Rep Speed/Cadence?

• This topic has 5 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I'm curious how much rep speed varies among members. EDIT: Am interested in your normal lifting routines on the heavier side (5-10 reps) btw, not necessarily 1RM.What rep speeds (seconds up/seconds down) do you guys/gals normally use on lifts such as:1. Squats (box or atg)2. Bench Press3. Barbell RowsFeel free to add your favorite (or other) lifts and/or misc info. Thanks.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

For me it would be dependent upon the amount of weight used.  I don't do barbell rows though so I can't answer for that.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

I was thinking more heavy rather than light/deloads. But even a range of speeds for specific lifts (of your choice) would help.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I was thinking more heavy rather than light/deloads. But even a range of speeds for specific lifts (of your choice) would help.

A one rep max in squat and bench would be about 2 seconds for me.  A one rep max in the deadlift would be about 3.5 seconds.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Is that for the full rep (up and down), or just one direction? I thought up/down speeds might vary a bit. I meant normal lifting routines btw (5-10 reps?), not necessarily 1RM. Sorry for not being clear.Edited the original post to clarify. Thanks.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Is that for the full rep (up and down), or just one direction? I thought up/down speeds might vary a bit. I meant normal lifting routines btw (5-10 reps?), not necessarily 1RM. Sorry for not being clear.Edited the original post to clarify. Thanks.

Those times were for the concentric part of the lift, not the lowering.It seems like you are really asking what tempo I use.  The answer to that is I do not use one.  I try to move the weight as fast as possible.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

It seems like you are really asking what tempo I use.  The answer to that is I do not use one.  I try to move the weight as fast as possible.

I'm just asking what that "fast as possible" speed winds up being in up/down seconds. And what rep speeds (or "tempo" if applicable) that other members use as well.Just tryin' to learn stuff, and apparently don't know how to properly phrase a question.

It seems like you are really asking what tempo I use.  The answer to that is I do not use one.  I try to move the weight as fast as possible.

I'm just asking what that "fast as possible" speed winds up being in up/down seconds. And what rep speeds (or "tempo" if applicable) that other members use as well.Just tryin' to learn stuff, and apparently don't know how to properly phrase a question.

As fast as possible will be different due to factors such as intensity being % of 1RM, and fatigue. It isn't timed at all and could be less than a 1 second or more than 1 second.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

As fast as possible will be different due to factors such as intensity being % of 1RM, and fatigue. It isn't timed at all and could be less than a 1 second or more than 1 second.

Ok... does anyone here go with a tempo or target rep speed? Or is "fast as possible" the norm?Thanks. 🙂

Ok... does anyone here go with a tempo or target rep speed? Or is "fast as possible" the norm?Thanks. 🙂

Very few people use tempo training, at least not regularly. Most of the forum members go with "as fast as possible" concentric and just controlling the eccentric.

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

I remember like 12-15 years ago a lot of T-Nation writers would prescribe tempos to the lifts in their programs and I used to do them.  Definitely good for time under tension training, but not for maximal strength.  Now, like Trevor said, I just used a controlled eccentric and explosive concentric.

Brian M Eckstrom
    Participant

I'm curious how much rep speed varies among members. EDIT: Am interested in your normal lifting routines on the heavier side (5-10 reps) btw, not necessarily 1RM.What rep speeds (seconds up/seconds down) do you guys/gals normally use on lifts such as:1. Squats (box or atg)2. Bench Press3. Barbell RowsFeel free to add your favorite (or other) lifts and/or misc info. Thanks.

since this is an open survey i'll chime in, it all depends for me. if I've got a set of ten on decline bench for example.. if I'm gassed out or feeling groggy or just not feeling "on" that day, I'll use a lighter weight and really focus on the eccentric, like 3-5 seconds; however, if I'm feeling "on" I'll go as heavy as I think I can handle and try and bang it out as fast as possible. in between those two extremes is sort of an instinctive rep speed. when I'm not focusing on the eccentric and I'm not trying to bang it out, I just move at a speed in which I'm moving the weight and not the other way around.

Rob Haas

Given the rep ranges stated Box squats are always the same: concentric 2 - 3 seconds, fast as possible up.The only ATG squats I do are front squats which are an accessory move for me and they as fast as possible before my lungs fail.Bench depends on weight but for those rep ranges it's just bang'em out maybe 2 down 1 up.Rows the same as ^.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Mac one thing I can say is that for most exercises, a set of 8 takes about 20 seconds for myself.  So 2.5 seconds per rep.  Sets of 5 usually take me 12 seconds so that would be 2.4 seconds per rep.It's important to note that I never do maximal efforts in training except on very small isolation exercises.  If I were to do a max set of 8, it would probably be more like 25 seconds.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Sincere thanks to all you guys. These are the type of informative replies I was hoping for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Rep Speed/Cadence?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?