Another Newbie…excited to be here!

• This topic has 5 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Shane Layton

Allow myself to introduce…myself.Age: 35Height: 6'3"Weight: 232lbs (after 9 days of prep phase. Started at 241lbs)BF%: 28 (yikes!)Program: CBL Strength AccumulationGoal: I want what Kiefer claims: simultaneous fat loss & muscle gain. I want to achieve <10%BF, whatever that weight may be, as long as it's consistent with the aesthetic image in my head. I will not stop till I achieve that goal.Some history... I've been exercising/weight training for ~15 years, but it wouldn't be obvious by looking at me, because I've done a lot of yo-yo'ing. I'm a former fat boy. I weighed ~280lbs when I was 18, started exercising when i was 20, and got down to 185lbs by 21, by lifting weights and doing SS cardio 6-7 days/week. Since then, I've yo-yo'd in the 200-250 range a couple times, never gaining an appreciable amount of muscle. Admittedly, I was always derailed when in a relationship (complacency). I'm now married to a smokin hot crossfit trainer, so it's......Tiiiiiimmmmme!!!I love the science behind CBL, and as an engineer I fully appreciate Kiefer's extensive research and citings. I am hell bent on achieving my goal of <10%BF. I think I understand the CBL process now, after reading the book a couple times and scouring this forum to fill in the ???s, and nothing will stop me now.  I am on day 9 of my Prep phase, and I have lost 9lbs. This alone is amazing to me. I will be creating a log very soon, so please stay tuned...One last thing...I really appreciate how helpful and positive and humble everyone is on this forum. Very rare for nutrition/exercise forums. Typically I'm a lurker, but I'm excited to be a little more active given the positivity on this forum.Thanks!7j 8)

Damon Amato
    Participant

I would not let your crossfit wife listen to the podcasts where Kiefer has yet to not shit on crossfit. Welcome and good luck, you sound a lot like me when I started.

Shane Layton

Dmunnee,Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I have to be careful what I say about crossfit. My wife wants to do a modified version of CBL, and she has agreed to incorporate more strength training into her routine while decreasing her crossfit.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Welcome ^^

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Welcome I am an engineer as well!  Not to sound discouraging, but you have a long way to go, but with determination, discipline, and patience, I am sure you will succeed! 

Shane Layton

Not discouraging at all…I know I have lots of work to do, and I'm looking forward to it. This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary goal.Thanks for the welcome!I'll be posting a log hopefully this weekend.

acarnovale

Welcome to the forums!You mention you did SS before, but what program are you on now? Do you have an idea of what your back-load and off days will look like? The reason I as is there are a lot of people on here who can offer a ton of advice on how to optimize it based on your goal. Also, I assume you're doing Strength Accumulation?As for your wife. She should check out "The Outlaw Way" blog. The guy offers up free and very good programming (puts a big emphasis on strength and the olympic lifts). Had a ton of people qualify for Regionals and a good amount already qualified for the Games.

Igor Vidovic
    Participant

Welcome and good luck. You're already ahead of me I'm on day 6 of prep phase  🙂

training log
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yQ7u-n9iU7R910fUgcAEo5NJoUZzT3w1zLC5qYyaGZE/edit#gid=1795865688

Shane Layton

@acarnovaleI was referring to steady state cardio when I said SS, although I did do Starting Strength for a short time. I definitely follow Rip's form guidelines. That's always been one of my problems, though...not following through on any one program. I didn't think I could gain muscle/lose fat simultaneously, so I would pick one, usually fat loss, and then I would fall victim to paralysis by analysis and never make it through an entire program. Yes, I'm doing SA, and I updated my OP to reflect that. As far as current program goes, I'm not doing anything specific. For my main lifts (DL, squat, bench, etc.), I'm doing 2 sets of 7-5-3 reps (Thibs recommends this for strength + hypertrophy), and for my accessory movements I'm doing higher reps, depending on the muscle. I'll break it down in more detail in my log. Here's a typical off day for me:7:30am - coffee + 1tbls coconut oil + 2tblsp heavy cream + 10g WPI11:30am - chicken w/ skin on, avacado, veggies w/ cheese3:30pm - Something similar to prior meal7:30pm - chicken + veggiesI'll know how many carbs to shoot for after today (10th day of prep). I'm already planning my first backload, though: grilled skirt steak w/ chimichurri, lots of jasmin rice, black beansfollowed byvanilla bean ice cream w/ home-made chocolate-chip cookies.I'll definitely tell the wifey about "the outlaw way", thanks for the rec.@Arrr1Thanks, man! Besides a couple headaches here and there, I actually felt really good throughout my prep phase. Today is day 10 for me! Good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Another Newbie…excited to be here!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?