The Dumbest Nutrition or Training Advice You Ever Heard

• This topic has 19 voices and 75 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author

Big_R
    Participant

Are you heavily involved in Martial Arts?  I had a buddy who is pretty good in taekwondo, but he's a little large and he always walking in complaining about his joints hurting... I would think being bigger has a few disadvantages no?

Yes.  I have been in the martial arts since I was 8.  All Japanese forms:  Okinawan Karate, Budo Taijutsu and Kyokushin Karate (full-contact / hard).  With Kyokushin, I compete in full-contact tournaments, with no padding (just mouth piece, MMA-style gloves and shin-guards).I have no issues with being larger, though, I don't plan on getting much beyond 215 lbs. max (@ 8-10% bodyfat).  At my height, I can hold extra muscle easier than a shorter dude (I am 6 feet).  Never lost a tournament fight yet.  Hasn't affected my punches or kicks (including the higher kicks and fancy shit).  I may not be the fastest guy, but I have a high pain tolerance, a lot of power and a controlled rage on my opponents.Other examples:  Michael Jai White is versed in 7 different martial arts (including Kyokushin), and knows he cannot go above 210 lbs. before it affects his speed, etc.  That said, Jai White is slightly shorter than I am.  Another Kyokushin is Dolph Lundgren, and he was pretty big for Rocky IV.I think the size thing in martial arts is very person-specific, and also a bit over-stated in general.Cory

well i will just go ahead and say i know diddly-poo about martial arts but def have much much respect for all forms.  Everything in life to me is person-specific but figured i would see if you knew about the joint problems or know ppl that are larger martial artists who have been down that road.    i mean this guy i'm referring to is about 5'10 and weighs about 215, claims to be 13% ***cough  Bullshit** but he mentioned he was trying to do a 720 roundhouse and came in the following day complaining about his joints hurting in the leg/knees area.  He is already late 30's  (i think 37/8) so that prob plays a factor but... i figure swinging weight around like that is hard on the body.... for him at least

well i will just go ahead and say i know diddly-poo about martial arts but def have much much respect for all forms.  Everything in life to me is person-specific but figured i would see if you knew about the joint problems or know ppl that are larger martial artists who have been down that road.    i mean this guy i'm referring to is about 5'10 and weighs about 215, claims to be 13% ***cough  Bullshit** but he mentioned he was trying to do a 720 roundhouse and came in the following day complaining about his joints hurting in the leg/knees area.  He is already late 30's  (i think 37/8) so that prob plays a factor but... i figure swinging weight around like that is hard on the body.... for him at least

For me, the 360-degree back spinning kick (known as a Ushiro Mawashi Geri in Karate) requires a degree of controllable momentum from the ball of the standing foot (you definitely commit to the movement -- which is why it can also be easily countered if you see it coming), but it shouldn't cause any joint discomfort.  At least, I've never experienced any issues when using that technique (though, in actual fighting, I don't personally care for it... I have my own signature preferences like Hook Kicks and Axe Kicks).That said, practicing any martial art, over time, definitely takes its toll on joints IF you are practicing on opponents or pads... i.e., with resistance.  Each time you strike something or someone, shock waves ripple through your body, and especially through the joints near the impact.  Does your friend supplement w/ joint products?  I use Glucosamine and Cissus Quadrangularis, as do a lot of my fellow fighters... works wonders.Cory

Big_R
    Participant

For me, the 360-degree back spinning kick (known as a Ushiro Mawashi Geri in Karate) requires a degree of controllable momentum from the ball of the standing foot (you definitely commit to the movement -- which is why it can also be easily countered if you see it coming), but it shouldn't cause any joint discomfort.  At least, I've never experienced any issues when using that technique (though, in actual fighting, I don't personally care for it... I have my own signature preferences like Hook Kicks and Axe Kicks).That said, practicing any martial art, over time, definitely takes its toll on joints IF you are practicing on opponents or pads... i.e., with resistance.  Each time you strike something or someone, shock waves ripple through your body, and especially through the joints near the impact.  Does your friend supplement w/ joint products?  I use Glucosamine and Cissus Quadrangularis, as do a lot of my fellow fighters... works wonders.Cory

