Westside

• This topic has 6 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Does anyone else here use the Westside Barbell training method? We have used it for years and I think it fits perfectly with the necessary training to effectively CBL.

Naomi Most

Funny I was JUST reading this article on Overcoming Plateaus.http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls20.htmTheir stuff resonates with me.

Hurley

Every time I hear some say they don't squat because of a “bad back”, I think of Louie.

Here is a link to there site if anyone is interested, http://www.westside-barbell.com

devilmanVISA

Does anyone else here use the Westside Barbell training method?

Yes.

Good to see someone else on here does. How long have you been using the method? Do you compete?

devilmanVISA

Good to see someone else on here does. How long have you been using the method? Do you compete?

I've been in and out of it for a while. I started using the basics maybe 5 years ago, got hooked up with a powerlifting gym (Bad Attitude Gym), had some injuries and laid decided to take the time out to drop some weight and get into better overall shape. The primary reason behind that was that, at that time, BAG was an explosive atmosphere, and I probably would have fudged my rehab and stayed continually hurt had I not backed out. So I dropped about 150lbs of body fat during rehab and after, and took up a heavy duty bodybuilding program (MountainDog a la John Meadows, working with him directly) to get a bit of a base back. Now I've come full circle and back to Westside. I'm 6'3" @ 275 and 16ish% percent right now. Doing SA until I'm in the 8-10% range and then DB. I don't compete yet, because I'm not competitive and training for a meet is usually counter productive to training for body recomposition. So I train Westside 4 days a week (2 ME and 2 DE), I hit the sled a few times a week on the off days, and I follow the bulk of a MountainDog training program for extra workouts on the off days in the evenings.

stumprrp

Westside here, sunday we do ME bench using bands chains and assorted bars boards ect up to singles, monday we do ME DL with either a pull variation, good morning, or close stance squat/front squat off a low box.  Wednesday is bench assistance/speed work/heavy lockouts, and Thursday is speed squats with either bands or chains.  Assistance work is lats/shoulders/forearms on bench days and on lower days its glute hams, reverse hypers, leg curls, leg press, prowler push, sled drags, abs, all that good stuff.

Batch1

I just started powerlifting and westside.  Have made good progress in the month and a half that I have been doing it.  Just started cbl so I am interested in how my body comp changes.  Right now I am about 195-200 pounds.  I would estimate I am around 15 percent body fat.  Not going to compete yet.  Maybe when I get my numbers up.

Michael Powell

Heck YES!!! I am a strong advocate for Congugate training. I train “West Side” also and have started a log on here as well. come by some time and say hi….Although I am a CBL newb, I feel it is an ideal lifestyle for training heavy or else I wouldn't be doing it. So far, so good.

I've been using Westside methods for nearly 11 years now. Louie has been a mentor of mine, as well as Dave Tate.  I've had GREAT success and prior to having kids was the #1 ranked female in the 132 pound class.(I'm not meaning to sound egotistical, just that it works... and no, westside isn't just for steroid users... I've been natural my whole life!) if anyone has questions about westside, please don't hesitate to ask. I'd be more than happy to help. Julia LadewskiEliteFTS.com Q&A and sponsored lifterjulialadewski.comCo-founder of GirlsGoneStrong

AdamFiddler

Julia,Really awesome to be talking with such an accomplished lifter and kudos on all of your success.  I'm fairly familiar with Westside and Louie Simmons the basic ideas ideas behind the conjugate method, but I haven't really looked into the frequency side of the equation.  Out of curiosity, how often does do the top powerlifters at Westside actually train in a given week?  I guess that's a fairly meaningless question as I would imagine you're constantly cycling intensity, volume, and so on, so I'll revise: In your most intense periods, are you at Westside every day? 5 days per week?  I mostly ask because I'm curious as to how Louie's approach in training powerlifters compares to somebody like John Broz and his approach to training Oly lifters who appear to make incredible raw strength gains as well after working with him.  They both seem at the top of their respective games in terms of training and I'm kind of interested in piecing together the overlap between them if there is any.Thanks for your time and best of luck.Cheers,Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What equipment do you need for Westside?  I only have access to a cheap power cage and crappy exercise bands (in addition to barbells and standard gym equipment).  Could I at least do a bare bones version or I do have train like Ivan Drago with the chains and an enotourage of training partners?I train for size, not strength, but I think my lack of strength is holding back my size gains.  I think Westside may help, but the book is 60 dollars and I rather not waste my money on something I won't be able to do.

Julia,Really awesome to be talking with such an accomplished lifter and kudos on all of your success.  I'm fairly familiar with Westside and Louie Simmons the basic ideas ideas behind the conjugate method, but I haven't really looked into the frequency side of the equation.  Out of curiosity, how often does do the top powerlifters at Westside actually train in a given week?  I guess that's a fairly meaningless question as I would imagine you're constantly cycling intensity, volume, and so on, so I'll revise: In your most intense periods, are you at Westside every day? 5 days per week?  I mostly ask because I'm curious as to how Louie's approach in training powerlifters compares to somebody like John Broz and his approach to training Oly lifters who appear to make incredible raw strength gains as well after working with him.  They both seem at the top of their respective games in terms of training and I'm kind of interested in piecing together the overlap between them if there is any.Thanks for your time and best of luck.Cheers,Adam

I don't train AT Westside.  Should've taken Louie up on the offer when he asked me to move to columbus and train.  😉  But he's been a mentor of mine for years and we train there every time we're in Columbus.  But during the most intense periods, most lifters are there (and I train) 4 days a week.  Depending on the athlete, their level of recovery, etc, there are many guys who will go in on off days to do some GPP work, extra ab work, lat work, etc. etc.  But it's low intensity, recovery type work.Does that answer your question???

What equipment do you need for Westside?  I only have access to a cheap power cage and crappy exercise bands (in addition to barbells and standard gym equipment).  Could I at least do a bare bones version or I do have train like Ivan Drago with the chains and an enotourage of training partners?I train for size, not strength, but I think my lack of strength is holding back my size gains.  I think Westside may help, but the book is 60 dollars and I rather not waste my money on something I won't be able to do.

You don't need much in terms of equipment.  Bands and chains make it fun, but not necessary. ;D  In fact, the majority of the time, it's just my husband and I training together, so no, you don't need an army of training partners.... although if you ask ANYONE in the sport, training partners make all the difference in the world.Yes, i believe your size gains are limited by not increasing your strength.  Do you understand the basic cycling of exercises?? Max Effort and dynamic effort?? etc. etc???  There are a BAZILLION articles out there about westside training which can be found in old Powerlifting USA mags, athletes' websites, facebook, t-nation, Elitefts.com, you name it.  so no, you don't NEED the book.  questions???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westside

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?