www.truenutrition.com Was questionable but now am not!

• This topic has 9 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

bioengineer
    Keymaster

Hey all, I'm new to CBL and started incorporating it into my Starting Strength routine. Looking forward to the next 4 months while on it 🙂  Coming from a strict paleo diet, CBL seems like an easy yet rewarding protocol!After reading The Protein Book by Lyle McDonald and sifting through his literature, truenutrition.com was recommended. I was immediately skeptical of TN's protein due to the numerous products and the "it's-to-good-to-be-true" prices that they offer. Although, now that I have talked to Carl Manes (a company rep) I am definitely behind their product. As per some companies that sneak in loads of rice protein and soy derivatives, which result in less of the desired protein, I inquired to Carl about some of these clandestine practices. He assured me that when you read the contents of a protein, such as Team Skip, you are getting what they advertise and that using "proprietary" blends with some undesirable derivatives are not in their practice. In addition to some weird issues that occurred with TN and third-party lab testing well over 5 years ago, the company has come a long way in quality and flavoring. Just thought I'd write this because I couldn't find much info on individuals opinions on TN's quality. Carl answered my emails super quickly and was awesome.On a side note, how have you guys found Protein Factory in terms of quality...anything to be skeptical about?Let me know.Alex

Marty P Koch
    Participant

I've sung TN's praises on this and other boards for a while.  First came across them several years ago (formerly TrueProtein) when I was training DC.  Been using them and so far, can't beat 'em in my book.Carl and Dante Trudel (DoggCrapp himself) are co-owners of TN and about as honest and personable a bunch as can be.

gabex

Hey all, I'm new to CBL and started incorporating it into my Starting Strength routine. Looking forward to the next 4 months while on it 🙂  Coming from a strict paleo diet, CBL seems like an easy yet rewarding protocol!After reading The Protein Book by Lyle McDonald and sifting through his literature, truenutrition.com was recommended. I was immediately skeptical of TN's protein due to the numerous products and the "it's-to-good-to-be-true" prices that they offer. Although, now that I have talked to Carl Manes (a company rep) I am definitely behind their product. As per some companies that sneak in loads of rice protein and soy derivatives, which result in less of the desired protein, I inquired to Carl about some of these clandestine practices. He assured me that when you read the contents of a protein, such as Team Skip, you are getting what they advertise and that using "proprietary" blends with some undesirable derivatives are not in their practice. In addition to some weird issues that occurred with TN and third-party lab testing well over 5 years ago, the company has come a long way in quality and flavoring. Just thought I'd write this because I couldn't find much info on individuals opinions on TN's quality. Carl answered my emails super quickly and was awesome.On a side note, how have you guys found Protein Factory in terms of quality...anything to be skeptical about?Let me know.Alex

Google ProteinFactory 1FAST400

Google ProteinFactory 1FAST400

Protein Factory =/= TrueNutrition

David Margittai
    Participant

Speaking of TrueNutrition, where do you guys stand on their “Team Skip” Formula (https://www.truenutrition.com/p-1019-team-skip-formula-1lb-eggmilk.aspx?). It definitely looks like a pretty good (and affordable) blend to me, but I don't know if I would be better served to just go for the straight isolate (http://www.truenutrition.com/p-947-whey-protein-isolate-cold-filtration-1lb-milk.aspx) or if this blend would be better for the overall cause.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Protein Factory =/= TrueNutrition

Absolutely.TrueNutrition>Protein Factory10

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Speaking of TrueNutrition, where do you guys stand on their "Team Skip" Formula (https://www.truenutrition.com/p-1019-team-skip-formula-1lb-eggmilk.aspx?). It definitely looks like a pretty good (and affordable) blend to me, but I don't know if I would be better served to just go for the straight isolate (http://www.truenutrition.com/p-947-whey-protein-isolate-cold-filtration-1lb-milk.aspx) or if this blend would be better for the overall cause.

For these protocols, if you can't do the hydrolysate, isolate, peptopro blend, then just the straight isolate is the way to go.  I used the Team Skip in the past as a 'meal replacement' type mix.  It has too much casein in it to work here imo - it is an even split isolate/casein/egg.

David Margittai
    Participant

Speaking of TrueNutrition, where do you guys stand on their "Team Skip" Formula (https://www.truenutrition.com/p-1019-team-skip-formula-1lb-eggmilk.aspx?). It definitely looks like a pretty good (and affordable) blend to me, but I don't know if I would be better served to just go for the straight isolate (http://www.truenutrition.com/p-947-whey-protein-isolate-cold-filtration-1lb-milk.aspx) or if this blend would be better for the overall cause.

For these protocols, if you can't do the hydrolysate, isolate, peptopro blend, then just the straight isolate is the way to go.  I used the Team Skip in the past as a 'meal replacement' type mix.  It has too much casein in it to work here imo - it is an even split isolate/casein/egg.

Then I'll stick to the isolate. Thanks!

bioengineer

Ya - I'm quite the newb so a hydrolysate will probably kick my ass in the taste department based on what people tell me. I'll likely do a 50/50 of Hyd. to Iso. and add 2x flavoring.Anyway....thx for the input.

Ya - I'm quite the newb so a hydrolysate will probably kick my ass in the taste department based on what people tell me. I'll likely do a 50/50 of Hyd. to Iso. and add 2x flavoring.Anyway....thx for the input.

Sounds solid. Let us know what you end up getting, flavoring wise, and how it works out.Although TN is switching to a new flavoring system in the coming months.

Marty P Koch
    Participant

Ya - I'm quite the newb so a hydrolysate will probably kick my ass in the taste department based on what people tell me. I'll likely do a 50/50 of Hyd. to Iso. and add 2x flavoring. Definitely let us know how this goes...the 50/50 mix would probably make a strong man cry even with the 2X flavoring.  Hope it works out!Anyway....thx for the input.

Protein factory i think is way better. Plus tp kind of stole ideas from Alex

Protein factory i think is way better. Plus tp kind of stole ideas from Alex

Can you substantiate that claim? Other than TrueNutrition's slower shipping time for some (a function of being on the West Coast), they've not failed a large battery of protein tests and they have a much larger set of products. Given TN's often lower costs, I'm not sure on what factor PF wins.

I live a country or two away from their office's so I get orders insanely fast when I did order from them. I don't really take many supplements anymore, but I actually followed up with someone I know who is friends with Alex, and she isn't so sure PF is what it once was. So for now I have to actually keep my opinion to myself haha

Richard Schmitt

I know that this is an old thread but for those who have a gluten problem, I did make an attempt to contact them and asked if their products contain gluten. "The only ingredient that we offer containing Gluten will be the Glutamine Peptides, so you will want to avoid any products containing this material. We do manufacture in a facility that handles wheat gluten on a daily bases, however." -Carl Manes, Customer Service Manager, True NutritionMy only thing is now is trying to get some purer whey isolate, at least which one to get or mix with a Hydrolyzed/Hydrolysate whey. Both lactose friendly and gluten free.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

www.truenutrition.com Was questionable but now am not!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?