Took 4 minutes off my 2.5 mile run???

• This topic has 5 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

raisethebarbell
    Keymaster

I am not sure what to think right now, I'm confused actually. I am a newbie to low carb performance so…I just ran my 2.5 mile loop through my neighborhood in 23 minutes and 10 seconds. Not blistering at all I know, but it is 4 minutes faster than my previous attempt that I made before I started CNS.I've been on CNS for 5 weeks now, doing Shockwave regularly, and hill sprints when I can.I know it's taboo to do steady state cardio, but I wanted to see what would happen. I have felt the Hulk Factor while lifting about 4 times now, and love it! But to be honest I didn't expect that to translate into bettering my time by 4 minutes on my first try.So many things are running through my head right now, how did I not know this before, do all athletes feel this way when they run, why am I not breathing hard, why am I not all phlegmy and coughing, and on and on.I am almost pissed that I didn't know all this was possible sooner in my life.If anyone is reading this and wondering if they should start any of these protocols, if they can still perform on 8 grams of carbs (how much I had all day before my run) please know that it is possible. The energy levels feel different than when on carbs, much more sustained and even, much more reliable, if that makes sense. I'm still trying to figure it out, could I have pushed more, where is my new breaking point. Its unreal!Anyways thanks to Kiefer, Naomi and all the regulars on these boards. I am ecstatic.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Well you lost weight from the diet and probably improved cardiovascular function from the HIIT so it isn't that surprising. 

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

I went from a 7:55 mile average to a 6:50 average over a 2.7 mile run.  Same feelings.  Love it

raisethebarbell

Well you lost weight from the diet and probably improved cardiovascular function from the HIIT so it isn't that surprising.

I attribute most of it to the lack of carbs as my cardio health has stayed pretty consistant. The biggest changed variable for me has been getting the carbs out. But yeah you are right I am down weight, and probably a bit stronger. Feels great for sure.

Richard Schmitt

Hey either way congrats manSent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

raisethebarbell

I went from a 7:55 mile average to a 6:50 average over a 2.7 mile run.  Same feelings.  Love it

Smokin times bro, nice! I won't be working towards those times intentionally, as I do want to stay on the hiit for all the good reasons.  But I think that when I do pull the trigger every now and then on the 2.5mile run, I will see better and better times.Have you ever front loaded the carbs before your run, now that you are carb free for the most part? I'm wondering how that would feel now that we are on these protocols.

Kiefer
    Participant

This is pretty common and the running community is only now learning about the phenomenon. One of the first athletes I used Carb Nite with outside of stage prep, was a marathon runner. Her best time for a marathon previous to working with me was over 5 hours and she needed a constant supply of food (gu gel packs were her favorite). Carb Nite had miraculous effects (plus the proper training). Here's why:1) When you strip carbs from the body, VO2max instantly increases.2) Training without carbs raises the anaerobic threshold by increasing mithochondria and muscle nuclei concentration (making muscle more oxidative).3) You train the body to shift to a predominately fat-oxidizing environment (enzyme shift).4) You increase muscle sensitivity to catecholamines (again, improving the muscles ability to utilize fatty acids).5) You increase glycogen storage by 100%.6) The body utilizes glycogen stores more effectively as an energy reserve rather than the primary energy source.When you put all these together, Carb Nite (with mods) is actually--and in my opinion and experience--an unbeatable endurance diet when you considered the substantial drop in training volume.Her time dropped to 4 hours and 15 minutes (approx) for her next marathon and she carried nothing but water. At the end, after 30 minutes recovering (again, with just water), she felt energized!So it's no mystery why stripping carbs instantly improves endurance and performance if you read the research. The only mystery is why endurance coaches haven't figured this out.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

This is pretty common and the running community is only now learning about the phenomenon. One of the first athletes I used Carb Nite with outside of stage prep, was a marathon runner. Her best time for a marathon previous to working with me was over 5 hours and she needed a constant supply of food (gu gel packs were her favorite). Carb Nite had miraculous effects (plus the proper training). Here's why:1) When you strip carbs from the body, VO2max instantly increases.2) Training without carbs raises the anaerobic threshold by increasing mithochondria and muscle nuclei concentration (making muscle more oxidative).3) You train the body to shift to a predominately fat-oxidizing environment (enzyme shift).4) You increase muscle sensitivity to catecholamines (again, improving the muscles ability to utilize fatty acids).5) You increase glycogen storage by 100%.6) The body utilizes glycogen stores more effectively as an energy reserve rather than the primary energy source.When you put all these together, Carb Nite (with mods) is actually--and in my opinion and experience--an unbeatable endurance diet when you considered the substantial drop in training volume.Her time dropped to 4 hours and 15 minutes (approx) for her next marathon and she carried nothing but water. At the end, after 30 minutes recovering (again, with just water), she felt energized!So it's no mystery why stripping carbs instantly improves endurance and performance if you read the research. The only mystery is why endurance coaches haven't figured this out.

That's pretty amazing.  I should probably tell my distance runner roomate about this.  Doubt he would ever do it though, he says eating a lot of meat slows him down and bacon makes him feel like crap, but I think it is all in his head.  Maybe if he saw a set protocol.Kiefer, do you have any ideas on what makes Kenyan distance runners so good?

raisethebarbell

Great stuff Kiefer, maybe another book in there somewhere for you, if you can stomach even thinking about cardio that much, lol@ibob, I bet your roomate would feel like crap, for the first few days to a week. I know I did during the prep phase, definite "keto flu" to deal with. But well worth it once you start feeling better again, and part of the "challenge" if you can sell it to him that way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Took 4 minutes off my 2.5 mile run???

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?