Shoulder impingement

• This topic has 5 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Gl;itch.e

At one point I was squatting with one across my shoulders using pieces of garden hose tied around it as handles. It wasn't comfortable but it was getting the job done. Also I was using another, smaller, railroad tie to carry from one end of the garden to the other, alternating shoulders. It all sounds very crude, I know, but it wasn't entirely reckless.It's frustrating because I do a lot of work on my back at the gym and I'm very strict about form. Also, I'm incredibly stubborn so I don't always rest it when I should.

Like as in a front squat? Could be biceps, could also be the AC Joint (hopefully its not) Check for trigger points in your biceps.

guitarjon
    Participant

At one point I was squatting with one across my shoulders using pieces of garden hose tied around it as handles. It wasn't comfortable but it was getting the job done. Also I was using another, smaller, railroad tie to carry from one end of the garden to the other, alternating shoulders. It all sounds very crude, I know, but it wasn't entirely reckless.It's frustrating because I do a lot of work on my back at the gym and I'm very strict about form. Also, I'm incredibly stubborn so I don't always rest it when I should.

Like as in a front squat? Could be biceps, could also be the AC Joint (hopefully its not) Check for trigger points in your biceps.

No, sorry I just realized that sounded more like a front squat.  It was a back squat.  The size and shape of the thing made it awkward to really nail my form.  This was intended to be a leg workout.  Either the next day or two days later I hit the gym to train chest using SW.  That workout included iso incline presses and decline bb presses.  The shoulder thing flared up the morning after that, I'm just pretty confident the railroad tie session triggered it.

Gl;itch.e

No, sorry I just realized that sounded more like a front squat.  It was a back squat.  The size and shape of the thing made it awkward to really nail my form.  This was intended to be a leg workout.  Either the next day or two days later I hit the gym to train chest using SW.  That workout included iso incline presses and decline bb presses.  The shoulder thing flared up the morning after that, I'm just pretty confident the railroad tie session triggered it.

Which of these two would cause you the most pain/discomfort if you where to do them again? What other exercises did you perform that day?

guitarjon
    Participant

Which of these two would cause you the most pain/discomfort if you where to do them again? What other exercises did you perform that day?

The decline presses would definitely cause the more discomfort.  I was also doing db pullovers, flat bench bb presses, hammer curls and rope handle pushdowns.

Gl;itch.e

The decline presses would definitely cause the more discomfort.  I was also doing db pullovers, flat bench bb presses, hammer curls and rope handle pushdowns.

D'Oh. You said you couldnt get your arm straight across your chest? Sounds like it could be the AC Joint then. That one would definately need some rest. Your not being able to get your arm across your chest sounds a bit fishy too. If you have a tennis ball (or something equivalent) at home try rolling out your Infraspinatus. As with most shoulder injuries theres several components to the problem and this could be one based on what you have said. Just giving you ideas. IMO If you dont want to see a therapist like Dmunnee has suggested you are better off resting, leaving out all exercises you experience pain/discomfort on and reading up and self treating trigger points.

guitarjon
    Participant

D'Oh. You said you couldnt get your arm straight across your chest? Sounds like it could be the AC Joint then. That one would definately need some rest. Your not being able to get your arm across your chest sounds a bit fishy too. If you have a tennis ball (or something equivalent) at home try rolling out your Infraspinatus. As with most shoulder injuries theres several components to the problem and this could be one based on what you have said. Just giving you ideas. IMO If you dont want to see a therapist like Dmunnee has suggested you are better off resting, leaving out all exercises you experience pain/discomfort on and reading up and self treating trigger points.

Yeah, definitely all good advice.  I had more-or-less the same problem earlier this year I think and giving myself a week without going to the gym definitely made it a lot better.  I've really got to keep on top of the trigger point stuff for sure.

So I seem to have a problem in my left shoulder that creeps up every so-often, particularly when I start training heavier.  This time I believe I screwed it up a bit by training the other day in my backyard.  I decided to carry some old railroad ties around.  It was a good workout but my shoulder didn't really enjoy it. I've done a bit of research on my own and I'm pretty confident that I've got shoulder impingement to some degree.  It's very aggravating for me because I'm very strict about using good form (except when I carry railroad ties, apparently).  I'm right handed so my left side is inherently weaker than my right.  On top of that, I play guitar around 20 hours a week.  I'd say my approach to training is very balanced overall, but I do tend to go a bit hard on myself, normally training 5-6 days a week.  A few months ago I saw a physiotherapist for a few sessions but to be honest, not much came of it.  To say I stretch regularly is an understatement and when something hurts, I ice it or apply heat frequently.  I'm very reluctant to take painkillers, and usually just deal with it.  I'm planning on taking this next week off from the gym, though I'm still going to do some bodyweight type stuff at home just to keep myself conditioned.  If anybody could help me out with a bit of advice or any similar experiences I'd appreciate it.

