Why no chicken?

• This topic has 7 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Isaac
    Keymaster

I've heard Kiefer refer to chicken fat as 'gross' and I know when he did a podcast w/Dave Asprey they were both talking about how they don't eat chicken. I realize that the fat/nutrient density of grass fed red meat is way more beneficial, but I'm getting the feeling both these guys view chicken as an undesirable food to have in your diet.Anyone know why?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Chicken fat is high in PUFAs, which is supposedly inflammatory.  I say supposedly because I feel fine after I eat chicken, but whatever.  Anyway I would imagine skinless chicken breast would be fine by their standards because it's fatty acid profile is nearly all saturated fat.  You just can't eat it without a lot of fat with it if you are trying to control insulin.

Isaac

Aw, but it's all about the skin-on dark meats for me… Wings and drummets and thighs. And yeah, I feel fine after chicken as well.

Is not that chicken in an undesirable food, it's that you should make chicken the main fat you consume.For awhile I was eating chicken wings 2-4 times a week.

Kaprice

Is not that chicken in an undesirable food, it's that you should make chicken the main fat you consume.For awhile I was eating chicken wings 2-4 times a week.

Trevor, I assume you meant, "you should NOT make chicken the main fat...", yes?

Yeah, that's it.I was already into my backload and starting to get tired at that point, haha.

monsieurjkb

Chicken (aside from being full of omega 6/pufas and very little saturated fat) is most likely to be raised/grown in awful conditions. It's more difficult to get the chicken equivalent of pasture raised beef. I'm not sure about 'toxins' in food or what have you, but it seems reasonable to me to conclude that an unhealthy animal means a less nutritious or potentially harmful food.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Chicken (aside from being full of omega 6/pufas and very little saturated fat) is most likely to be raised/grown in awful conditions. It's more difficult to get the chicken equivalent of pasture raised beef. I'm not sure about 'toxins' in food or what have you, but it seems reasonable to me to conclude that an unhealthy animal means a less nutritious or potentially harmful food.

I was traveling for work in a rual area and I was talking to a guy who said he raised chickens.  Since I guess it's obvious that I am a product of the suburbs, he jokingly asked me if I knew how chickens were fed.  I told him I did and he said "I bet you you don't, they aren't always eating corn and seeds, half the time they are eating insects and maggots".  I guess he thought this would gross me out and it would be funny, I told him "I'd rather them eat bugs and maggots than corn!".  He looked at me with a confused face!

Isaac

Actually I heard that's the problem with a lot of chicken and eggs- they're marked “from Vegetarian chickens!” as though that's a healthy thing, when in fact the chickens are malnourished and being fed nothing but genetically modified corn, when a normal free-range healthy chicken would be eating all sorts of stuff left to it's own devices- small insects and animals included.I stopped buying eggs from "vegetarian" hens when I heard this. Manipulative advertising pisses me off.

dawatts22

I was traveling for work in a rual area and I was talking to a guy who said he raised chickens.  Since I guess it's obvious that I am a product of the suburbs, he jokingly asked me if I knew how chickens were fed.  I told him I did and he said "I bet you you don't, they aren't always eating corn and seeds, half the time they are eating insects and maggots".  I guess he thought this would gross me out and it would be funny, I told him "I'd rather them eat bugs and maggots than corn!".  He looked at me with a confused face!

And the maggots are in cow shit if the chickens are allowed to forage in cow pastures.  Makes for lovely orange yolks.

monsieurjkb

Actually I heard that's the problem with a lot of chicken and eggs- they're marked "from Vegetarian chickens!" as though that's a healthy thing, when in fact the chickens are malnourished and being fed nothing but genetically modified corn, when a normal free-range healthy chicken would be eating all sorts of stuff left to it's own devices- small insects and animals included.I stopped buying eggs from "vegetarian" hens when I heard this. Manipulative advertising pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iubf1oJdQQQ&feature=related

dawatts22

Actually I heard that's the problem with a lot of chicken and eggs- they're marked "from Vegetarian chickens!" as though that's a healthy thing, when in fact the chickens are malnourished and being fed nothing but genetically modified corn, when a normal free-range healthy chicken would be eating all sorts of stuff left to it's own devices- small insects and animals included.I stopped buying eggs from "vegetarian" hens when I heard this. Manipulative advertising pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iubf1oJdQQQ&feature=related

Ha!  The best part is the audible disgust of the girl filming.

Leo Solis
    Participant

Producing large quantities of quality poultry ( grass feed beef level) is more expensive because they are not strict herbivores the same is true for pigs and probably farmed fishI am studying veterinary and animal science, and it is actually maddening to notice what professors teach in class as ways to evaluate quality of animal protein products, for them all that matters is tender meat and creamy milk. Luckly, most farmers in this country cant afford feeding grains to their animals (let alone antibiotics and hormones) and it is also very common to see people selling raw chesse in street, thats way it is relatvely easy and inepensive for me to get safe raw milk and grass feed beef.

Scruffy

The cost difference Grain V grassfed beef is much better than factory v pasture raised chicken.I grew up in dairy country and a lot of people fed their cows with exclusive or near exclusive grass and hay, although its eventually mixed with grain feeders in most states which don't let people sell directly from their farm.  That is not uncommon.But a nearbye county produced a lot of chicken, and it is extremely uncommon for them to be raised the right way.  The cost of production is way higher, and the customer will probably be unwilling to pay it.  Its sad.I'm not a scientist, but I follow this rule: Beef, eat is grassfed and eat all the fat you want.  Chicken, eat it as lean as possible and add fat through frying or breading with almond flour

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Producing large quantities of quality poultry ( grass feed beef level) is more expensive because they are not strict herbivores the same is true for pigs and probably farmed fishI am studying veterinary and animal science, and it is actually maddening to notice what professors teach in class as ways to evaluate quality of animal protein products, for them all that matters is tender meat and creamy milk. Luckly, most farmers in this country cant afford feeding grains to their animals (let alone antibiotics and hormones) and it is also very common to see people selling raw chesse in street, thats way it is relatvely easy and inepensive for me to get safe raw milk and grass feed beef.

I don't know where you live it was hard as hell for me to find grass fed beef and raw milk.  I have to pay a premium price for them too, when I could go to Sam's club and get grain fed beef for $2/lb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Why no chicken?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?