Protein & fat

• This topic has 6 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

dw1015
    Keymaster

Ok, I'm 5'9″ and currently weigh 265lbs.  I travel and have no set destination for work, i.e. I end up eating out frequently.  I have been on an Atkins type diet for a little over a year (I started at 320lbs.).  I read the book and was wondering about the proper fat/protein quantities for me.  I have read that others try and use a 1g/lb body weight, but that seems really excessive in terms of quantity of food.  Even at 200g I would need to use protein supplements to consistently stay at that level.Also, about weight training... That is the only form of exercise that I can stay consistent at.  From the literature, it seems like I shouldn't go full bore with it.  Maybe stay with lighter weights?  Any experience here?Thanks in advance for your help and experience.

Naomi Most

Ok, I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 265lbs.  I travel and have no set destination for work, i.e. I end up eating out frequently.  I have been on an Atkins type diet for a little over a year (I started at 320lbs.).  I read the book and was wondering about the proper fat/protein quantities for me.  I have read that others try and use a 1g/lb body weight, but that seems really excessive in terms of quantity of food.  Even at 200g I would need to use protein supplements to consistently stay at that level.

Hello!  I too eat out all the time, as I "work from cafe", so I empathize.  🙂Protein: when you are up in the 200lb and beyond area, you do not need to eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.  Even .8g per lb of bodyweight will be a lot.  You don't need it. I'm guessing your goal is to diet down, not to become a powerlifter, so you just don't need anywhere near that level of protein.Some people will tell you that you need all that protein to preserve muscle.  Not so.  Research has clearly demonstrated that it's a high-fat diet that best preserves lean mass.So your more important target is actually your fat consumption.  Make sure, especially when eating out, that you are not eating low-fat (or even medium-fat).  You need to consume at least 60% of your calories from fat, usually more like 70%.  This means shooting for a 50/50 split of protein and fat by GRAMS.You should also avoid eating any high-protein meal that doesn't also come with a lot of fat, because protein provokes the release of insulin.  You can't prevent insulin release entirely on CNS, but you do want to blunt it for the best effectiveness of the program.  The EXCEPTION for this rule is post-resistance-training, when you actually do want to consume a high-protein shake designed to spike insulin.

Also, about weight training... That is the only form of exercise that I can stay consistent at.  From the literature, it seems like I shouldn't go full bore with it.  Maybe stay with lighter weights?  Any experience here?Thanks in advance for your help and experience.

It's not about lighter weights, it's about lighter bouts of training, as well as giving yourself ample recovery time (because it's harder to recover w/o carbs).  You should grab the Shockwave Protocol ebook and look at the "Ripped" program, since it uses Carb Nite as its diet.The solution to just about every exercise question is generally "lift heavy".  Not necessarily "heaviER", but definitely heavy!  🙂Hope that all helps!Oh, and glad you made it to Carb Nite from Atkins.  🙂

dw1015

One more question regarding nutrients… Sodium intake?  Is it something I should watch or should I only focus on the fat/protein ratio?

Damon Amato
    Participant

yes, watch it.  Get low sodium bacon, find potassium sources you like to eat during the ULC portion of the day.

Luis S.

so what would low carb potassium options be? because i dont know any  :-

Luis S.

Dam i just realized something. The more answers i get, the more questions arise. This is like a never ending madness with countless possibilities. Well, before i keep rambling on, i have another question. What would be the implications in eating more fat then protein. I find it quite easy to get at least that 50:50 ratio and a lot of the time i find myself going over that.

Damon Amato
    Participant

that's what you want.  The problem is having too much protein with regard to fat because it will cause an insulin spike.

Luis S.

Yeah that i understand, but is there a limit? Or a too much?

Newfiedan
    Participant

At some point yes it would be to much, but keep in mind that fat is the only macro that does not spike blood sugar where protein and carbs will do both, no insulin spike is what we are after on cns and cbl but post workout you would want to spike it. Fat is supposed to be the main source of energy here so that is what you want to eat more of if you are to go over the amount. The body processed fat differently than other macros, and once you are in ketosis the body will supply the energy you need daily from fat. It also makes fatty acids the preferential fuel for the body this is why I recommended the 1:1/gram of each per lb of body weight as it spares the muscle mass while giving you enough energy. Kiefer says that the body derives less usable energy from the same number of cals if it were to include carbs so 2500 cals of protein/fat are processed differently from 2500 cals of protein/fat/carbs. This is how you lose weight while not cutting calories to the best of my understanding. Now when you throw in a shot of human growth hormone like on your training/carb nite it furhter accelerates fat loss and gives the body a chance to add some muscle.

Luis S.

Haha that just answered all my questions and some i might have thought of later.  ;D Thanks a lot!

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

so what would low carb potassium options be? because i dont know any  :-

http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/just pick out the low carb items

Luis S.

I am definitely going with the low sodium tuna. I love that stuff with some mayonayse and cheese lol

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

I am definitely going with the low sodium tuna. I love that stuff with some mayonayse and cheese lol

Just be careful of the mercury content.  Salmon is a better choice. Yes, Salmon has its issues depending on where its sourced, so again, exercise discrimination with food. About the only type of discrimination you are allowed. 🙂

Luis S.

Just be careful of the mercury content.  Salmon is a better choice. Yes, Salmon has its issues depending on where its sourced, so again, exercise discrimination with food. About the only type of discrimination you are allowed. 🙂

Does the same apply to omega 3 supps? Because today i went to the market and was about to buy fish oil capsules and remembere what you said and got salmon oil capsules. A little pricier but they have more mg of omega 3 in them  ;D

Newfiedan
    Participant

I eat flaked light tuna packed in water the mercury content not really a problem unless you are eating pounds of it daily, albacore and a few other brands are a little higher but in my opinion its not really worth worrying about, I stick my hands in things much deadlier on a daily basis at work lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Protein & fat

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?