The Exercise Graveyard – Behind The Neck Presses

• This topic has 4 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Gnomer
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqd9FGAC0owjust found his channel recently but enjoy his videos.

Gl;itch.e

Cant watch this at work. Is he arguing the benefits of this exercise performed safely by any chance?

Gnomer
    Participant

Cant watch this at work. Is he arguing the benefits of this exercise performed safely by any chance?

no he argues that there is no reason to do it whatsoever

Gl;itch.e

no he argues that there is no reason to do it whatsoever

Tell that to Ed Coan! (; I have tried these from time to time but find a High Incline Press in front of the head works just as well without the discomfort or potential drawbacks.

Gnomer
    Participant

i know many people like it but this guy brings up a good argument on why there really is no reason to do it..

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I'm sorry I couldn't make it past four minutes.  This guy clearly does not understand torque and stability.  He argues that the Behind the Neck Press is dangerous because it involves “extreme external rotation of the shoulder”.  If he took the time to understand how to overhead press properly, the goal is to externally rotate your shoulders as much as possible.  This is what keeps the load stable and is precisely what the S&C cue of “pull the bar apart” means.  One of the best ways to teach people this is by having them do BTN presses.He does bring up some good points about the dangers of damaging the rotator cuff, but that can be said about any pressing exercise.  However, many people (especially powerlifters who bench a lot such as myself) actually find BTN presses to be therapeutic.  Also the more externally rotated the shoulders are, the more the front delts are activated.  That is why the BTN press (and DB OHP) scores higher on front delt activation than the standard overhead press as is shown here:  http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/inside_the_muscles_best_shoulders_and_trap_exercises;jsessionid=0A6CCE22FAE42D396B5F333A7350762E-he.hydra

Gnomer
    Participant

he gets more into other things later in the video.. worth watching all the way through but doubt it will change anyone's mind who already does the move

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

he gets more into other things later in the video.. worth watching all the way through but doubt it will change anyone's mind who already does the move

I'll watch the rest of it some other time.  Look, you can find a fault in any exercise.  Unless it is a competition exercise of your sport, there is no reason to do any exercise.

Gnomer
    Participant

I'll watch the rest of it some other time.  Look, you can find a fault in any exercise.  Unless it is a competition exercise of your sport, there is no reason to do any exercise.

true but when there is a perfectly good or even better alternative with less risks seems silly to take the risk imho

TCB
    Participant

I'm sorry I couldn't make it past four minutes.  This guy clearly does not understand torque and stability.  He argues that the Behind the Neck Press is dangerous because it involves "extreme external rotation of the shoulder".  If he took the time to understand how to overhead press properly, the goal is to externally rotate your shoulders as much as possible.  This is what keeps the load stable and is precisely what the S&C cue of "pull the bar apart" means.  One of the best ways to teach people this is by having them do BTN presses.He does bring up some good points about the dangers of damaging the rotator cuff, but that can be said about any pressing exercise.  However, many people (especially powerlifters who bench a lot such as myself) actually find BTN presses to be therapeutic.  Also the more externally rotated the shoulders are, the more the front delts are activated.  That is why the BTN press (and DB OHP) scores higher on front delt activation than the standard overhead press as is shown here:  http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/inside_the_muscles_best_shoulders_and_trap_exercises;jsessionid=0A6CCE22FAE42D396B5F333A7350762E-he.hydra

I think I made it to about 7 minutes. I originally clicked it because I thought the premise was that he was going to be discussing exercises that have been relegated to the graveyard that should be revived, ha.When he started talking about the external rotation thing, the first thing that popped into my head was a Kelly Starrett video where he talked about taking your grip a little bit wider on BB presses in order to get a little more external rotation for shoulder stability.Same thing with squatting, creating external rotation and torque in the hip provides stability.

Gnomer
    Participant

for me the most interesting part is the talk about what the behind the neck press actually works the most compared to what people normally use it for not so much about the external rotation stuff..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Exercise Graveyard – Behind The Neck Presses

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?