The Dumbest Nutrition or Training Advice You Ever Heard

• This topic has 19 voices and 75 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's not even that, does anybody realize how hard someone like Iris Kyle would have to work to acheive that physique?  Even if you have the genetics and the drugs, you would have to work very hard, much harder than some model or actress does on their physiques, to look like that.  Why do people think getting big and muscular is easy.  It's not it's really hard and in comparison, getting the "toned look" is easy.

Totally.  I was not ragging on Iris, as I have a lot of respect for what she does.  Her nutrient timing, weight training, etc. are TOP of the game... esp. considering she is a reigning Ms. Olympia!You're preaching to the chior, Bob.  🙂Cory

I think it is because most people don't find big and muscular attractive (like bodybuilder big) so subconciously they think that the more attractive the physique, the harder it is to maintain.  Really the exact opposite is true.  Being built like a body builder and in a way, being ridiculously obese or skinny are harder to maintain.  Imagine if there was a sport like bodybuilding, but the whole point was who could be the fattest.  Becoming a 1,000 lb fat ass would actually be extremely difficult.  Imagine the amount of food it would take and the mental discipline it would take to not move.  It sounds goofy, but it would not be an easy task.

Big_R
    Participant

Uh, my purse weighs more than 3 lbs, and I would bet most women's purses do too. What a crock of shit.

What a lot of people fail to tell women in mainstream media, is that to look like Iris Kyle, for instance, women don't just need heavy weights and food, they need to use steady cycles of premium gear from a doctor writing scripts 'under the table'.Cory

It's not even that, does anybody realize how hard someone like Iris Kyle would have to work to acheive that physique?  Even if you have the genetics and the drugs, you would have to work very hard, much harder than some model or actress does on their physiques, to look like that.  Why do people think getting big and muscular is easy.  It's not it's really hard and in comparison, getting the "toned look" is easy.

+1, I have talked to all kinds of pencil-neck geeks who have the physique of Gumby and they are first starting out lifting weights and of course the first thing they say:  "i don't wanna get TOO big".... and my response is "Ohhhh trust meee.......  YOU WONT"    lol.... can't count how many times i've said that to people's face.  LOL  They have no idea how much hard work, research, trial and error goes into performance training.  I don't knock people too much because at one point I think we have all been there, but still... if i was talking to jay cutler i wouldn't be saying "now Jay, i don't wanna get TOO big"  LOL

i can think of something that weighs more  than 3 pounds      ;D  haha

Indeed.  LOL.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Uh, my purse weighs more than 3 lbs, and I would bet most women's purses do too. What a crock of shit.

What a lot of people fail to tell women in mainstream media, is that to look like Iris Kyle, for instance, women don't just need heavy weights and food, they need to use steady cycles of premium gear from a doctor writing scripts 'under the table'.Cory

+1, I have talked to all kinds of pencil-neck geeks who have the physique of Gumby and they are first starting out lifting weights and of course the first thing they say:  "i don't wanna get TOO big".... and my response is "Ohhhh trust meee.......  YOU WONT"    lol.... can't count how many times i've said that to people's face.  LOL  They have no idea how much hard work, research, trial and error goes into performance training.  I don't knock people too much because at one point I think we have all been there, but still... if i was talking to jay cutler i wouldn't be saying "now Jay, i don't wanna get TOO big"  LOL

The funny thing is I am trying to get huge.  I want to be a freak and I am busting my ass to do so, but I am stuck with physique most people want.  So that just goes to show.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to be toned and athletic, but the way train to look like that is the same way you train to get big.  You just stopt trying to progress when you are happy with your physique.

I think it is because most people don't find big and muscular attractive (like bodybuilder big) so subconciously they think that the more attractive the physique, the harder it is to maintain.  Really the exact opposite is true.  Being built like a body builder and in a way, being ridiculously obese or skinny are harder to maintain.  Imagine if there was a sport like bodybuilding, but the whole point was who could be the fattest.  Becoming a 1,000 lb fat ass would actually be extremely difficult.  Imagine the amount of food it would take and the mental discipline it would take to not move.  It sounds goofy, but it would not be an easy task.

