question about foods

• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Big_R
    Participant

I just got the book via download and started carb nite 4 days ago… My question is with regards to food choice.Upon reading the recipes section i was VERY impressed at all the gourmet style and variation that were presented.  The problem is that my schedule doesnt really allow for sufficient time to prepare such a gourmet meal and i was concerned it would effect me.Right now i have been getting my fats from peanut butter, various beef, fish, cheeses,bacon.... My protein mainly from meat/poultry and tilapia... Are these things acceptable? Also ive purchased the MCT oil so thats basically my first meal with coffee only.  Im fine with eating the same thing over and over and just figured keifer was providing us with variety so we dont get bored.  Any suggestions are much appreciated

IOWA.PharmD

What you have listed looks good. I would try to limit PB or not think of it as a “source of fat”. It can sometimes contain more carbs than you think. If you need more fats, substitute butter or olive oil with food. Also, you may consider more fibrous, low carb veggies like lettuce/spinach.

Big_R
    Participant

Thanks. Yea i didn't want to write a book but include broccoli and other steamed veggies.  i use the peanut butter and cheeses in moderation… Mainly i use the mct Oil and meats usually.  I put butter on things also, but do u know any other little high fart treats that could be made quickly?

Kevin rogers
    Participant

I don't know of many “high fart treats” lol. Avocados are real good and high in fat and potassium. They give me a quick burst of energy also. Before this diet I never bought any of these in my life, now I love them. Macademia nuts and almonds are good.  Just be careful of some nuts because they are not all of equal value.Some of those gourmet treats are not that hard to make and there are some great ideas in the recipe section of the forum.  You can make a big batch and have it for days. You will be surprised how creative and good you get. And by no means am I a Chef Boyardee.

Big_R
    Participant

Haha  yea im no chef ramsey either – i am kinda strange, i actually think peanut butter on celery is like candy so… Yea im gonna check the forum out more.  My issues right now are just convenience… Plus the wife is hcaving a baby so I'm trying to hasten the learning curve .. Time is definitely of the essence now

Kevin rogers
    Participant

Yeah convenience is key.  Planning is huge. Cheese sticks, pepperoni slices, deli meats are good. Like Kiefer said, pretty much things that are green or once had a face are good sources, just read labels.Good luck with the baby!

Big_R
    Participant

Right on! And thanks for the pointers ;D

Naomi Most

Haha  yea im no chef ramsey either - i am kinda strange, i actually think peanut butter on celery is like candy so... Yea im gonna check the forum out more.  My issues right now are just convenience... Plus the wife is hcaving a baby so I'm trying to hasten the learning curve .. Time is definitely of the essence now

Congrats!  And yes, good attitude.  Oh the things I shoulda coulda done before I had the kid...Peanut butter isn't "good fats", so... maybe try raw almond butter?  Peanut butter is actually quite pro-inflammatory.

Alex Fergus
    Participant

Haha  yea im no chef ramsey either - i am kinda strange, i actually think peanut butter on celery is like candy so... Yea im gonna check the forum out more.  My issues right now are just convenience... Plus the wife is hcaving a baby so I'm trying to hasten the learning curve .. Time is definitely of the essence now

Congrats!  And yes, good attitude.  Oh the things I shoulda coulda done before I had the kid...Peanut butter isn't "good fats", so... maybe try raw almond butter?  Peanut butter is actually quite pro-inflammatory.

Oh really 🙁 shit. So I shouldn't be going through a 1kg of natural PB per week then... along with a cup of peanuts every day?Such sad news lol :'(

Seeking optimal health & performance for myself & others at:
    Alex Fergus Coaching - 
www.AFCoaching.com.au

Big_R
    Participant

i thought i heard him say it was acceptable on an interview with another guy?  oh well... that's good to know- i was only using maybe 1 serving a day anyhow.  guess i'll stock up on the cheese sticks ... i saw in the carb nite that one of the snack meals was "goat cheese"  ... stuff like that seems like it provides the convenience i need with the fat.  thank god for MCT oil

amedio

Avocados are a great source for fat! I have been using flax seed lately which has fat and fiber. I snack on walnuts every now and them, but they can get a wee bit expensive.

zewski

Grass-fed butter (kerry-gold or organic valley) is your friend. Treat it like Frank's red hot, and put that shit on everything! Having coffee plus coconut oil/butter is a great way to up your fats and feel awesome. Also macadamia nuts are the bomb. Be sure to store them in the fridge/freezer in an airtight container so the fat doesn't oxidize (that is a bad thing for your body/health, not so much aesthetics). Other nuts are much less favorable since they have a LOT of Ω6's which is pro-inflammatory. Be careful with cheese as well since a lot of people are sensitive to it without knowing. I thought I could handle cheese until I cut it out for a month brought it back in and then had a runny nose immediately after, and acne the next day.

Big_R
    Participant

Avocados are a great source for fat! I have been using flax seed lately which has fat and fiber. I snack on walnuts every now and them, but they can get a wee bit expensive.

I'll probably do the Avacado,  i forgot all about those!

Grass-fed butter (kerry-gold or organic valley) is your friend. Treat it like Frank's red hot, and put that shit on everything! Having coffee plus coconut oil/butter is a great way to up your fats and feel awesome. Also macadamia nuts are the bomb. Be sure to store them in the fridge/freezer in an airtight container so the fat doesn't oxidize (that is a bad thing for your body/health, not so much aesthetics). Other nuts are much less favorable since they have a LOT of Ω6's which is pro-inflammatory. Be careful with cheese as well since a lot of people are sensitive to it without knowing. I thought I could handle cheese until I cut it out for a month brought it back in and then had a runny nose immediately after, and acne the next day.

I'm going to check out a local store to look into the grass fed butter. I heard about the kerry-gold but didn't know anywhere local to buy until just recently -  thanks for the tips. 

amedio

I usually get a ripe hass avocado and split it in two halves. After removing the seed, I feel it with smoked salmon and eat it. Makes a nice little treat.  😀

Big_R
    Participant

I usually get a ripe hass avocado and split it in two halves. After removing the seed, I feel it with smoked salmon and eat it. Makes a nice little treat.  😀

funny you say that... i just ate an avacado.  had a tough time finding out how many carbs/fat grams was in there. very filling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

question about foods

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?