Squat – Low or High bar?

• This topic has 15 voices and 40 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

AciD

What's your opinion?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgchttp://nicktumminello.com/2012/05/back-squats-whats-the-best-bar-placement-high-bar-vs-low-bar-position/I prefer high, as I can't get the right grip on the bar and my wrists hurt while doing low bar... Any suggestions?

Laxer

Go low bar, at least for a little while. Most people have terrible posterior chain development. Low bar hits the glutes and hamstrings much more efficiently and has done wonders for my strength, pelvic alignment and posture.

AciD

I'm super-ashamed to say, that I've heard “posterior chain” many times, but I don't know what it is or how it works, gonna google it in a sec, but can anyone tell with simple words what it is and how it applies to us?Oh, I see now

The posterior chain is a group of muscles, tendons and ligaments on the posterior kinetic chain of the body. Examples of these muscles include the biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, erector spinae muscle group, trapezius, posterior deltoids, and so on.

How should I hold the bar exactly?

I do both, though I prefer high bar.I love low bar for the posterior chain work but I have a bad injury in my left shoulder and low bar tends to aggravate it.

Daniel Lott

70sbig.com had an article on low bar versus high bar a while back that I felt was pretty good and may help you out: http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/Like the article emphasizes, some of it really depends on your goals.  In general I think it's a little harder to get the form right on low bar, but if you're doing high bar, you'd probably want to add something like Romanian Deadlifts to get some more hamstring work in.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Do both of them.  But to be honest, I think most people should do more high bar squats.  While the low bar squat is probably better for strength purposes, I think the high bar squat is easier on your shoulders and is better for developing range of movement and flexibity.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I tend to think most people should learn to low bar squat (even if they don't do it that way all the time). I do low bar mostly because my hamstrings suck and I have no access to a glute/ham raise.

AciD

My hamstrings are the strongest muscles in my body, I'd like to improve quads more. However my lower back is not so impressive – Should I aim for both?

maxwkw

Why not? I do low bar squatting on my squat days an I tend to do high bar Olympic style squatting on my deadlift days as an accessory movement.

Tanner Fox
    Participant

I'm super-ashamed to say, that I've heard "posterior chain" many times, but I don't know what it is or how it works, gonna google it in a sec, but can anyone tell with simple words what it is and how it applies to us?Oh, I see now

The posterior chain is a group of muscles, tendons and ligaments on the posterior kinetic chain of the body. Examples of these muscles include the biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, erector spinae muscle group, trapezius, posterior deltoids, and so on.

How should I hold the bar exactly?

http://www.google.com/search?q=posterior+chain&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FCgcUNjcDcesrQHj54HQBA&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|4;d|lHTKlfmmGNu-nM:

McLeod2012

My hamstrings are the strongest muscles in my body, I'd like to improve quads more. However my lower back is not so impressive - Should I aim for both?

Front squats! Targets these areas most an less with hamstrings. Just make sure your stance isn't wide.

RagE

I do low bar, and supplement with oly/front squats. It just feels more natural, and makes my spine happy.

My hamstrings are the strongest muscles in my body, I'd like to improve quads more. However my lower back is not so impressive - Should I aim for both?

Front squats! Targets these areas most an less with hamstrings. Just make sure your stance isn't wide.

+1Hacks also work well for more Quad involvement.  Just ensure you contract your Quads during the movement, and really emphasize them.People really need to learn to contract and feel muscles working, otherwise they are just wasting their time lifting.Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

+1Hacks also work well for more Quad involvement.  Just ensure you contract your Quads during the movement, and really emphasize them.People really need to learn to contract and feel muscles working, otherwise they are just wasting their time lifting.Cory

What is the point of a hack squat?  The only time I have ever done them is when I didn't have a squat rack.  I find it to be a very difficult exercise.  I am talking about doing it with a barbell.

pshannon

I use the hack squat machine for really burning out the quads. I dont take a very wide stance, hit rock bottom and never lock out. Its great for the lower portion of the quad. Usually throw them in after squats. To each their own.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Squat – Low or High bar?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?