my bad it was a 540 kick... he was doing some demo for their Dojo to attact people.  The thing is he takes Glucosamine and CQ but i notice this dude is AWLAYS limping or something is bothering him.  I told him that cutting back on heavy resistance training is prob a good idea (i.e.squatting 405 on Friday evening then sparring for hours on saturday morning prob taxing him pretty good).    I think he thinks he is 18 again because he gave it up for like 10 years and just came back to it at 34 / 35 -  I just see him getting injured if he keeps it up;  don't think he realizes he comes in limping every day  lol. 

my bad it was a 540 kick... he was doing some demo for their Dojo to attact people.  The thing is he takes Glucosamine and CQ but i notice this dude is AWLAYS limping or something is bothering him.  I told him that cutting back on heavy resistance training is prob a good idea (i.e.squatting 405 on Friday evening then sparring for hours on saturday morning prob taxing him pretty good).    I think he thinks he is 18 again because he gave it up for like 10 years and just came back to it at 34 / 35 -  I just see him getting injured if he keeps it up;  don't think he realizes he comes in limping every day  lol.

Yeah, people love flashy spinning kicks.  LOL.  It is definitely a crowd pleaser when winning a fight, IF you can score a knockout with something fancy.  In my opinion, though, spin kicks are best used in a combination, where you can hide the foot planting and initial movement from your opponent, by masking it with strikes or fakes.  That is why I love Hook Kicks... they have the effectiveness of the finish to a spinning back kick, but they don't require the actual spin (less chance for counter).  They also set up like a fake, but come back across your opponent's head.Martial arts are beautiful, and fighting is like a game of Chess... a lot of strategy, not just beatdown.Anyhow... it could be his age (he is nearly 40), or pre-existing issues being exaccerbated... he should be training wisely for his body, if he wants to keep training that is.  No offense to him, of course.Cory

miku

I'll play…I was told by a physio that I should do pilates because exercices like squatting don't work my "core". Not that I have any issues with said "core" - gosh I hate this word, just like "tone".Anyway, the same physio also exclaimed earlier during the session, when I said that I weight-train: "Oh, so you use steroids?" Hmmm... Right...Needless to say, I didn't use her services after that. And these people have qualifications in sports science and such. I despair...

Fairy

Anyway, the same physio also exclaimed earlier during the session, when I said that I weight-train: "Oh, so you use steroids?" Hmmm... Right...Needless to say, I didn't use her services after that. And these people have qualifications in sports science and such. I despair...

No way!I have no idea what they learn in college. A friend of mine just finished a three year degree in Chemical Biology. Yesterday she asked me if fruit has carbohydrates in it.

I'll play...I was told by a physio that I should do pilates because exercices like squatting don't work my "core". Not that I have any issues with said "core" - gosh I hate this word, just like "tone".Anyway, the same physio also exclaimed earlier during the session, when I said that I weight-train: "Oh, so you use steroids?" Hmmm... Right...Needless to say, I didn't use her services after that. And these people have qualifications in sports science and such. I despair...

+1The bulk of personal trainers I run into are horrid, and have no broad applicational understanding of their 2nd-hand knowledge outside of their textbooks.  They forget that every person is different, with diff. physical needs.As for steroids... everyone assumes that anyone with considerable muscle uses gear, b/c it seems no one is willing to put out the effort to try without enhancement, so they give up, b/c it is too hard, and blame steroids for those who are impressive physical specimens (instantly).  Welcome to the quick-fix generation.  So very sad.  I guess gone are the days when men fought to build empires (even metaphorically).Cory

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'll play...I was told by a physio that I should do pilates because exercices like squatting don't work my "core". Not that I have any issues with said "core" - gosh I hate this word, just like "tone".Anyway, the same physio also exclaimed earlier during the session, when I said that I weight-train: "Oh, so you use steroids?" Hmmm... Right...Needless to say, I didn't use her services after that. And these people have qualifications in sports science and such. I despair...

