AB Exercises

• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

jcgomez

I have been doing Shockwave. In my gym, there really is not a place to do landmines. Can anyone recommend a replacement exercise preferably with dumbbells, but certainly with weights? I would really like to further develop my lower especially. Or a complete routine? Thank you in advance.

nickl413

I don't think you can get the same effect with dumbells, then it's more of a shoulder exercise.  Not sure what you mean by “there's no place to do landmines” You mean you don't have the equipment?  or don't own a barbell? If you have a barbell you can either stick the other end in a corner or on the floor inside a weight plate as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eLr2BSBpA4It's really just a really good core exercise.  If you've never done planks I'd maybe do those for a while or try some of the variations like plank with one arm pully row.  Other than that, maybe windshield wipers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLxL2IEECb4 Really hard to do at first but you can start practicing on the floor like the hot chick in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOGDImvQPfg

pshannon

Front squat or goblet squat

Front squat or goblet squat

+1 Heavy front squats, heavy deads, heavy weighted chins will work abs like crazy.

Jonny1337

dragon flags & rope crunches are my favorites 🙂

thestiffmeister
    Participant

Dead-lifts, chin-ups and squats work my abs insanely without needing to add any isolation movements. I do cable crunches sometimes, but the weight is too light..only goes up to 200 pounds and I can do like 15 of those pretty easily.If I am working abs directly, I am most likely not even supposed to lift that day. I also don't like it when my abs are hypertrophied, makes it look like I have an ab belly and if I have to do anything heavy shortly after, I'm screwed.

Richard Schmitt

I have been doing Shockwave. In my gym, there really is not a place to do landmines. Can anyone recommend a replacement exercise preferably with dumbbells, but certainly with weights? I would really like to further develop my lower especially. Or a complete routine? Thank you in advance.

Holy hell! Is that a picture of you!? Badass haha. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Richard Schmitt

Yeah I would be thrilled if anyone could give me a great ab workout to do. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

pshannon

Yeah I would be thrilled if anyone could give me a great ab workout to do. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Its not about the workout, its about how effectively you do the exercise. Abs are hard to hit because you really need to focus on them. Decline sit-ups with weight always a good one - forcefully exhale at the top of each rep. Dont just round your spinePlanks with feet elevated.

jcgomez

Thank you all.nickl413, There are only a few bars in the gym and the corners and wall space are taken up if you can even get your hands on one to use. I have tried doing it at home with a closet rod, but it just is not the same. I think (and think being the optimal word) the bar or rod has to weigh something and hence my search for an alternative. When I get stronger, I will definitely the windshield wipers. Thanks.psshannon & Trevorxgage, I am already doing goblet squats during my leg day instead of regular squats because I am trying to keep better form and it seems easier for me to do during goblets instead of regular squats. I am also doing one arm squats (not sure that is what they are called, I squat and hold a dumbbell only in one hand then switch to the other side after 10) on ab days. Should I add more goblets or add front squats to my ab days as well? If so, how many sets and reps? Thanks.Johnny1337, I am doing something similar to the dragon flag. I am not sure what the machine is called, but you rest your forearms on it and your feet are off the ground. I then put a 10-15 dumbbell between my feet and raise my feet until they are parallel with the floor (knees straight) and my core, back, shoulders, and head are perpendicular to the floor. I do three sets of ten. Do you think I should substitute the dragon flag instead or do you think this is hitting the same muscles? Thanks.thestiffmeister, deadlifts...I cannot seem to make my body do them. It is like jumping off a cliff. I cannot seem to get the right muscles engaged. I cannot dance either. I am probably not strong enough. Is there an alternative to the deadlift? I a was actually going to post on the subject. Thanks.Tex, that is me...14% BF. Just got tested on an Inbody320 today (it looked expensive and was hooked up to a computer). Maybe I just need to lose more fat.  🙁 Thanks.pshannon, I already do planks and I love doing push ups, especially elevated with push bars. I will now just substitute the planks with elevated planks. Thanks.

thestiffmeister
    Participant

Weighted chin-ups would be your best best if you can't dead-lift.

pshannon

well i would swap front squats on legs day…. if your doing goblet squats instead of normal your going to be hindered in muscle growth. Since holding a 100lb dumbell is hard as well and having 95 on your front/rear delts feels like nothing. speed goblet squats on a separate day for abs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

AB Exercises

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?