Subbing rack pulls for squats etc with knee injury ?

• This topic has 5 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Twinkeelfool
    Participant

I have an issue with my knee at the moment ( it's full of wires ), and while at the start of rehab, I was able to slowly build up some strength with squats, it just doesn't feel right anymore. I'm not sure but I think the strength I've built up now pulls harder in the wires and irritates my knee ( there are “k” wires anchored in both top and bottom tendons ).  The wires come out mid next year so til then I'm working around it but would like a decent lower body strength excercise.So, i was thinking of trying a higher than normal rack pull, with the bar above my knee. Do you guys think there'll be any benefit in doing this?, I like doing lower body stuff for trunk strength.At the moment I'm doing weighted step ups for strengthening my quads and glutes, as even leg press is a little arkward at the moment.

Richard Schmitt

Is it squats in general or can you do different variations? Because if you're doing weighted step ups, you could try to do a Quarter DB Squat. Just holding DBs beside your hips.

Twinkeelfool
    Participant

For a while the front squats were no problem but then they gave me issues as well. So, just hold the dumbbells by my side and do 1/4 squats ?, which I guess would be between standing straight and a 90deg squat??Kind of annoying because I like to squat. It seems to be worst when driving off my heels. Really puts tension on my bottom tendon. Very annoying because I was doing well.I'll give the 1/4 squats a goThanks mate

Richard Schmitt

It has to do with squats as the bar is across your back then?Yes, hold the DBs on the side and perform squats, but as deep as you can without hurting yourself. Which is why I suggested 1/4 squats.

Twinkeelfool
    Participant

No sorry, front squats and back squats, split squats too. I could try just a front squat ( my fave ) but just try 1/4. Thanks mate

Bradley R. Collins
    Participant

I have a knee issue as well, and for the time being I'm doing box squats set to a height before any pain.  Is that an option?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Have you ever considered wearing knee wraps?  That may allow you to squat.  Anyways, doing rack pulls above the knee will likely not do much.  Why don't you just do deadlifts?

Twinkeelfool
    Participant

Any weight while I'm bending my leg causes the wires to scrape/pull on my tendons. Except for step ups. I tried 1/4 squats. No good even with bodyweight. Might just have to wait it out.

TCB
    Participant

Any weight while I'm bending my leg causes the wires to scrape/pull on my tendons. Except for step ups. I tried 1/4 squats. No good even with bodyweight. Might just have to wait it out.

Did you try box squats, like ace suggested? A very posterior type of squatting might not cause the issue

Twinkeelfool
    Participant

No not yet, I'll look into them, thanks mate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subbing rack pulls for squats etc with knee injury ?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?