Pulled hamstring on my first HIIT!

• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Kaprice

I just started CNS (switched from CBL due to a couple of minor muscle pulls) and since I pigged out yesterday (for the 4th), I decided to do HITT cardio, this morning. On my second sprint, I felt a minor twinge in my left hamstring, so I stopped. This had also happened 3 to 4 weeks ago on the treadmill, but I was hoping/expecting my leg to be pretty much healed by now — and I chose to do the HIIT on grass, this time, rather than the treadmill like last time.So, now I'm benched again!  :-What stretches and exercises can I do to build up my hams so I can do HITTs, again?BTW, I'm pretty sure the pull happened while LIFTING the leg on the sprint, not while PUSHING against the ground. Not sure if that makes a difference, and I can't be sure that's when it happened.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I don't know much about sports medicine, but I always heard that pulling hamstrings is common amongst athletes because they tend to be too quad dominant.  They have strong quads relative to their hamstrings.  So my suggestion is on leg day to focus on hamstrings and do just enough quad work to maintain.  Focus on squatting as deep as you can, do good mornings, leg curls, stiff leg deadlifts ect.I think some of the trainers like Dmunee would have good advice on this.

Damon Amato
    Participant

weak glutes, quad dominant, poor adductor firing.  Lots of reasons you can pull your hamstring. 

Kaprice

weak glutes, quad dominant, poor adductor firing.  Lots of reasons you can pull your hamstring.

So, with a slighly pulled ham, what would you recommend for strengthening it? And, what indicators might there be that it's safe to sprint, again?

Damon Amato
    Participant

well, depends on why you pulled it in the first place.  If you don't fix that problem, it'll just happen again anyway.  Doesn't matter how much you strengthen your hamstrings if your glutes are weak and cause your Hammys to work too hard during the push off phase of sprinting.  If it is a weak glute issue (most common problem), single leg deadlifts will help a lot but not until you are pain free. 

Mjl1030

What are the best exercises to strengthen glutes?

Ass to grass squats, deadlifts, weighted glute bridge.

Kaprice

But, don't I risk a more serious ham pull by doing squats and deadlifts?

pshannon

But, don't I risk a more serious ham pull by doing squats and deadlifts?

take a whole week of doing nothing. I would suggest going on a very anti-inflammatory diet (detox diet) and not working any part of your body out. Work hamstrings twice a week. one day with legs (curls - seated laying standing, lunges, sumo deads) one day with back (roman deadlift, good mornings. Heavy one day light the next. Always do the hamstring before a quad exercise. Do hiit on a bike AFTER 2 weeks of rest 

Well don't do it now, once you recover do them.

Kaprice

take a whole week of doing nothing. I would suggest going on a very anti-inflammatory diet (detox diet) and not working any part of your body out.

I actually did that after my last sprint leg sprain (about 4 weeks ago). I went 2 weeks of no workouts. I went a whole 5 days on nothing but alkaline liquids. I did no exercise, other than easy, fasted walks. Then I had another 3 days of ULC.My legs felt good. And, BOOM, another pull while sprinting.I thought I was fine. I don't know how to know when it's safe to sprint, again.I do like your idea of doing HIIT on the bike, for now.

I went a whole 5 days on nothing but alkaline liquids.

Yeah, don't do that.It's not conducive for recovery.Go with grass-fed meats if possible and eat lots of it.

pshannon

take a whole week of doing nothing. I would suggest going on a very anti-inflammatory diet (detox diet) and not working any part of your body out.

I actually did that after my last sprint leg sprain (about 4 weeks ago). I went 2 weeks of no workouts. I went a whole 5 days on nothing but alkaline liquids. I did no exercise, other than easy, fasted walks. Then I had another 3 days of ULC.My legs felt good. And, BOOM, another pull while sprinting.I thought I was fine. I don't know how to know when it's safe to sprint, again.I do like your idea of doing HIIT on the bike, for now.

Well I think we might have found our problem... SPRINTING. The only solution would be to cut back any sprinting until you have strengthened your hamstrings. Get on a workout program, like the one I suggested, and dont sprint. Bike it up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pulled hamstring on my first HIIT!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?