Weekly Progression

• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

robhally

I wanted to start this thread to try an get clarification on the concept of progressing each week, for the elect sets in particular. Kiefer mentions that to progress from week to week one must increase weight, reps, or volume. So getting to the actual question, what would be the best way to progress in an exercise like curls where it is almost impossible to add five pounds on a weekly basis? Would the next logical step be to do the elect set as 5 mini sets of 4 reps instead of 3 with the same weight as the previous week? If not that, then what would you suggest?

all2prodigal

Progression doesn't have to come solely from increases in actual weights lifted. You could try and increase the number of reps per set by 1 with the same weight. However, I really prefer adding weight and keeping the reps constant. Using fractional plates help with the smaller exercises like curls or shoulder presses. I purchased a pair of 1.25 lb. fractional plates. There are even smaller ones that would help. For the newbie trainer, strength will come quick. Also, if you've never performed a specific exercise, gains in strength will also increase relatively quickly particular to the movement pattern. However, at some point, unless you are blessed with great genetics (not me), you have to fight for every extra pound added to each exercise. This progress could take some time. Frustration will play a role in your development and should be noted, then ignored. Don't let it beat you down. You have to fight it, even an ounce at a time. Weekly progression will be a reality for some. For most of us who have been lifting for years and years, I would be happy with a 10% increase in weight lifted per exercise annually. I think on backloading, strength will come quickly at first. We all have a ceiling though. Otherwise, everyone who works hard would be able to squat 1000 lbs. Also remember that we have our good and bad days in the gym. It's important not to overtax our CNS, or perform near maximal load lifts when we aren't fresh. I had to ditch a near max deadlift today b/c it was the day after a 24hr shift, where sleep was scarce. I wasn't happy, but gave the rest of the workout my all. Be conservatively aggressive. Proper form is more important in the end, though our egos may try to tell us otherwise!

Damon Amato
    Participant

nice post all2prodigal.

robhally

Thanks for the reply all2prodigal. I miss the newbie gains when I could add 5 or 10 pounds every week consistently. I may look into the fractional plates like you suggested or add an extra rep or two. I let my ego get the best of me with 5/3/1 and I was moving weights that were way too heavy for me with horrible form. I've switched to shockwave and backed my weights back down to focus more on form and making each rep count.

all2prodigal

Your welcome and much appreciated. The reason I like fractional plates is more psychological than anything else. There's something about lifting more weight progressively, even if it's only a pound or two that psyches you up. It's the inexorable pursuit of lifting pure poundage that drives us to outperform previous PR's. There is no one alive that hasn't sacrificed form over poundage at some point or another, unwittingly or not. In other words, we're all open or closeted meatheads that like to “lift things up and put them down.” At least we're smarter than the general public thinks…lol. I consider myself a dedicated lifter and a nerd and proud of it

sckiely
    Participant

I forgot about this thread but you guys may want to look at my post in Training on making progress! Personally i do not like fractional plates, i understand that progressive overload is important but there are more effective ways than going out and buying tiny little Plates! @RobHally it is most often better to start much too light and practice perfect technique, it is easy then to add weight session by session! When you hit a wall/ Plateau instead of trying to bust through the wall by using fractional plates, back off 10-15% and build back up session by session again! You can even back off more i personally like to back off 20-25% as it gives me a longer build up before peaking again! But this takes time to learn what works best for you!

all2prodigal

It's also better to continue with the same number of reps and weight until the scheme becomes easier (relatively speaking). Then and only then do you increase weight. Constantly training to failure, or trying to overcome sticking points, especially with heavy weight overtaxes the CNS, preventing you from full recovery. I was not speaking about “busting through plateaus,” but only to fight through the frustration of lack of progression. Some days you feel invincible, other days you don't. Listen to your body and it will guide you properly. I still really believe in hard work and fighting for every increase, but intelligently. My ego can handle an only 2.5lb increase on incline dumbbell curls, for instance or lateral raises. Sometimes it's the small battles that are worth fighting. But again, multiple roads to the same destination. I agree, find what works for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Weekly Progression

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?