Results…when does this happen?

• This topic has 19 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

steve091
    Participant

Hey what’s up y’all? Just joined forum. Have read both CNS and CBL. Have been on every diet out there, some worked, some didn’t..typical. Currently I am in my second week of CNS and will do my second tomorrow (Friday). I am just wondering when most on CNS have seen actual results and at what point does one give up to go onto the next “solution”? Right now I am 200 lbs with 27% bodyfat according to a DXA scan. Most of the fat is around my waste but pretty even everywhere else so I don’t have a huge gut, but it’s not a thin as I would like. Last year I did Lyle McDonald’s rapid weight loss program and dropped 20 lbs in about 3 weeks but could never repeat that. I like eating the low carb way and I have had times where I have felt pretty good, but if I try and go the full Keto route, I can’t sleep and end up feeling exhausted everyday so screw that noise. My first CN was a pizza, a dohnut (first in 10 years) and chocolate ice cream. Won’t be doing that again as I was so bloated and felt shitty the next day so not sure if that is why I haven’t dropped an ounce yet. I don’t use the scale everyday, I use the way my clothes fit and my belt and the good ole mirror. I am actually gaining fat, this I can tell. I know the difference. I normally eat around 2000-2200 cal’s/day with fat being 70-80%, protein 35-30% and carbs barely existent, brussel sprouts, broccoli is the usual. Workouts are fairly rigorous, but short. 10 mins of fast treadmill warmup followed by resistance training. In and out in 40 minutes give or take. I also walk about 6 miles every other day. I don’t believe my workouts are packing on any kind of muscle so this is why I am stumped. I am starting to think low carb will just not work for me. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but just looking for anyone else who may have experienced the same thing. Thanks

stephenp
    Participant

Hey what’s up y’all? Just joined forum. Have read both CNS and CBL. Have been on every diet out there, some worked, some didn’t..typical. Currently I am in my second week of CNS and will do my second tomorrow (Friday). I am just wondering when most on CNS have seen actual results and at what point does one give up to go onto the next “solution”? Right now I am 200 lbs with 27% bodyfat according to a DXA scan. Most of the fat is around my waste but pretty even everywhere else so I don’t have a huge gut, but it’s not a thin as I would like. Last year I did Lyle McDonald’s rapid weight loss program and dropped 20 lbs in about 3 weeks but could never repeat that. I like eating the low carb way and I have had times where I have felt pretty good, but if I try and go the full Keto route, I can’t sleep and end up feeling exhausted everyday so screw that noise. My first CN was a pizza, a dohnut (first in 10 years) and chocolate ice cream. Won’t be doing that again as I was so bloated and felt shitty the next day so not sure if that is why I haven’t dropped an ounce yet. I don’t use the scale everyday, I use the way my clothes fit and my belt and the good ole mirror. I am actually gaining fat, this I can tell. I know the difference. I normally eat around 2000-2200 cal’s/day with fat being 70-80%, protein 35-30% and carbs barely existent, brussel sprouts, broccoli is the usual. Workouts are fairly rigorous, but short. 10 mins of fast treadmill warmup followed by resistance training. In and out in 40 minutes give or take. I also walk about 6 miles every other day. I don’t believe my workouts are packing on any kind of muscle so this is why I am stumped. I am starting to think low carb will just not work for me. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but just looking for anyone else who may have experienced the same thing. Thanks

Sounds like you have just been dieting too long and jumping from diet to diet… You need to make this a lifestyle and stick to something that you can sustain long term… Carb Nite is great for losing fat and I think is a great way to live especially if you want to have your cake and eat it haha… But you need to do it right (ulc 6.5 days a week)…. It is not an excuse to just eat junk but you can have some if you want… My advice (and I’m no expert) is set your macros at 1g of pro per lb of BW. and fats .75. Start with 200g Protein and 150g Fats and carbs under 30g but the lower the better.

