Prowler Training!

• This topic has 7 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

recoil7

I originally stared this in the CBL forum and realized that many here might not know any information about Prowler training and that this forum would be a good place to start talking about it. If you don't know what a Prowler is, it is a weight loadable sled that is pushed on a variety of surfaces - road, concrete, gravel, carpet, snow, etc. Training with the Prowler eliminates any muscle eccentric contractions which prevents any soreness or systemic inflammation in the body. It is grueling as hell and is scary effective at conditioning the body. And isn't that why we are all here, to find the most effective AND efficient methods to achieve results? If so, then there is nothing that is going to beat the prowler when it comes to conditioning. Not to mention the mental toughness that will be gained.Also, which I just realized today based on this article:http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/1226/heavy-duty-cbl/Training with the Prowler may be one of the best tools for a CBL'er. This is because all movements are concentric contractions which are responsible for translocating GLUT. This means you can get your conditioning in, while preserving muscle, and enjoy a nice backload afterwards.Basically:concentric = GLUT Translocation (important for us CBL'ers)eccentric = Strength and muscle gains / accumulation.I think Jim Wendler says it best when talking about the prowler - "it is efficient, difficult and effective.  It’s the perfect conditioning device for anyone looking to cut the B.S., start training like a man again and not waste time."Also Mark Rippetoe - "I'd have you on a strength program 3 days/week and pushing the prowler once/week. You stay in shape, you stay strong, and you're not sore and inflamed all the time. Systemic inflammation is the process that tears down your strength training progress during your CF 'season". The prowler produces no soreness, it preserves your strength progress, and it is a frighteningly effective tool for conditioning."Here are some links if anyone is interested to learn more about the Prowler:Video of the Prowler in action:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0703-G1Z7JgVideo - "Anabolic Cardio" (you can stop watching after 2:42):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L_IVgF2y-sArticles:http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/conditioning_101http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1481http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=23448&page=1http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/5-new-uses-for-the-prowler/If you are in for the science of it all, here is a great article by Matt Reynolds:

I’ll never forget the first time I used the Prowler. I had just bought a couple from Jim Wendler and Dave Tate at EliteFTS for the high school football team I help coach. As soon as they came in, I remember putting them together, loading up a few plates and heading out to the parking lot to give the thing a try. I had heard the horror stories about the Prowler, but I was a professional strongman and elite level powerlifter; an elite athlete, if you will. Five 100' trips later I was on my hands and knees, in the small grassy median between the school and the parking lot, puking my guts up, as were the other two coaches and training partners who were pushing it with me. A few weeks later I called up my brother, who was once a very good powerlifter, and now ran marathons (weird sport conversion, don’t ask). The point is that the guy routinely would have his wife drop him off on a Saturday morning at a town 30 miles away and he would run the Ozark Greenways or Frisco Highline trail home for 30 miles! He was in incredible shape. I had been talking to him about energy systems work and how I thought it was important for him to get some high intensity anaerobic work in once or twice a week on top of his long runs, and that it would actually contribute to his aerobic endurance, so I invited him down to the gym I own, STRONG Gym to have him try out one of our new Prowlers.  After his first 6 trips he was initiated by emptying the contents of his stomach all over the STRONG parking lot. The guy quit right then and there, and never came back. God, you gotta love the Prowler. Read the rest of the article here:http://startingstrength.com/articles/death_by_prowler_reynolds.pdf

Swanson52

I absolutely LOVE the Prowler. Yes, I've had the Prowler flu, but it is (IMHO) the king of conditioning tools. I have used it to very effectively burn off glycogen stores, to warm up, cool down, actively recover, and just straight up kick my own ass. A must have for every serious athlete.

