amazing all-potato diet preserves muscle!

• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

I just found this amazing study from the mid-1920s where people ate “only potatoes” and retained all of their muscle, even after 3+ months of this diet. When I actually read the study closely, it turned out they were encouraging these people to add massive amounts of fat to their potatoes, thinking that fat was simply calories."The amount of fat consumed was not accurately estimated, it varied from 120-150g daily."Then they did all manner of machinations to prove that the amino acid content of potatoes was sufficient to preserve lean mass.  They had no idea that what worked about their diet was the high triglyceride content.Here's the study:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1252113/And here's the page I quoted from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1252113/?page=1

Robone

Actually the diet might not have ” worked ” . Back then they assumed that the measurement of nitrogen in the urine was a way to determine if one was loosing or gaining muscle tissue. Today we know this is not true. Therefore the study is useless.

Naomi Most

Actually the diet might not have " worked " . Back then they assumed that the measurement of nitrogen in the urine was a way to determine if one was loosing or gaining muscle tissue. Today we know this is not true. Therefore the study is useless.

Ah yes, true.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Hmmm maybe my Irish ancestors were on to something.  Anyways potatos are pretty nutrient dense so it doesn't suprise me that you could live on potatos and butter or whatever fat they used.Did you know though that there are a large amount of people who think potatos are bad for you?  Ridiculous.

Newfiedan
    Participant

lol tell that to my ancestors back in Newfoundland, the potato was a diet staple, and most of the men I grew up with were huge men. They worked hard, ate what is considered by health gurus to be a terrible diet but were large muscular lean men.

stumprrp

Very interesting study.  I love reading this stuff that totally debunks all of the crap media/govt paid studies to get people to buy crap “diet” foods.

Naomi Most

lol tell that to my ancestors back in Newfoundland, the potato was a diet staple, and most of the men I grew up with were huge men. They worked hard, ate what is considered by health gurus to be a terrible diet but were large muscular lean men.

Yeah, see, the thing is that if you put hard work into the equation, the macro composition of your diet doesn't matter all that much (assuming you don't want fine-grained control over what you look like, then it's a different story).It's the modern desk-oriented lifestyle coupled with years of indoctrination into an "eat whatever you like, whenever you like" eating pattern that makes the creation of a book like Carb Nite necessary.My maternal ancestors were typical Irish beef-and-potato eaters with oats and beer for breakfast.  When my relatives come over from Donegal, this is their dinner suggestion:"We'll boil some poTAYtoes... in some MILK... It'll be LUVly."Every. Single. Time.And the only differences between them in the way they look is whether they have an outdoor job (e.g. construction) or have a desk job (or stay home with the babies all day).  The sedentary ones are chubby and pre-diabetic.  The men are doing fine and look fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

amazing all-potato diet preserves muscle!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?