I agree.  That said, I think a lot of people feel that some fitness models / physique competitors are too big.  Basically, anything larger than Brad Pitt in Fight Club (who wasn't big, just defined) shocks most people, and they instantly assume steroid use.People forget that BEFORE steroids became popular in the 60s, men like Steve Reeves, Reg Park, Clancy Ross and John Grimek had INCREDIBLE natural physiques!!!  People tend to blame hard work on steroids b/c they lack the drive to get there themselves.Cory

+1This isn't just a physical game, it is mental one as well.  Remember, Arnold used to believe his biceps to be "mountains" while he trained them... that mental connection, and belief, is important.If those 'pencil necks' don't believe in themselves, no matter how hard they think they're working, it'll never be enough.  Going through the motions will do very little.Cory

Jonathan H Blough
    Participant

You can always rely on gov't agencies to come up with dumb advice. Like this for example…

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

If you eat like the food pyramid, you'll look like the food pyramid.  :-[

Big_R
    Participant

The funny thing is I am trying to get huge.  I want to be a freak and I am busting my ass to do so, but I am stuck with physique most people want.  So that just goes to show.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to be toned and athletic, but the way train to look like that is the same way you train to get big.  You just stopt trying to progress when you are happy with your physique.

You are so right.  I realized that if you are never satisfied then you can always find something to pick at or be unhappy with,  the problem is (which im sure you get every time you are out in public) is that everyone else will tell you how awesome you look and it's really hard to not indulge in that... It's like people actually become a problem for me.  Its hard to stay humble that's for sure.  That's my take anywayedit:  this actually makes me remember a conversation i had with my wife.  What she said to me when i was talking about my goals was "well,  you already look like everyone else WANTS to look" and she didn't really comprehend beyond that.  She was blown away when i said i was soo far away from what i wanted to look like and that i had many years to go before i get there.  She just couldn't believe that.  Luckily she supports everything i do and doesn't mind The G.I. problems either  lol!

Fairy

It's okay to be happy with your body guys 🙂 you can be happy with it and still work on improving it

Big_R
    Participant

It's okay to be happy with your body guys 🙂 you can be happy with it and still work on improving it

yeah to a degree... but that's the main reason we are here, because we are NOT satisfied and want to look like superhero's  Lol -  plus if you have strength/performance goals that's a whole different beast.    In my opinion, you can get too big... but you can never get too strong!

yeah to a degree... but that's the main reason we are here, because we are NOT satisfied and want to look like superhero's  Lol -  plus if you have strength/performance goals that's a whole different beast.    In my opinion, you can get too big... but you can never get too strong!

Are you saying Ronnie Coleman ain't pretty no more?  LOL.Nah, I hear you.  Everyone should try to be the best version of themselves as they can, however they see that version of themselves.I remember when I wanted to look like Jean Claude Van Damme (late 80s JCVD) or Christian Bale (in American Psycho), now I aim for Michael Jai White.  After I reach his physique, who knows.  I can always be better, bigger (within reason), more aesthetic, and of course, like you said... stronger!Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Oh don't get me wrong, I am very proud of how I look and I think I look fantastic, but I just can't stop because I enjoy it too much.  I want more just like how a billionaire wants to make even more money.

Big_R
    Participant

Are you saying Ronnie Coleman ain't pretty no more?  LOL.Nah, I hear you.  Everyone should try to be the best version of themselves as they can, however they see that version of themselves.I remember when I wanted to look like Jean Claude Van Damme (late 80s JCVD) or Christian Bale (in American Psycho), now I aim for Michael Jai White.  After I reach his physique, who knows.  I can always be better, bigger (within reason), more aesthetic, and of course, like you said... stronger!Cory

Are you heavily involved in Martial Arts?  I had a buddy who is pretty good in taekwondo, but he's a little large and he always walking in complaining about his joints hurting... I would think being bigger has a few disadvantages no?

Are you heavily involved in Martial Arts?  I had a buddy who is pretty good in taekwondo, but he's a little large and he always walking in complaining about his joints hurting... I would think being bigger has a few disadvantages no?

Yes.  I have been in the martial arts since I was 8.  All Japanese forms:  Okinawan Karate, Budo Taijutsu and Kyokushin Karate (full-contact / hard).  With Kyokushin, I compete in full-contact tournaments, with no padding (just mouth piece, MMA-style gloves and shin-guards).I have no issues with being larger, though, I don't plan on getting much beyond 215 lbs. max (@ 8-10% bodyfat).  At my height, I can hold extra muscle easier than a shorter dude (I am 6 feet).  Never lost a tournament fight yet.  Hasn't affected my punches or kicks (including the higher kicks and fancy shit).  I may not be the fastest guy, but I have a high pain tolerance, a lot of power and a controlled rage on my opponents.Other examples:  Michael Jai White is versed in 7 different martial arts (including Kyokushin), and knows he cannot go above 210 lbs. before it affects his speed, etc.  That said, Jai White is slightly shorter than I am.  Another Kyokushin is Dolph Lundgren, and he was pretty big for Rocky IV.I think the size thing in martial arts is very person-specific, and also a bit over-stated in general.Cory

…oh, and to add:Flex Wheeler was a kickboxer, and he was doing fancy shit at Olympia size.  8)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Dumbest Nutrition or Training Advice You Ever Heard

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?