+1The bulk of personal trainers I run into are horrid, and have no broad applicational understanding of their 2nd-hand knowledge outside of their textbooks.  They forget that every person is different, with diff. physical needs.As for steroids... everyone assumes that anyone with considerable muscle uses gear, b/c it seems no one is willing to put out the effort to try without enhancement, so they give up, b/c it is too hard, and blame steroids for those who are impressive physical specimens (instantly).  Welcome to the quick-fix generation.  So very sad.  I guess gone are the days when men fought to build empires (even metaphorically).Cory

Intelligent people don't become trainers, it is a joke of a major in college so it attracts dumb people.

Intelligent people don't become trainers, it is a joke of a major in college so it attracts dumb people.

My college was sort of single-minded (fine art university), so we never had that major (thank fuck) to begin with.I had a trainer, in one of my local gyms, once give me some BAD unsolicited advice while I was Squatting, he said to me:  "Turn your feet like this [ shows me foot placement ] while doing Squats, because you are doing them incorrectly."I said: "Thanks.  Have any more advice that will cause me injuries?"  (I'm sarcastic like that.)The trainer quickly made himself scarce.  The foot placement he was showing me was incorrect for my anatomy, had I done that, I'd have caused myself undue joint stress, pain and potential injury.  Plus, I was much bigger than this guy.Which brings me to something I find really laughable... out-of-shape personal trainers.  Doesn't it occur to people that their trainer clearly doesn't practice what they preach?  Perhaps find someone who does... even if they don't have a certificate.Cory

Damon Amato
    Participant

Dude, at the club I work at, there are 7 personal trainers. Exactly one is in good shape and his claim to fame is teaching a safari dance class to melt away body fat.

Dude, at the club I work at, there are 7 personal trainers. Exactly one is in good shape and his claim to fame is teaching a safari dance class to melt away body fat.

LOL @ Safari Dance to melt away fat.  I thought I had heard it all.Cory

Saturated fat and dietary cholesterol lead to heart disease.  Eating breakfast is the key to a healthy metabolism.  "White ain't right" so stick to brown rice, brown sugar, whole wheat bread, etc.

i only eat maybe 4 to 5 whole eggs a day at most but it still freaks out people because of how much cholesterol is in an egg. i dont even bother explaining my diet anymore to people.I tried to convince a friend to try CBl. He wont do it. Says that since he used to be real overweight that he is way more likely to gain fat than i am. I don't think it works that way.

Actually that is true. Take two people who are at the same weight, one naturally and one dieted down, and the one who dieted down will have a lower daily caloric expenditure than the one who did not. So in a way, he's right. In the end it comes down to a variety of factors, diet included.

I know this sadly to be true I lost about 25% bodyfat 4 years ago and have been trying to get the last bit off the abs some other trouble areas, I've gotten extremely lean but was just tiny looking and couldn't fill out a medium. So now the goal is to be 200 with a six pack. But what I've found is that I can go off track on vacations with friends and eat pretty much the same way they do which is no the norm for my usual routine and by the weeks end I've blown up and can literally feel the fat tissue grow/swell. Now I know a lot is bloat but I also know I can gain 20lbs in a weekend! And my friends who are eating/drinking with but never been overweight won't gain much at all. So once your large I'm sorry to say your ability to get large again is quite easy unfortunately this is in my experience! Worst advice you have to wake up in the middle of the night to pound a protein shake or your muscle will waste away

McLeod2012

I used to train at a YMCA before I moved to college and they just recently got a new CEO who is big into crossfit. He was talking about making changes in the weight room and someone suggested a hack squat but he refused because he said they were bad for your knees… So he resulted in ANOTHER smith machine.

great thread

BenjaminD

'Eat Less, Exercise More'My blood boils every time I hear this 🙁[/quoteI think this is appropriate information for the average individual. For people with active lifestyle (like the majority of DH'ers), however, I agree that this information is pretty much useless.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Dumbest Nutrition or Training Advice You Ever Heard

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?