A few questions….

• This topic has 3 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Interloper
    Keymaster

1.) Would taking BCAA's during the day hinder/help/ or have no effect while doing CN?2.) Is there a goal, gram-wise, I should be shooting for as far as fish oil supps are concerned? 3.) Also, I read a brief article saying that borage oil is actually better than fish oil when chasing fat loss. It said that both should be used, but you should be using more of the borage oil. Anyone agree/disagree/ have an opinion? Thanks for your time.

IOWA.PharmD

1) Probably hinder, not necessary.2) At least 5 grams total with a 3:1 ratio of EPA:DHA3) I don't know what borage oil is. I'm guessing fish oil is sufficient.

Naomi Most

1.) Would taking BCAA's during the day hinder/help/ or have no effect while doing CN?2.) Is there a goal, gram-wise, I should be shooting for as far as fish oil supps are concerned? 3.) Also, I read a brief article saying that borage oil is actually better than fish oil when chasing fat loss. It said that both should be used, but you should be using more of the borage oil. Anyone agree/disagree/ have an opinion? Thanks for your time.

1 and 2 by IOWA.PharmD are right.3 - Borage oil is high in a certain type of omega-6 fatty acid called GLA, which is the precursor to series 1 prostaglandins (PGE1) which are said to be anti-inflammatory.  Evening primrose oil is another one people supplement with for this reason.PGE1 improves insulin sensitivity and speeds muscle recuperation after training. However, PGE2 (formed from the O-6 fatty acids that more prevalent in our diet, such as arachidonic acid) are required for muscle growth.You need these prostaglandins in balance -- especially while weight training --  so producing more of one or the other is not going to be beneficial.The effects of fatty acid supplementation to accentuate one prostaglandin or another are (in my amateur estimation) too complex for anyone to give you or anyone else a recommendation as to whether it would be a good idea to take one.  Fish oil is one of the few we can whole-heartedly recommend due to their great scarcity in the Standard American Diet, but our food is awash in omega-6s, including GLA, as long as you're not eating processed junk all of the time.  A few nuts and avocados here and there get you all of the GLA you can probably use, and grass-fed beef and butter are great for this as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A few questions….

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?