Tabata Only?

• This topic has 8 voices and 26 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

So Tex how did the Tabata go?

Kicked my ass...I posted it on my CBL Log forum...I only could do 6 bouts before I couldn't breathe anymore. I really, really pushed myself during those 20 second sprints, with that increased tension. I forgot to post my Max HR and Recover HR, Max was only 171, and Recovery was 114...not sure why Max was that low (suppose to be around 200) but I was sweating and panting like crazy. I usually do 2 minutes on sprint (pushing as much as I can for that duration), and 1 minute Active Rest pedaling, for a good 6-8 bouts. I have Tabata again this evening.

soulmind

You will get to where you fucking love (at least I have, and I HATE cardio) tabata.  I have found that all other activities become easier to recover from after doing tabata.  Just be judicious with it.  It is recommended by some no more than three times a week (I've done more in the past without negative results) so if you get to the end of your week and you are completely wiped out listen to your body and stop or don't do it.  It is very taxing (as I'm sure you have found out).

Naomi Most

You will get to where you fucking love (at least I have, and I HATE cardio) tabata.  I have found that all other activities become easier to recover from after doing tabata.  Just be judicious with it.  It is recommended by some no more than three times a week (I've done more in the past without negative results) so if you get to the end of your week and you are completely wiped out listen to your body and stop or don't do it.  It is very taxing (as I'm sure you have found out).

I totally agree. When I was being really consistent with doing 2 Tabatas a day (it was just this weird little goal I set for myself 8 months ago), I got this kind of mischievous feeling going into them, like I was pulling a fast one on my own body. And I definitely noticed endurance and recovery-time improvements in every activity I did.I HAAAAate doing cardio. The thought of doing HIIT for longer than 12 minutes makes me cringe.  So I am always looking for ways to trick myself into doing a little more.Thanks everybody... I started this thread hoping I would be convinced to get back into Tabatas again, and it worked.  🙂

soulmind

One major thing I notice from doing tabata is that long rest periods between weight lifting sets seem to get annoying.  I have to force myself to wait two minutes between sets if I'm doing heavy weight.  I'm usually recovered after a minute of even the most grueling set of squats or leg presses.

Richard Schmitt

Honestly I use to hate cardio a long time ago when I couldn't run, ever since I got my endurance up and the ability to actually run correctly I don't mind doing cardio. I am trying to just stick with doing it three times a week only. I don't want to over doing something and not gain any muscle, granted in the mornings during the “fasted” time, I do Kiefer's HIIT Intervals from CBL, I do/try to do the 2 minutes sprint/1 minutes rest. I have to keep in my head that I need to keep pushing myself, I need to improve, I always need to improve. I use to go by minutes to see how long I need to go for, but I do bouts now, so I'll count out the bouts then look at the time and think that time flew pretty quick doing these. I can't do 12 minutes of HIIT, in order to “think” I did a good HIIT Workout, I have to do at least 20 minutes or more…yeah this means I'm gasping for air, and sweating like a I'm trying to fill a pool.

I find it almost impossible to do on anything besides the bike in the gym. Running fast on an incline seems to be a close second… I tried on stairmill but the machine doesn't change setting fast enough to be effective…Love HIIT of any kind, I don't have the time to do hours of cardio like I did when I was young. That and I don't have a treadmill anymore or a close track to do it in the morning like I used to.

Richard Schmitt

I find it almost impossible to do on anything besides the bike in the gym. Running fast on an incline seems to be a close second... I tried on stairmill but the machine doesn't change setting fast enough to be effective...Love HIIT of any kind, I don't have the time to do hours of cardio like I did when I was young. That and I don't have a treadmill anymore or a close track to do it in the morning like I used to.

Yeah ever since I finally tried the cycle bike, (referred to by Kiefer) I don't want to use anything else till I get back home. It honestly lets me go full force, and get a good cardio session in. I used to the elliptical all the time because I figured it was the best machine to use, but it ain't haha. The question I have for doing bouts, what is the best perscription for intervals? I know for SA the sprint has an estimated time up to 2 minutes, with a recommended 4 minutes of resting. so it was 4:2 split. I guess, but I feel I get a better session by doing 2:1, or 1:1/2 split. Something with short burst, all out force, with a short rest period. Almost like fartlek training.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'm fairly certain in Kiefer's latest interview he said (for accelerated fat loss) to do 4 minutes ON with a 2 minutes rest.  I've done a 2 minute on 1 minute off program and that can be pretty tough if you're trying to get your HR up to 90%+.

Richard Schmitt

I'm fairly certain in Kiefer's latest interview he said (for accelerated fat loss) to do 4 minutes ON with a 2 minutes rest.  I've done a 2 minute on 1 minute off program and that can be pretty tough if you're trying to get your HR up to 90%+.

Yes sir, after I listened to the interview, I tried to do the 4 minutes sprint...I could barely get past two minutes with sprinting...it is honestly really difficult, but I found I do enjoy Tabata, along with the 2 minute sprint/1 minute rest

Damon Amato
    Participant

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/pulse/201112/unbelievable-4-minute-cardio-workoutgood examples of different ways to do the Tabata protocol, especially at home without weights or cardio equipment.

sckiely
    Participant

I like to alternate between KB swings and battling ropes for Tabata sessions, or burpees and boxing, these 2 variations bugger me. Anyone else use Battling ropes?

Damon Amato
    Participant

I wish.  Never been to a gym that has them.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tabata Only?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?