Wendler’s 5/3/1

• This topic has 11 voices and 34 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

devilmanVISA

I ran 5/3/1 for 8 months straight with no changes, on the “big but boring” format no less (and it was BORING lol). But it worked very well.Regarding pull ups, do them in between all your other sets and at the tail end of your workout, until you reach a total of 50 reps. It isn't all about getting them done in a specific number of sets, just getting the work volume done will make you get stronger.

Sportspt

I ran it, but found out the low volume and minimalist approach was not enough for me. to each their own.

sawinwright

If any of you are bored of 5/3/1 but like it's layout, go try the Juggernaut Method, most describe it as 5/3/1 2.0

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

I ran 5/3/1 for 8 months straight with no changes, on the "big but boring" format no less (and it was BORING lol). But it worked very well.

What did you expect? its called boring but big lol. I did the triumvirate setup a while back and liked it 🙂

acarnovale

Just started the Boring But Big template myself with a squat workout. I haven't been this sore in my glutes, hams and quads in a long time.If strength is what you're looking for (it will also help with the aesthetic side of things) then 5/3/1 is an awesome way to go. Brutally simple and flexible to your needs, whatever they may be.

honestjbone

Yea I'm reading the 2nd edition now.  It's a great program thus far.  I've used it for 10 months. So far.  I like using the triumvirate protocol, I also just programmed the big assistance lifts into the program as well can't wait to start some stiff leg dl's and front squats.  5/3/1 is killer And is super simple.  I'm usually done training In 45 min and tired as fugk

Janasazi

During the deload week do you guys also decrease the volume and/or weight of the assistance exercises or do you find its better to keep that constant? I just started the program and I have a deload week coming up, Wendler doesn't mention what you should do about the assistance work during the deload week.

Hurley

During the deload week do you guys also decrease the volume and/or weight of the assistance exercises or do you find its better to keep that constant? I just started the program and I have a deload week coming up, Wendler doesn't mention what you should do about the assistance work during the deload week.

I don't the know the right answer, but I usually just decrease the weight and keep total reps on everything else the same.

sckiely
    Participant

I usually lower the volume on assistance work too, i didn't last time and i now have to take a break from it due to a pec strain. It's an unusual feeling too.So this is just my opinion, but deload them too. I have done cycles where my deload i did no assistance work. This actually felt the best afterwards but is very hard mentally as a whole workout takes 10mins. But the week after feels awesome. The other option i have used that felt good was using the bodyweight only template for my Deload week. This is the one i returned to most as it gave me a good rest from the barbell but kept me feeling i had still trained hard?

Janasazi

Thanks Hurley and Sckiely, I think I will either lower the volume on the assistance work or do none at all. I'm doing the assistance work from Dave Tate's “Periodization Bible” where you do 5 sets of 10-20 reps and that really takes a toll on you at the end of the workout. I think the best way to go would probably be to take a break from going balls out on the assitance exercises as well. Have you guys ever read Nick Nilsson's "Mad Scientist Muscle" and his idea of controlled overtraining? Basically, Nilsson's strategy is to train really hardcore with high volume for 3-4 weeks and then just as you've gone a little bit past overtraining you back off the volume and since your body is still revving from having to recover from all that previous workload you should see some muscle growth during this period. Wendler's 5/3/1 program is very similar to his program but not nearly as insane. Overall though, Wendler's program is amazingly rewarding. There's no better feeling than taking a heavy ass weight that you think you can only handle for 5 reps and then end up cranking out like 8 or 9 reps with it 😛

Nman
    Participant

5/3/1 is a great program and I think goes great with CBL just really focus on the concentric part of the lift.  But like some of the others have said, I'd just go buy the book.  You can piece stuff together and get an idea but the book really lays it out.  Same goes for CBL you can kinda figure it out but the book IS AWESOME and well worth the $$.  I like supporting individuals and their endeavors.

RagE

5/3/1 is great for strength. I don't know anyone who has done it, who has not gotten results.  I did the triumvirate, and got good results, but holy hades it got boring!  It has some great information and is it is definitely worth the 20$! I still use much of the ideas and knowledge in the book, even if i don't use the program.

sckiely
    Participant

I agree here! Even if someone just used the 5/3/1 template for the first lift of their workout and then went about their normal workout, be it bodybuilding, sport specific workouts, whatever? They would still get rewarded!Wendler provides a template that is very versatile. Go in do the main lift and then do accessory work! Use his accessory ideas or make it up. It works either way!A suggested idea for CNS is do the "i'm doing jack shit template" go in, do the main lift and then leave. Do some HIIT on other days! Good CNS set up.

JoeyWaters

I have been doing it for three years now and I have tried several different assistance work styles, as well as 3 and 4 days per week.  I can honestly say that the most important part of the program is the main lift.  Once I started to understand this, the accessory work became less important and I started to make much better gains. I am doing less accessory work now than I ever have, and my strength is doing well because of it.  I can't say much for size, as I have been dieting for the last 12 weeks via carb-cycling.I have also been getting all 4 main lifts in every week, either from training 4 days a week or combining the military press/deadlift days.  I used to do 3 days a week, so each main lift would repeat every 9-10 days.  This approach didn't do much for me.  I will be switching to a density bulk shortly, so I am anxious to see how my minimalist approach works in the size department. 

SchilleroStrength

I whole-heartedly agree with everyone giving the advice to “get the book”.. 5/3/1 is an awesome program that works when you follow the programs principles, the people I have seen unhappy with the protocol are the people who have overcomplicated it or made a bunch of changes.  Whatever you do, stick to the principles he outlines.. start too light, progress slowly, and stay patient.Best of luck to you!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Wendler’s 5/3/1

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?