U.K or U.S?

• This topic has 11 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Freya
    Keymaster

Just curious….Where are most of this forums members located? U.S or U.K or other countries of the world?Where are you just now?Im Norwegian, but located in U.K  🙂

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

RagE and I are both Norwegian, and I must say you've made a good choice in leaving. I'm guessing you don't have snow right now..

Freya

Nope 🙂 But Im stuck on a remote island with no trees or mountains…. you can imagine the steady gusty ocean wind and regular rain showers 😉 Im not sure if I picked the best alternative haha

Freya

Hei Forresten  😀

UK here, but if I were a betting man I would say 90% US, with the odd Aussie thrown in for good measure.

RagE

The book gets a lot of its publicity through US magazines and media, so i would think most people on here are American.

CT

UK here.We should probably bunch together and document replacements we have found for all the american products that are recommended in the books.Still hoping that the software is released with everything measured in actual weights, not cups and tablespoons ;>

dmmethod

UK here.We should probably bunch together and document replacements we have found for all the american products that are recommended in the books.Still hoping that the software is released with everything measured in actual weights, not cups and tablespoons ;>

US here. I really wish we would switch to the metric system. It's a much more efficient way to measure. I just use an app on my phone to convert everything.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

US here. I really wish we would switch to the metric system. It's a much more efficient way to measure. I just use an app on my phone to convert everything.

A lot of Americans such as myself do not like the metric system because the base units are very difficult to conceptualize.  This is because they are based on scientific constants rather than things that a human can easily relate to.  For instance, the base unit for mass in the metric system is the gram, which is the mass of one mL of water at standard temperature and pressure.  It is such an impractial unit for everyday use, that the kilogram is actually much more than the gram.  This website is one of the exceptions. I like the metric system for science, but not for everyday use.  While the math is easier, it is just based on things you can't relate to as easily.And anyways do they all weight their ingredients before they cook in Europe?  A food scale is a common thing in kitchen?

CT

I like the metric system for science, but not for everyday use.  While the math is easier, it is just based on things you can't relate to as easily.

My post is directed at a controlled diet plan, not for making beans on toast(unless beans on toast was part of your diet).  At the end of the day we're all working in grams for our macros.  I don't work out my protein in cups or my carbs in tablespoons.  I weigh all of my ingredients that I ingest, because that's the way it's done on this or any other controlled diet.  I find it harder to relate 1 cup of anything to grams of protein/carbs/fats, which is what we're actually interested in.Have you ever tried cramming frozen veg into a container to work out what a cup of it is? It's way easier to weigh out 100g on a scale.

And anyways do they all weight their ingredients before they cook in Europe?  A food scale is a common thing in kitchen?

Yes. When was the last time you baked a cake, or made a curry or just a protein shake just by guessing? 😀

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Yes a scale is common, along with dL meters (or whatever they are called. Its like a big cup with measurements on it?). Measuring in volumes when cooking is probably more common, but everyone has a kitchen weight.Kilogram is actually the SI-unit, stupidly enough, and it's what we mostly use in everyday speech. I can't relate to any of the stuff you measure with, but I know that a packet of milk is 1kg (or close enough anyway), my drinking glass is about 1/4 liter (2,5 dL), and I can measure out a meter with my hands.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's quicker and more convenient to use the scoop the protein comes with.  Plus scales cost money.  While using the scoop isn't accurate as a scale, I don't think that it really matters.The meric system is fine, but I just think most of the units that are actually used are either too big or too small.  Obviously measuring in grams in more practical in nutrition.

acarnovale

I know there's a few Canadians on here as well.

Freya

Sounds like a good mix to me 🙂 I thought due to the books and forum creators (Please correct if Im wrong) are Americans that most of the users would be too…I prefer the metrics too, expecially when calculating nutritional needs and values. A cup or a tablespoon is easy to use but also misuse if you're on a strict diet 😉 That tablespoon measure suddenly got a huge back to it.... however its not that easy to fool the scale. it is what it is 🙂On the other hand cups and spoons are better when using different density food where the scale is useless.... 2 cups of spinach or 300grams.... which do you choose...

Bartleby83

I throw Germany in the mix.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

U.K or U.S?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?