Sugar the bitter truth

• This topic has 8 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Great film! Tells you why fructose is bad for backloading, and deals with alot of common nutrition myths. It's on Youtube, and is about 1h 30m long. Watch it in segments if you have to. It's just that good. 🙂http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oMedit: forgot to post link >.<

Naomi Most

Yeah, this is a great talk. Even made my Starbucks chai-loving boyfriend pay attention, and that's saying something.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

The short version done by some other dude (you'll find the video on youtube easily) is also quite good if you're in a hurry 🙂

Damon Amato
    Participant

finally got around to watching this.  How has the USDA not assassinated this guy?  The biochemistry laid out was unmistakable.  You can't deny it.  Boy would I love to have him as a guest lecturer.

Naomi Most

Because people tend to believe the very first things they read or hear… and by the time people stumble on a talk like this, the USDA will have already sunk its hooks into the listener thousands of times over. Most people won't even watch it, I'm sure.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I must like to stir things up.  Below is Alan Aragon's rebuttle to Lustig's talk.  Should make interesting conversation.http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Chris

i clicked on the link and seen 1hr 30min there is no way i am watching that… so i start watching the start just to get an idea of what its about. I watched the whole thing. 🙂Very enjoyable. think i am going to cut down on the amount of fructose in my diet for my backloads

Cropsy

Yeah same here. I was gonna watch it in segments and ended up getting through most of it in one sitting. He's a very engaging speaker.I'm also trying to cut back on fructose in my backloads. I've been chomping on Glucose brownies (just find a decent brownie recipe and sub Glucose powder for sugar; divide the amount of sugar called for by 0.7).

Naomi Most

I must like to stir things up.  Below is Alan Aragon's rebuttle to Lustig's talk.  Should make interesting conversation.http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

"On the contrary, bananas, grapefruits, Mandarin oranges, apples, grapes, watermelons, pears, persimmons, peaches, and strawberries are significant staples of the Japanese diet [17]. "I find that hard to believe. I spent 3 months in Japan back in 2008-2009, spending weeks on farms near Tokyo, Kamakura, Matsumoto, and Kyoto.Fruit is hella expensive in Japan and none of the families I stayed with ate any, except persimmons during persimmon season, apples during apple season, and dried persimmons over the winter -- roughly 1 piece of fruit per day. I wouldn't call that a "significant staple".I'm talking 2000 yen for a single melon (over $20).

Damon Amato
    Participant

hmm, interesting.  I didn't realize fruit was so expensive there.  It's too bad Lustig isn't very good at internet arguments and Alan Aragon has perfected them.  Makes for a very one sided show.

Naomi Most

I think Alan's right about lots of things, but his preconceived conclusion that everything always boils down to calories-in calories-out means that he'll always have blinders on to other possibilities.The problem is that nutritional science is (still) heavily biased towards the following preconceived notions:* a high-fat diet causes heart disease* having high cholesterol is a bad thing* cutting calories is the only way to lose weight* a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.Thus Alan can always pull out a single study to go along with any particular point he makes, because the vast majority of nutrition scientists start with his favorite bias to begin with.As soon as you stop making the unproven assumptions that most people are making right now, you're on the hook to work a lot harder... you know, like actually read the studies and put together original thoughts...

Defiance

Leipzig is a good speaker but his powerpoint is shitty. That is a bit of a problem.If someone funded a top-level documentary with animations that showed the biochemistry in a way that even a kid could understand (because that's what it's going to take to make 99% of the human population to understand ANYTHING) I would show it to all my friends and family. It's hard to get people to watch a 1 hr talk like this, when all they wanna do is watch football and drink coke...But those are the people who NEED to understand just how bad this stuff really is. Too bad he doesn't include all the OTHER things that sugar will do to you that wrecks your body.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I think the worst part of it is that unless he has 3 months to prepare, Lustig is not great at arguing his own points as is pointed out when Alan Aragon called him out.  Even though Aragon is a research cherry picker, I'd put money on him winning every single internet argument about anything.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If I ever became the president I would give Kiefer and Naomi very high poistions in the USDA.

Naomi Most

I think the worst part of it is that unless he has 3 months to prepare, Lustig is not great at arguing his own points as is pointed out when Alan Aragon called him out.  Even though Aragon is a research cherry picker, I'd put money on him winning every single internet argument about anything.

He has built his entire persona on what you just said.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sugar the bitter truth

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?