Clean up your Carb Nites, try White Rice, White Potato’s and maybe just 1 dessert to fin it off…

You are not going to see amazing results in a few weeks it takes time. Yes you will see great results from crash dieting like Lyle McDonald’s rapid weight loss but you will see the weight come back on just as fast… Remember make it a lifestyle and you will see the results you are after…

steve091
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I have tried a few diets over the years but I do give them a chance, not like I am expecting results in a week, I know it doesn’t work like that. I would be all for making this a lifestyle, but if after a month I don’t see results then why would I continue? I don’t cheat, I am very good at following a program to the tee so carb creep and cheating is not the issue. I will try again and this time I am not going to do any heavy workouts. I am going to stick to walking etc. I do like going to the gym not to get bigger but to keep in shape and to keep the muscle I already have, it’s just the chub that won’t leave me alone. Anyway I will try your recommendations you mentioned and I will update here afer a few weeks or in a month.

stephenp
    Participant

I definitly wouldn’t stop the heavy lifting….. If anything you might want to look at your workouts… 40mins total, of which 10 is cardio… So you are doing 30mins of lifting… You want to do at least 40mins of heavy a$$ lifting. Get on a programme, 531, 5×5, SWP, or make your own… Lifting heavy weights will defo help…

Go back and read CNS again and give it a good go for the month… If you follow it correctly and give it 100% you wil see results. If not you will know its not for you.

I am the same as you I hold my fat around my waist too… This is generally the first place it will go on in guys and the very last place it will come off…

I do hope I helped in some way, keep us posted and good luck in your journey.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If you have trouble losing weight at 27% body fat and you are eating 2000-2200 calories per day (which is about what you should be eating), then something is wrong. In my experience on the forums, everyone that has struggled on other diets will struggle on Carb Nite too. I would look into hiring a diet coach that has experience with helping people in your position. it definately is not related to training. You should be losing fat with no exercise at all.

The only possible reason is that you are eating a massive amount of calories on Carb Nite and making up the calorie deficit you create for the week, but I think that is unlikely.

Steve

Yeah, I was heavy lifting, as far as what I would say is heavy. Every workout is 5 minutes warm up on treadmill, followed by 10 minutes of intervals then hit the weights. I lift as heavy as I can between 8 – 12 reps, and I do probably end up being in there for 30 to 40 minutes, some days more and some days less. I really can’t see how 15 minutes would affect anything, I am still working out. I have tried to change it around as well by going to a higher reps program, which causes me just as much muscle soreness as anything heavy I do, which I prefer as it does not hurt my joints like heavy lifting does. This and because I have shoulder, knee and back issues from 25 years of military abuse, so I can’t do deadlifts anymore due to disc degenerative disease (herniated disc). Also I just read an article on body.io that recommends doing HIIT workouts and higher rep weights, so who is right? My ultimate goal is to be able to control the fat without having to punish myself at the gym most days as I am getting older and would rather do more outdoor activities, but still working hard. But for now the gym it is and there is great eye candy. In the past I have dropped weight, and not by starving, but never did think to write down what I was doing. I know at the time I was doing Crossfit workouts and they were punishing sometimes and that is still a resistance type workout as far as I am concerned so I know it is possible to lose fat by doing workouts other than high weight lifting. I do appreciate the input though and take everything into account. Thanks

Steve

Yeah that’s what I thought. Since I have tried and tweaked everything I also wondered if I don’t have something that just aint right with myself somewhere. I did just get a blood workup done but won’t get the results for another week. I don’t think there is anything wrong as I rarely get ill, I have pretty good energy most of the time, somedays not but I attribute that too a not very good sleep. I do get 7-8 hours a night. I don’t have a stressful job or am I stressed about anything. I am not in debt, no car payments etc. I don’t eat sugar…at all…minus what’s in the real food, so unless they find a thyroid problem or something else, if it comes back all good, I will be stumped. I do know though, when I was on this before and even before that on a keto diet, I did feel completely exhausted late in the afternoon and then could not sleep at night, without having a nap which was hard to do. And this was still after 3 weeks so I should have been keto adapted at that point, though my ketone levels never really suggested that (0.3 mmol/L most days). This lead me to believe that I could not go back into a full keto state with levels around 2.0 – 3.0. The only time I ever saw that was 3 hours after a good workout and not having eaten after it. This I could see and I couldn’t do that everyday. And as for your recommendation to get a dietician, I don’t think that will happen where I live, in the sticks. I am pretty sure there is no one here that would know about this and probably just follows the national food guide, but I will check, I just have a problem with them if I walk in and they are overweight. This time though I am going to modify my carb night to only clean real one ingredient foods, and maybe one “treat” that won’t cause the nasty bloating and overfullness I felt the first time.

steve091
    Participant

Well this didn’t take long, for the 2 of you that are listening to me whine. Been back on this for 2 days and it’s starting already…..can’t fall asleep and this after doing a workout…not the hardest, but it was hard because I had been sick for the last week so I have missed about 2 weeks of working out. If I can’t fall asleep I can’t keep on this plan…What gives with this? “Experts” please pipe in. This is what usually happens when I have tried anything remotely close to this diet or a ketogenic diet…no sleep=no fun. So I got up ate a banana with a bit of honey on it…out in 5 minutes. I wonder if I would be more successful doing CBL instead of CNS.

