Tabata Only?

• This topic has 8 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

Has anybody ever tried JUST doing Tabata style intervals for their cardio training?What effects (if any) did you see? -- in comparison to what you were doing before (whether it was nothing or some serious amounts of HIIT or LISS)?

Richard Schmitt

OOOH!!! I want to try this!!! I've been doing something similiar to this but not quite. For a couple weeks I would do 30 second all out sprint follow by 2 minutes of active rest, for a good 30 minutes. Then I started this last week with 1 minutes active rest, with (tried doing 4 minute sprint, couldn't do it haha) 2 minute all out sprint. I would do roughly 8-10 abouts like this. Kicked my ass. But doing this 20 seconds kill yourself, then 10 second rest. All this for 8 minutes, three times a week? mhmm…sounds too good to be true O.o

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

I used to do tabata-style intervals back when I was initially trying to lose weight.  I spent about a year trying to just exercise the weight off…. nobody told me that I would just eat more without realizing it if I didn't get control of my diet first…Anyway, I was doing any kind of extreme intensity cardio, 20 seconds full out, 10 off for 5 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, repeat for a total of 25 minutes.  I started with sprints and progressed it to jumping lunges, box jumps, and all forms of crossfit-style nonsense.  a person could really hurt themselves with the crap I was trying ...So the first thing I would caution is with only 10 seconds rest(that's not a recovery), your heart rate will slowly climb into the stratosphere.  If you are not conditioned to maintain a heart rate at 220 or more, you won't be able to push full intensity.  After a year, my heart rate would still hit 220-230 within 8 minutes of starting and stay there until I had quit for at least 4 minutes.  I've heard that isn't the best thing to be doing... The other issue I saw is that no matter how hard you try, you can't keep up full, 100% exertion with such a small recovery phase.  After a few minutes your sprint becomes a struggle and the intensity goes down.  After 10 minutes you struggle to stand upright and basic moves start feeling complex and I always felt like I was going to slip, fall, and injure myself.  Continuing to push hard once you are beyond fatigued can't be safe, but that's just anecdotal observation.The biggest benefit I saw was an overall jump in my endurance and more muscle endurance.  I did like the stamina I gained from it, but I have a feeling it isn't the best way to burn fat or set the stage for growth within the Carb-mod programs here.

Richard Schmitt

I used to do tabata-style intervals back when I was initially trying to lose weight.  I spent about a year trying to just exercise the weight off.... nobody told me that I would just eat more without realizing it if I didn't get control of my diet first...Anyway, I was doing any kind of extreme intensity cardio, 20 seconds full out, 10 off for 5 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, repeat for a total of 25 minutes.  I started with sprints and progressed it to jumping lunges, box jumps, and all forms of crossfit-style nonsense.  a person could really hurt themselves with the crap I was trying ...So the first thing I would caution is with only 10 seconds rest(that's not a recovery), your heart rate will slowly climb into the stratosphere.  If you are not conditioned to maintain a heart rate at 220 or more, you won't be able to push full intensity.  After a year, my heart rate would still hit 220-230 within 8 minutes of starting and stay there until I had quit for at least 4 minutes.  I've heard that isn't the best thing to be doing... The other issue I saw is that no matter how hard you try, you can't keep up full, 100% exertion with such a small recovery phase.  After a few minutes your sprint becomes a struggle and the intensity goes down.  After 10 minutes you struggle to stand upright and basic moves start feeling complex and I always felt like I was going to slip, fall, and injure myself.  Continuing to push hard once you are beyond fatigued can't be safe, but that's just anecdotal observation.The biggest benefit I saw was an overall jump in my endurance and more muscle endurance.  I did like the stamina I gained from it, but I have a feeling it isn't the best way to burn fat or set the stage for growth within the Carb-mod programs here.

