential amino acids significant when compared to the insulin rise you get from say 20g whey protein?Here is an excellent study on insulin secretion from essential amino acids:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC292828/pdf/jcinvest00267-0143.pdfI'm currently breaking it down, this is some hardcore statistics.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

The study shows a very high variability in the insulin release from the 10 essential amino acids.  This means we have no way of predicting what beta alanine's insulin release would be.The interesting thing is look at table 5 in the study.  Amino Acids Arginine, Lysine, and Phenylalanine all resulted in a higher insulin release than Leucine.  Things that concern me are that these are at very high  30g doses.  This is a very difficult study to understand and I had pretty heavy statistics training.It is important to note that this study is from 1966 though, so it could be outdated.

MJC

I take beta alaine  and I like it…  it helps me do more volume without getting tired  if you are worried about it raising insulin you are going to far with everything…

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I take beta alaine  and I like it...  it helps me do more volume without getting tired  if you are worried about it raising insulin you are going to far with everything...

I take beta alanine too, I reccomended it to the orginal poster.  I agree with you that obessing over every little insulin rise is stupid, but some folks on this board are interested in the science and are concerned with whats optimal.It's all about cost/benefit.  If beta alanine has an insulin rise I think the benefits far outweight that cost.

MJC

agree 

T9P1

I'm getting started with a creatine and beta-alanine stack too. Would you recommend taking 3g in the morning together with the AM shake or what would be a better way to consume beta-alinine throughout the day (on and off day)??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

pre workout

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?