Robert Haas
    Participant

Sounds like you have a hormonal imbalance. That late night shot of insulin, bumps prolactin & leptin so melatonin can do it’s job. I would suggest a leptin reset diet (protein/fat breakfast) limit carbs until later & get outside and get some sun (or even a tanning booth). UV light is needed to activate the hormonal pathways to reset circadian rhythms. Ben Greenfield has a good book “Beyond Training” that would be worthwhile read for you with tons of diet and supplement tips. Nothing else matters though if you don’t get enough UV sunlight to fix those hormonal problems.

The eyes can't see what the mind doesn't understand.

steve091
    Participant

No doubt right? I was kinda shocked how quickly that honey banana worked, maybe I should just do that every night. And actually my breakfast is always whole farm fresh eggs with bacon cooked in butter because I know I can get through the morning or the entire day with just that and very alert and never hungry. It’s funny you say get outside and get some sun, I am a letter carrier and when I do deliver mail I am out….a lot, but this week has been in class for training and I sit right in front of the window, but maybe not enough. Next week I will be outside all day for the entire week so I will see how that goes. Thanks for the input.

Robert Haas
    Participant

Instead of a banana or honey try coconut milk or a little MCT oil. That shot of UV light during the day activates vitamin D & dopamine which balances serotonin which converts of melatonin at night. Melatonin activates leptin which controls metabolic set points. No melatonin = leptin resistance = carb cravings and increased fat storage.

If you wear sun glasses during the day, try limiting it to mid day. UV light is not only absorbed by the skin but into the hypothalamus. The eyes not only connect to the visual cortex in the brain but directly to the hypothalamus which signals the peneal gland to make melatonin after dark.

Why not just supplement with melatonin? Because other hormones need to clear out so melatonin can work. Also, supplementing shuts down natural production and can shrink the peneal gland.

steve091
    Participant

Ok, I will give that a try,it seems odd that going low carb, < 30g, causes this to happen. I do get lots of sun, with and without sunglasses and I have tried Melatonin supplements but they never seemed to work either so I stopped, this was a long time ago. I know I mentioned this before but it seems eating some carbs more towards the end of the night lets me fall asleep, truthfully I never get carb cravings. I started my carb reduction lifestyle back in late 90’s after reading The Zone and really since then, especially now that I have completely cut out bread, rice, pasta and any processed carbs, I don’t get carb cravings, I don’t even get hunger pangs, maybe once or twice a week, but they are short and I have enough self discipline to let them go even if I was staring at a table of bad carbs. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate everything everyone writes.

Robert Haas
    Participant

Ok, I will give that a try,it seems odd that going low carb, < 30g, causes this to happen.

That’s the problem with ULC diets. I don’t function well on them and many people don’t. Personally, I prefer a LC diet of under 100 grams a day keeping them later in the day with enough fats to keep satiety at bay at night. Ideally if you get melatonin bump at night you should be refreshed by daybreak and have ghrelin kicking in making you hungry.

steve091
    Participant

I totally agree. It’s obvious I don’t either. I know I can feel great with only eating a couple of cups of brussel sprouts and a sweet potato so I should probably take those hints and work with them. I do eat a lot of fat mainly organic butter and cream so I know I am getting enough fats and it does a great job at keeping the hunger at bay all day.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Ok, I will give that a try,it seems odd that going low carb, < 30g, causes this to happen.

That’s the problem with ULC diets. I don’t function well on them and many people don’t. Personally, I prefer a LC diet of under 100 grams a day keeping them later in the day with enough fats to keep satiety at bay at night. Ideally if you get melatonin bump at night you should be refreshed by daybreak and have ghrelin kicking in making you hungry.

Pretty refreshing to hear this being discussed now. Two years ago on this forum people were so dogmatic about ULC.

I always felt better consuming 50-100 g of carbs per day rather than strict ULC. Also allowing yourself that many carbs (as opposed to none) REALLY opens up your food choices, which allows you to have more variety in your diet. I think that is a very underrated aspect of a healthy diet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Results…when does this happen?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?