3 Minutes of HIIT per week for 24% Better Insulin Sensitivity

• This topic has 8 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ADTS
    Keymaster

The thread title says it all. Saw this over on T-Nation and thought I'd bring it over.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251Thoughts?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think HIIT is finally starting to get the publicity it deserves.  Yesterday a girl I know that is outside the “fitness community” said she was going to do HIIT to lose weight.  Maybe in a few years people will finally relaize it is superior to steady state cardio fro everything except for distance running.

Richard Schmitt

I think HIIT is finally starting to get the publicity it deserves.  Yesterday a girl I know that is outside the "fitness community" said she was going to do HIIT to lose weight.  Maybe in a few years people will finally relaize it is superior to steady state cardio fro everything except for distance running.

I know it is better to do HIIT, than steady-state. Just wish everyone at the cardio tent I go to would understand that and not give me weird looks when I do my intervals.

ADTS

I know this study was only one guy and wasn't very comprehensive. But was anyone else amazed by how LITTLE amount of HIIT it took to improve insulin sensitivity?FTR both types of cardio have their place, but if I can do MUCH MUCH less of one for the same or more benefit its a no brainer. Which is perfect for me.

Naomi Most

I know this study was only one guy and wasn't very comprehensive. But was anyone else amazed by how LITTLE amount of HIIT it took to improve insulin sensitivity?FTR both types of cardio have their place, but if I can do MUCH MUCH less of one for the same or more benefit its a no brainer. Which is perfect for me.

For me too. Which is why I wasn't surprised at all.  This is why, when I'm gung-ho about getting HIIT every day, the most I ever do is 2 Tabata circuits, one in the morning and one in the evening.  It's "enough" for me.Why try harder when you can get 80% of the benefits by doing 20% of the work?(Of course doing Tabatas consistently and effectively takes a certain personality type... apparently I am that type. I would rather DESTROY myself in 4 minutes than push through 20.)

jcgomez

What is this Tabatas thing?

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Google is your friend there 😉 8 rounds of 20 secs work, 10 secs rest. A lot of people use thrusters, front squats or OH presses. Do as many reps as you can in the prescribed time. 😉

soulmind

http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/forum/index.php?topic=260.0To answer your question: total awesomeness!As for destroying yourself in 4 minutes I agree with Naomi.  The way I look at it is just approach every 30 seconds as they come.  If you go balls out and have to stop at 10-15 seconds in one of your intervals just use the extra rest to motivate you for the next interval. 

Stephen Davis
    Participant

This is akin to living at the outer rim of hell for 4 minutes.  Of course, the aftermath is awesome!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

3 Minutes of HIIT per week for 24% Better Insulin Sensitivity

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?