I knew it was too good to be true =/ I guess I'll stick with what Kiefer recommened for the HIIT then.

soulmind

I always do a four minute tabata at the end of my weight lifting workouts.  It's a killer way to increase your cardio threshold that doesn't take much time.  In a real world application I have noticed ridiculously fast recovery from taxing work.  I work as a Correction Officer and when an incident happens in the facility that I work at it is paramount to get there as fast as possible (i.e. sprinting).  It used to take me awhile to catch my breath after an incident concluded but after doing tabata regularly I recover almost instantly.  I would not recommend extending this style of cardio beyond the prescribed four minutes… it's too taxing if performed correctly.  Use it in addition to other cardio, but performed separately, if you like or use it alone either way I think you'll like the results.  Fat loss… yes.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

I like that idea soulmind. Just hit it hard for a few minutes instead of getting dangerous for 25 minutes. I might have to try it tomorrow.

soulmind

I've also thought about trying to extend it like you were doing Jeremy (and from time to time if I have a little left in the tank I might add one or two more 30 second intervals) but I feel like it is a rate of diminishing return if you do it too long.  No one can exert this level of effort more than a few minutes at a time.  That's what's great about it, you can never master it because your maximum effort will constantly increase.  It's also short enough that your body won't get smaller (like a marathon runner) but you get massive aerobic/anarobic benefits.  I laugh at people who say they can do this for 20-30 minutes.  They obviously don't understand 100%

soulmind

What I have been doing is in the mornings I do the four minutes to thirty second intervals Kiefer talks about and in the evenings I do my weight lifting with a tabata protocol at the end.  If I feel to tired at the end of my week (I am doing CN) I won't do the last cardio session if I don't have enough in the tank.  I'm trying to listen to my body.

Richard Schmitt

What I have been doing is in the mornings I do the four minutes to thirty second intervals Kiefer talks about and in the evenings I do my weight lifting with a tabata protocol at the end.  If I feel to tired at the end of my week (I am doing CN) I won't do the last cardio session if I don't have enough in the tank.  I'm trying to listen to my body.

Ok so this program is only done for a maximum of 10 minutes? I'm thinking that's a good idea. I try to do his other methods of HIIT the 2:1 deal, 2 minutes sprint, and 1 minute rest. That's done in the mornings and I'll do the same thing you do but with 2:1 never thought about the Tabata cardio

Damon Amato
    Participant

for a while I did 2 min at 90% max heartrate, 1 min rest, 5-6 sets.  That workload had some good research on it done (for improving cardiac efficiency).  There was a significant jump in efficiency in 4 weeks.  I don't think they measured fat loss though.

soulmind

No they didn't study fat loss, it was purely designed find the fastest way to improve aerobic capacity.  The benefit of this kind of training is that it won't make you smaller through hormones (like hour long steady state does) and it ignites your metabolism for an extended period of time for the short period it takes.  The original protocol calls for a warmup and cooldown but since I'm already warm from my weight lifting I just do the 20 second to 10 second intervals.  Try it, I think you'll like it.  BTW don't use a treadmill if you're using a machine (sprints are most effective but crossovers and bikes work good).  What I do on crossover machines (when I use them) is put the incline and resistance on max and kill myself on the 20 second work part of the intervals.

Richard Schmitt

No they didn't study fat loss, it was purely designed find the fastest way to improve aerobic capacity.  The benefit of this kind of training is that it won't make you smaller through hormones (like hour long steady state does) and it ignites your metabolism for an extended period of time for the short period it takes.  The original protocol calls for a warmup and cooldown but since I'm already warm from my weight lifting I just do the 20 second to 10 second intervals.  Try it, I think you'll like it.  BTW don't use a treadmill if you're using a machine (sprints are most effective but crossovers and bikes work good).  What I do on crossover machines (when I use them) is put the incline and resistance on max and kill myself on the 20 second work part of the intervals.

Alrighty then, tomorrow after I do my Chest and Biceps from Shockwave I throw in this workout afterwards. =D

CaseyD

Technically, tabata is only to be done for 4 mins fyi. Of course, you can do “tabata style” for more or less time depending on your goals/ability.Either way, excellent for some quick cardio and decent fat loss.

ADTS

Its not Tabata, but has worked for me in the past:10 min total time1 min warm up30 sec on (80-90% max heart rate)2 min off (light energy expenditure, just stay moving)30 sec on (80-90% max heart rate)2 min off (light energy expenditure, just stay moving)30 sec on (80-90% max heart rate)2 min off (light energy expenditure, just stay moving)30 sec on (80-90% max heart rate)1 min cool down stationary bike, hill sprints or pushing a prowler are my favorites.

soulmind

So Tex how did the Tabata go?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tabata Only?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?