ZMA

• This topic has 10 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

m14wallace
    Participant

Has anyone used ZMA? If so, what was your experience?

nickl413

It helps me fall asleep but doesnt help me stay asleep.  In fact my sleep quality tends to be worse and I sleep less hours and wake up feeling groggy.  It gained popularity during the whole BALCO labs steroid thing.  A few high profile athletes took steroids and attributed their success to BALCO's legal supplement ZMA.  It's just zinc, mangnesium and B6.  Nothing special and I dont think it does what they claim like increase testosterone.  Oddly though, I've seen my best fat loss during the times when I was taking it.  Likely just a coincidence.  Oh that reminds me- bed soon, need to take my ZMA.....

Mjl1030

I had similar symptoms. I got to sleep faster but I would wake much easier through the night. I would have lucid dreams as well. I would actually awake rested most days, but waking up so many times during the night made me get rid of it.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's actually the Vitamin B-6 that gives you the crazy dreams and helps you fall asleep.  ZMA is for suckers, all studies done on it proves that all it does is raise your serum zinc levels (no different than a zinc supplement). 

dawatts22

It's actually the Vitamin B-6 that gives you the crazy dreams and helps you fall asleep.  ZMA is for suckers, all studies done on it proves that all it does is raise your serum zinc levels (no different than a zinc supplement).

So why not just take it as a zinc and magnesium supplement?  Arent most people deficient in mag anyway?

Exactly... not to mention that calcium blocks the uptake of zinc so based on what I have seen on here most people seem to have dairy by bed time on CBL

m14wallace
    Participant

Thanks for all the info. I don't think I will waste my money on it.

Mal

Hi, I've had some positive results from it. I still tend to wake up about 2 hrs in but I fall asleep alot easier than before.Also for some reason I'm feeling really rested in the morning. After a big training session(muay thai) when usually I'm sore. I feel really good. Maybe just me. I have only just started taking this so maybe its just me wanting it to work. But hey my family can see the results the next day. Will keep you informed. 😉

Mal

I should of been more careful, I'm using Z12, SORRY :-[

Hi, I've had some positive results from it. I still tend to wake up about 2 hrs in but I fall asleep alot easier than before.Also for some reason I'm feeling really rested in the morning. After a big training session(muay thai) when usually I'm sore. I feel really good. Maybe just me. I have only just started taking this so maybe its just me wanting it to work. But hey my family can see the results the next day. Will keep you informed. 😉

I love Muay Thai! You reminded me how much I miss training.Anyway, you'd likely do just as well buying natural calm, some zinc, and maybe B6.The Magnesium in natural calm is more effective, and it most likely be cheaper to go that route.

TheDan
    Participant

The short version of the studies ive read only proved beneficial for people deficient in zinc and or magnesium.

RagE

You need zinc and magnesium.  You need them for your body to function. If you are deficient in them, which most people are, your biochemistry will be off, and you will not function optimally.

Richard Schmitt

Any good brands for these two items? they should be kept separate or is a combination ok?

Wezforce

I just use my local chemists brand of magnesium-calcium-zinc. combination. Works fine for me.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Any good brands for these two items? they should be kept separate or is a combination ok?

Yea buy them seperately.  The guy would created ZMA patented his formula so it is expensive to buy (It's like $20 for 30 doses).  You can go to a walmart and buy zinc and magnesium seperately.  That would probably be the cheapest route.  The best way would be from a high quality brand with pharmaceutical grade quality.  A combination would be fine too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ZMA

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?