Tempo intervals vs Steady State

• This topic has 2 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Just wondering if Tempo intervals of 12-15 seconds at 75% of max effort with 60 seconds or rest or heart rate coming back to 130 beats per minute, which ever comes first, with 12-20 sets has all the upsides of steady state cardio without the downsides?The downsides from doing steady state cardio a few times per week or more being lowering metabolism for women, possibly lowering testosterone in men and losing muscle.Sprinters do these tempo intervals for better recovery and work capacity for doing their other training and races.Does anybody know if tempo intervals have a different effect to jogging and similar?

It depends on many factors. Check out some of Alex Viada's stuff.You can actually train LSD and be fine, but it does require thoughtful programming to both the strength work and the endurance work.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Yea, had a look at his stuff there.Very interesting indeed.  There are definitely ways to use both.  I'd have similar ideas to him, but I'd be a bit more wary of steady state as well.  Another interesting fella is Brian MacKensie, who trains ultra marathon runners with 4 intervals (generally two leg and two rowing) and one steady state run per week.Keifer does not like steady state.  I reckon it is pretty much okay for men health and physique wise so long it is not over done and you are also doing resistance training. It seems to be a bit different for women though.  My sister loves jogging.  You'd wonder what a girl could do regarding lower intensity without destroying her metabolism.Again, maybe it is just a case of it being part of a program rather than the main focus.  Like if you had half the cardio as intervals, half steady state and also with resistance training.  Or maybe mostly intervals, resistance training and one steady state per week.

Yea, had a look at his stuff there.Very interesting indeed.  There are definitely ways to use both.  I'd have similar ideas to him, but I'd be a bit more wary of steady state as well.  Another interesting fella is Brian MacKensie, who trains ultra marathon runners with 4 intervals (generally two leg and two rowing) and one steady state run per week.Keifer does not like steady state.  I reckon it is pretty much okay for men health and physique wise so long it is not over done and you are also doing resistance training. It seems to be a bit different for women though.  My sister loves jogging.  You'd wonder what a girl could do regarding lower intensity without destroying her metabolism.Again, maybe it is just a case of it being part of a program rather than the main focus.  Like if you had half the cardio as intervals, half steady state and also with resistance training.  Or maybe mostly intervals, resistance training and one steady state per week.

Girls can do LSD stuff as well, assuming they prioritize resistance training and don't significantly under eat.The problem you see, and one reason you see it largely in women is they run, and that's it. They only ever run in the moderate intensity zone, and they dont have any intensity training in intervals or weight training. 1-2 jogs a week would be fine if it's a long side some hard intervals and some hard resistance training.

Brian Timlin
    Participant

Girls can do LSD stuff as well, assuming they prioritize resistance training and don't significantly under eat.The problem you see, and one reason you see it largely in women is they run, and that's it. They only ever run in the moderate intensity zone, and they dont have any intensity training in intervals or weight training. 1-2 jogs a week would be fine if it's a long side some hard intervals and some hard resistance training.

Yea, sounds good.One other thing I find interesting is how athletes that need to also be explosive or exclusively explosive try to stay away from steady state and use tempo intervals instead.It's like steady state is the devil with regards speed, and maybe they know that by experience.  What do you think about that?There's this soccer player called Gareth Bale who plays for Real Madrid.  He was a cross country champion aged 15 while he was also playing soccer.  Then he turned pro at soccer and stopped running.  They used to question his speed for a couple of years after that, which seems unbelievably now if you see how he runs.The last few years he has become known as the guy who can run at the highest speed for the longest amount of time.  It led to the biggest transfer in soccer history.  He's very hard to live with, lightning fast, has a 6th gear over everyone else when it seems even other fast players have hit top speed, and never gasses out.It raises questions about a mixture of development being best, but also how to get it.He probably changed over to intervals and sprint work exclusively to get this way with very little to no steady state.  He's also probably a bit of freak as well, who would do well in any athletic sport, but regardless his training changed him a lot.Would you say for endurance plus explosive athletes to do any steady state or to just do tempo or lighter intervals, Vo2 max intervals and play the sport (which in the case of soccer is many intervals for 90 minutes)?Maybe the once or twice a week steady state is a good idea again, but many speed athletes are mortally afraid of it slowing them down.  Warranted or not?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tempo intervals vs Steady State

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?