Scale weight

• This topic has 6 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I've noticed lately on Facebook from people such as Paul Carter, Mark Bell, and Brandon Lilly that they all say you should be paying attention to scale weight and that it does matter. I know they aren't on the same level as Kiefer with knowledge, where the last year or so everyone used to say the scale weight doesn't matter.Yesterday morning on my scale after waking up I weighed 253lb. Wednesday morning I weighed 255. I had a fitness test for a law enforcement job and on their scale I weighed 261. This morning after waking up I weighed 259. This is 6 days after my CN. I've been eating pretty much the same ULC carb meals, so I didn't eat anything different. So, does the scale weight really matter? It is going in the right direction, but there's just no consistency.

It can matter.If you are in a weight class sport it does. It gives ideas of how food effects you, and it can also help give idea's of recovery.It's simply another tool.

Richard Schmitt

It can matter.If you are in a weight class sport it does. It gives ideas of how food effects you, and it can also help give idea's of recovery.It's simply another tool.

Exactly my thinking too.

I've actually been taking it easy workout wise for the past few weeks due to the physical fitness test I had yesterday. I didn't want to take any risks getting hurt or anything. Last time I actually lifted was last Tuesday. I started CN back on July 22nd and I already dropped majority of the belly fat I put on over the Summer.  My starting weight was 272lb. I want to get down to 240lb. before my Doctor's appointment on November 20th for a colonoscopy(getting it so young due to family history)Here's an easy sample of what I have been eating6:00-coffee with 2 tbsp. of hwc9:30: " " " "12:00: 4 omega 3 scrambled eggs with a few extra egg whites cooked in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil with 3/4 cup of grilled pepper and onion's with 3-4 pieces of bacon.3:00- 1/2 lb. of grass-fed beef stuffed with 4 small cut cubes of grass fed cheese, 2 pieces of bacon.6:00- 4 eggs cooked in coconut oil, 3-4 pieces of bacon.8:00-4-5 grilled chicken tenders cooked in ghee, seasoned with parmesan cheese, garlic salt, Cajun salt.The only other differences I might have is Perdue Buffalo wings that has 1 carb per servings, 10 grams of fat per serving with 18 grams of protein. I typically have 3 servings when I eat them. I rarely use dressings. I was eating a keto desert on some nights(keto lava cake in a mug or bacon covered with ULC chocolate), but the scale was still moving.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Your weight is just one of the many measurements that can be used to judge progress.  However you have to understand what it means.  If you are very overweight (25% bodyfat and up), your scale weight should decrease if you are on a diet.  If it doesn't, something is wrong.If you have been training for 5 years, your scale weight should decrease if you are on a diet.  Any muscle growth you have will be neglible compared to fat loss.However, if you are newer to training and you are 15% bodyfat or less, this is where the scale becomes less useful because muscle growth will occur at a similar rate as fat loss.  Therefore your weight will likely not change dramtically.It just so happens that most people on the forums fall in scenario number 3.

TCB
    Participant

I'm with Trevor. It can be a helpful tool in certain circumstances.The problem comes in when people try to use daily scale weight as the sole method of tracking progress.I feel like if you weigh yourself 2-3x/wk and you find the scale moving down, but you're maintaining/gaining strength in your workouts, then that's a good indicator you're making progress in terms of fat loss.And somewhat vice versa, I'm not working out right now, but I'm weighing myself a few times a week because I'm trying to find out how much food I can eat without gaining fat. So if I'm not working out, and can bump food up, without scale going up on a weekly basis, then I feel I'm making progress.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm with Trevor. It can be a helpful tool in certain circumstances.The problem comes in when people try to use daily scale weight as the sole method of tracking progress.I feel like if you weigh yourself 2-3x/wk and you find the scale moving down, but you're maintaining/gaining strength in your workouts, then that's a good indicator you're making progress in terms of fat loss.And somewhat vice versa, I'm not working out right now, but I'm weighing myself a few times a week because I'm trying to find out how much food I can eat without gaining fat. So if I'm not working out, and can bump food up, without scale going up on a weekly basis, then I feel I'm making progress.

That's also an important point.  Daily scale measurements are pretty bad to do.  They can be useful for very diet savvy people who know their bodies well, but most people aren't in touch with their bodies that well.

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

I agree with the points here.  I track scale weight, which I take once a week.  I have been weight training for 15 years, so I know as a natural trainee I'm not going to gain a whole lot of muscle, especially while at a deficit.  But I also track measurements and strength numbers as well as taking periodic pictures to get the whole picture.  Bottom line for me, as an experienced weight lifter at 19%-ish BF, if the scale isn't moving down for me then I'm doing it wrong.My wife, on the other hand, doesn't have much to lose, and has only been lifting seriously for about 18 months.  Scale weight means less for her, and even though she "Knows" this in her head, it still messes with her of she doesn't lose or shows a slight gain.

I've been working out for nearly 12 years at this point. I know i'm losing bf but i'm just confused with the scale. I will probably leave it to the point of only weighing myself on the morning off the actual CN. I only weighed myself so much lately due to the physical fitness test I had to take. I think my only real issues in the past while on CN was lifting too heavy too often causing too much stress on my body. I know I work best on a 3 day lifting schedule while on CN. I'm going to look into Shockwave for a 3 day split or condense Paul Carter's Zenith 2 program into a 3 day split. Have the hardest days day 2 and 3 following the CN and HIIT the day after and maybe day 4.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scale weight

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?