Try taking Cissus Quadrangularis... dead serious.  Let me know how you feel in a week.  😉Everyone I've turned onto that has recovered from chronic joint issues within days, including a dude on here.  Worked for me as well, and I am both a bodybuilder and competative full-contact martial artist.http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/uspowders/bulk-super-cissus-rx-100-grams.htmlAs for training, perhaps a week or two (on Cissus) of active recovery would be in order.  Then, get right back in the trenches.Best of luck.Cory

guitarjon
    Participant

So I seem to have a problem in my left shoulder that creeps up every so-often, particularly when I start training heavier.  This time I believe I screwed it up a bit by training the other day in my backyard.  I decided to carry some old railroad ties around.  It was a good workout but my shoulder didn't really enjoy it. I've done a bit of research on my own and I'm pretty confident that I've got shoulder impingement to some degree.  It's very aggravating for me because I'm very strict about using good form (except when I carry railroad ties, apparently).  I'm right handed so my left side is inherently weaker than my right.  On top of that, I play guitar around 20 hours a week.  I'd say my approach to training is very balanced overall, but I do tend to go a bit hard on myself, normally training 5-6 days a week.  A few months ago I saw a physiotherapist for a few sessions but to be honest, not much came of it.  To say I stretch regularly is an understatement and when something hurts, I ice it or apply heat frequently.  I'm very reluctant to take painkillers, and usually just deal with it.  I'm planning on taking this next week off from the gym, though I'm still going to do some bodyweight type stuff at home just to keep myself conditioned.  If anybody could help me out with a bit of advice or any similar experiences I'd appreciate it.

Try taking Cissus Quadrangularis... dead serious.  Let me know how you feel in a week.  😉Everyone I've turned onto that has recovered from chronic joint issues within days, including a dude on here.  Worked for me as well, and I am both a bodybuilder and competative full-contact martial artist.http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/uspowders/bulk-super-cissus-rx-100-grams.htmlAs for training, perhaps a week or two (on Cissus) of active recovery would be in order.  Then, get right back in the trenches.Best of luck.Cory

Thanks for that!  I checked that link, however I live in England so I checked a site I typically use and found this http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/mega_cissusThe one you provided the link for is 20% ketones, this one is 50% ketones.  How do you think this compares?

Thanks for that!  I checked that link, however I live in England so I checked a site I typically use and found this http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/mega_cissusThe one you provided the link for is 20% ketones, this one is 50% ketones.  How do you think this compares?

Higher concentration, it sounds like.  Go for it.  I've used a 10% product before, and still got great results.  Been on Cissus since early 2010-ish... only recently began taking the Super Cissus RX product (recently, as in late 2011).I used to have shoulder 'clicks', as well as a recurring pain in my elbow from heavy lifting (had the clicks for years)... that was a couple years ago.  Once I began Cissus, both went away within a week.  Haven't had either since.  Pains come and go, but mostly go now.  I keep taking Cissus nightly, even when there is no pain -- sorta like maintenance.Cory

guitarjon
    Participant

Higher concentration, it sounds like.  Go for it.  I've used a 10% product before, and still got great results.  Been on Cissus since early 2010-ish... only recently began taking the Super Cissus RX product (recently, as in late 2011).I used to have shoulder 'clicks', as well as a recurring pain in my elbow from heavy lifting (had the clicks for years)... that was a couple years ago.  Once I began Cissus, both went away within a week.  Haven't had either since.  Pains come and go, but mostly go now.  I keep taking Cissus nightly, even when there is no pain -- sorta like maintenance.Cory

I'll definitely give it a shot.  Being that I always seem to be using my shoulders, elbows, wrists or fingers I don't think I can expect to ever be fully cured of any of the pains or discomforts that come with wear and tear.  I'm anxious to see how this stuff works.

I'll definitely give it a shot.  Being that I always seem to be using my shoulders, elbows, wrists or fingers I don't think I can expect to ever be fully cured of any of the pains or discomforts that come with wear and tear.  I'm anxious to see how this stuff works.

Definitely.I see you must be a guitarist... so am I (progressive rock / metal & blues), so, I hear you about constantly using said limbs and digits.  LOL.Best of luck.Cory

guitarjon
    Participant

Definitely.I see you must be a guitarist... so am I (progressive rock / metal & blues), so, I hear you about constantly using said limbs and digits.  LOL.Best of luck.Cory

Yeah, definitely all about the metal.  If I'm not in the gym I'm eating or melting faces. 😉

Gl;itch.e

Yeah, definitely all about the metal.  If I'm not in the gym I'm eating or melting faces. 😉

dude! all that shredding must be super catabolic!

guitarjon
    Participant

dude! all that shredding must be super catabolic!

Ha, for sure!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shoulder impingement

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?