Shoulder impingement

• This topic has 5 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

guitarjon
    Participant

So I seem to have a problem in my left shoulder that creeps up every so-often, particularly when I start training heavier.  This time I believe I screwed it up a bit by training the other day in my backyard.  I decided to carry some old railroad ties around.  It was a good workout but my shoulder didn't really enjoy it. I've done a bit of research on my own and I'm pretty confident that I've got shoulder impingement to some degree.  It's very aggravating for me because I'm very strict about using good form (except when I carry railroad ties, apparently).  I'm right handed so my left side is inherently weaker than my right.  On top of that, I play guitar around 20 hours a week.  I'd say my approach to training is very balanced overall, but I do tend to go a bit hard on myself, normally training 5-6 days a week.  A few months ago I saw a physiotherapist for a few sessions but to be honest, not much came of it.  To say I stretch regularly is an understatement and when something hurts, I ice it or apply heat frequently.  I'm very reluctant to take painkillers, and usually just deal with it.  I'm planning on taking this next week off from the gym, though I'm still going to do some bodyweight type stuff at home just to keep myself conditioned.  If anybody could help me out with a bit of advice or any similar experiences I'd appreciate it.

Fairy

How are your pushups and pullups? Can you use full range of motion for 15+?

guitarjon
    Participant

How are your pushups and pullups? Can you use full range of motion for 15+?

I can, yeah.  That doesn't mean there's no discomfort.  Doing things like frontal raises or upright rows (which isn't an exercise I've ever been too comfortable with) are where it really gets irritated.  It is difficult to get full range of motion when I stretch my left arm across my chest, though if I turn my left hand so my palm faces upward I can get the full range. I've noticed that when I've aggravated it previously. 

Fairy

If it's just aggravated, you can rest it for six *solid* weeks and allow it to fully recover. If it reoccurs after that, you're going to have to keep on looking for a decent physio.

guitarjon
    Participant

If it's just aggravated, you can rest it for six *solid* weeks and allow it to fully recover. That's what I'm afraid of really.  The word "rest" and "6 weeks" in the same sentence.  I'm trying to be rational about it and to take care of myself.  I want to grow and get stronger and my stubbornness tends to get the better of me.If it reoccurs after that, you're going to have to keep on looking for a decent physio.

Fairy

Well, you can either do it the easy way and take six weeks to rest it now, or you can keep pushing it, seriously injure it and have trouble with it for the next 6 years +Sounds like now is the time to back off. It's only a month and a half.

guitarjon
    Participant

Well, you can either do it the easy way and take six weeks to rest it now, or you can keep pushing it, seriously injure it and have trouble with it for the next 6 years +Sounds like now is the time to back off. It's only a month and a half.

Very True

guitarjon
    Participant

I don't want to sound ignorant, because I think you're right, but what would constitute a “solid week” of resting it?  Would that involve any training at all, be it plyometrics, legs or back training at the gym?

Fairy

Sure, you can do leg press, machines for your legs, isolated bicep curls etc. anything that doesn't put weight on your shoulders. Your aim is to not lose muscle mass, don't be trying to go for personal bests. You only need to train twice a week. Do full body, minus any thing that would use your shoulders. Don't lift heavy, you just need to give the muscles enough stimulus that your body knows you still need them. Probably best that you're on CNS for this period if you're not already on it.

hsi2935
    Participant

I have a similar issue in my right shoulder. What's worked for me has been mobility work with a foam roller (PVC pipe now) and lacrosse ball to the mid to upper back area. Also, chin ups and presses (overhead) as outlined by Mark Rippetoe. I'd stay away from side lateral raises, upright rows and dips. Those 3 aggravated my injury.