AdamFiddler

“I wish I was a racecar driver…”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0703-G1Z7Jg

Big_R
    Participant

GO GET EM,  Napoleon !!!HAHA j/k

tzanghi
    Participant

I've been contemplating using the prowler or a sled for my HIIT sessions, but I was curious as to how you would program it.  I can't imagine doing 30s all out on a prowler for more than 2 cycles before you begin to puke like these guys did.Anybody use the prowler for HIIT?

dudsy

I've been contemplating using the prowler or a sled for my HIIT sessions, but I was curious as to how you would program it.  I can't imagine doing 30s all out on a prowler for more than 2 cycles before you begin to puke like these guys did.Anybody use the prowler for HIIT?

I was doing prowler suicides for my hiit. 1 complete circuit would usually see me somewhere in the 20-30 sec range. I could usually get around 6 reps before i felt the prowler flu coming on. I will be changing it up though, adding more weight & slowing down a bit, going for 30 sec straight line pushes

My standard prowler workout is a nice short routine affectionately titled “Kill Me Now” at my gym.We have a space up the side of the gym 15 metres long. One lap is up and back, so 30 metres or I guess around 100 feet. To begin the workout, take 8x10kg plates to the starting position.1 lap with empty prowler1 lap with 20kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 80kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 20kg1 lap with empty prowler.All laps are a full sprint, or as close as you can manage. Best times in the gym are around the 3 minute mark. My best is 5:14 which is under the better category for heavyweights.Try it out. 🙂

Tracer-Actual

My standard prowler workout is a nice short routine affectionately titled "Kill Me Now" at my gym.We have a space up the side of the gym 15 metres long. One lap is up and back, so 30 metres or I guess around 100 feet. To begin the workout, take 8x10kg plates to the starting position.1 lap with empty prowler1 lap with 20kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 80kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 20kg1 lap with empty prowler.All laps are a full sprint, or as close as you can manage. Best times in the gym are around the 3 minute mark. My best is 5:14 which is under the better category for heavyweights.Try it out. 🙂

That is awesome! Sadly no Prowler where I am at the moment. Guess I will have to stick to the C2 Rower ( 🙁 )Who am I kidding!? I love the C2!Still - this Prowler Workout looks devilishly fun...

tzanghi
    Participant

My standard prowler workout is a nice short routine affectionately titled "Kill Me Now" at my gym.We have a space up the side of the gym 15 metres long. One lap is up and back, so 30 metres or I guess around 100 feet. To begin the workout, take 8x10kg plates to the starting position.1 lap with empty prowler1 lap with 20kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 80kg1 lap with 60kg1 lap with 40kg1 lap with 20kg1 lap with empty prowler.All laps are a full sprint, or as close as you can manage. Best times in the gym are around the 3 minute mark. My best is 5:14 which is under the better category for heavyweights.Try it out. 🙂

Any rest between these laps?

No rest other than the scramble to load or unload the next two plates. Maybe 5-10 seconds max.

Swanson52

That looks brutal.

“Kill Me Now” is an appropriate name for it.The worst thing is, after you complete it you stagger away and expect that you'll feel better. You don't. The urge to puke comes a few minutes after completion and my legs are always shot for at least an hour afterwards. Nothing makes you feel better. It takes a brutal tole for what is still only 5 minutes of work.Allegedly some guys are considering doing it with 20kg plates, meaning all poundages would double. That to me is just stupid crazy.

dudsy

The worst thing is, after you complete it you stagger away and expect that you'll feel better. You don't. The urge to puke comes a few minutes after completion and my legs are always shot for at least an hour afterwards. Nothing makes you feel better. It takes a brutal tole for what is still only 5 minutes of work.

AHHH the old prowler flu. Its caught me out on more than 1 occasion. Just like u said it creeps up on you then BAM chunks flying everywhere. Funny thing is 15 minutes later i feel great.

staceymc

I use a pull sled.  I think it works great.  I load it up with weight and do 100m sprints or 50m sprints and recover as needed usually a couple of minutes. I want a prowler so bad, hopefully I can add one to my garage gym this year. 

wingman

Those with a prowler at home, where do u use it? Up and down ya street?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Prowler Training!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?