Adding weight each week

• This topic has 2 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

stephenhdmrs

I know this is a noob question but some of you are trainers/more experienced so I wanted your input.  I've been “lifting” for a year.  First half of the year was light weights, no real structure or anything.  The last 3 months i've followed a weight lifting routine and been wondering, what if the 5 lb's per week to add is too much?  I know that sounds pathetic but on some things, it's a large percentage increase.  5 lb's per week is the general rule, but do you guys do something else?  For pull ups(35 lb's weighted)/dips(55 lbs) and other things, 5 lb's is a lot to add each week.  Obviously it's not an issue on a squat/bench/deadlift.  But on some tricep/bicep exercises, it can be a lot week to week.Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

sckiely
    Participant

There is no REAL general rule to how to add weight. A lot of systems set numbers to provide a guideline. We all progress at different rates. So there are a number of options for progress here. I'm going to name a few i use depending on what stage of training i'm in.1) If you stall back off 10-20% and start working back up. 2) Wave the load from workout to workout, using weights between 60-90% of max for a few weeks (6-8 i usually do) i try to keep the volume consistent regardless of weight3) The Ladder system (My favourite) i learnt this from A book by Pavel and it works for everything. 4) Choose a different variation of the exercise: Close grip bench/ Bench press- Box squat/ Back squats- Inverted row/ barbell row.There are lots more but these are some that have worked well for me and my clients.Hope it is useful

stephenhdmrs

Awesome tips!  I'm going to try them and see what works best for me.Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adding weight each week

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?