Fairy

Yeah, it will be worth waiting six weeks for the muscle to recover before you slowly re-introduce the pullups, pressups and overhead press (CHEK style, with dumbells) but they can help in the long term.Foam rolling would be great! Here's how to do it for your upper back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOuY38vu5I&feature=related

Gl;itch.e

Pullups were the worst for me. If you dont have Excellent scapular retraction and depression strength they are really bad IMO. I dont think you need to lay off completely. Simply avoid all exercises that cause pain or discomfort. Really work on strengthening the middle/lower traps, rhomboids, rotator cuff muscles, rear delts. Do some self myo-fascial release on lats, anterior delts, traps, pecs and biceps. Make sure you have a good mental connection with your scapula. And any time you do add the "bad" exercises in make sure you are using perfect form. Try not to do any grinders or heavy sets with bad form. That is essentially where these problems come from in the first place. How were you carrying these railroad ties that caused your problem to flare up? Could be the biceps that are causing your shoulder pain.

Damon Amato
    Participant

So I seem to have a problem in my left shoulder that creeps up every so-often, particularly when I start training heavier.  This time I believe I screwed it up a bit by training the other day in my backyard.  I decided to carry some old railroad ties around.  It was a good workout but my shoulder didn't really enjoy it. I've done a bit of research on my own and I'm pretty confident that I've got shoulder impingement to some degree.  It's very aggravating for me because I'm very strict about using good form (except when I carry railroad ties, apparently).  I'm right handed so my left side is inherently weaker than my right.  On top of that, I play guitar around 20 hours a week.  I'd say my approach to training is very balanced overall, but I do tend to go a bit hard on myself, normally training 5-6 days a week.  A few months ago I saw a physiotherapist for a few sessions but to be honest, not much came of it.  To say I stretch regularly is an understatement and when something hurts, I ice it or apply heat frequently.  I'm very reluctant to take painkillers, and usually just deal with it.  I'm planning on taking this next week off from the gym, though I'm still going to do some bodyweight type stuff at home just to keep myself conditioned.  If anybody could help me out with a bit of advice or any similar experiences I'd appreciate it.

I know we all like to do research around here, but these kind of things are best left to be determined by an orthopedist, if not at least an Athletic Trainer.

guitarjon
    Participant

Pullups were the worst for me. If you dont have Excellent scapular retraction and depression strength they are really bad IMO. I dont think you need to lay off completely. Simply avoid all exercises that cause pain or discomfort. Really work on strengthening the middle/lower traps, rhomboids, rotator cuff muscles, rear delts. Do some self myo-fascial release on lats, anterior delts, traps, pecs and biceps. Make sure you have a good mental connection with your scapula. And any time you do add the "bad" exercises in make sure you are using perfect form. Try not to do any grinders or heavy sets with bad form. That is essentially where these problems come from in the first place. How were you carrying these railroad ties that caused your problem to flare up? Could be the biceps that are causing your shoulder pain.

At one point I was squatting with one across my shoulders using pieces of garden hose tied around it as handles. It wasn't comfortable but it was getting the job done. Also I was using another, smaller, railroad tie to carry from one end of the garden to the other, alternating shoulders. It all sounds very crude, I know, but it wasn't entirely reckless.It's frustrating because I do a lot of work on my back at the gym and I'm very strict about form. Also, I'm incredibly stubborn so I don't always rest it when I should.

Gl;itch.e

Yeah, it will be worth waiting six weeks for the muscle to recover before you slowly re-introduce the pullups, pressups and overhead press (CHEK style, with dumbells) but they can help in the long term.Foam rolling would be great! Here's how to do it for your upper back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOuY38vu5I&feature=related

Im not saying your advice isnt worth taking Fairy, but it depends on the cause of Jons problem. If it is trigger points for instance, taking a layoff wouldnt help him at all. In fact he'd probably be worse off because the problem would still be there but his strength would have been reduced somewhat. This would just cause additional strain on the muscles making any present trigger points worse. Inflamed Tendons do need time to heal though. So no matter what therapuetic avenue you try youll need to refrain from any exercise that causes pain or discomfit. Jon, Im a guitar player as well and I have had heaps of trouble with my right shoulder. Trigger Points in the Levator Scapulae and Upper traps are major components of my problem. Its worth paying attention to these areas and keeping them healthy through regular trigger point massage.The only reason I say all this is because Ive had/have so many of these nagging issues and injuries which just come down to trigger points and tissue health.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shoulder impingement

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?