Anyone doing a full body routine for their CBL

• This topic has 5 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CptSmash

Just curious if anyone is doing a full body routine before CBL.  Current thoughts are that GLUT4 receptors has only affected working muscles.  The intensity level can range from 40-80% 1RM, as long as the session is about 30minutes in length to activate GLUT4.  So, if you work all the muscle groups or all the major muscles in a workout, you'll get a bigger effect from CBL.  Thoughts?Tatsuya Hayashi, et al. Exercise regulation of glucose transport in skeletal muscle.  Am J Physiol Endocr. Metab, 1997.Giorgos N., et al.  Acute exercise and GLUT4 expression in human skeletal muscle: influences of exercise intensity.  J Appl. Physiol. JUN, 2006.Anders Thorell, et al.  Exercise and insulin cause GLUT4 translocation in human skeletal muscle.  Am. J. Physio. 1999.A few recently read studies for reference.

Jonathan H Blough
    Participant

I have been doing full body for CBL (three days per week), but switched to a split routine yesterday.Here are my thoughts on it - keep in mind that this is just speculation and I haven't done any research to support it.I think that a full body routine is probably better for weight loss than muscle growth. The reason is that if you activate GLUT4 all over the body the effect of the backload is spread out to every muscle you worked. This should make it more difficult to over eat on a backload. The flip side is that because the effect is spread out over the entire body it could also mean that no muscle gets the full benefit of the backload like it would with doing a split routine before CBL.However, with a full body routine, you can work each bodypart more frequently than with a split routine so getting a full body benefit from 3 CBLs might make up for not getting as much benefit from each CBL individually.But...I don't know for sure. That's why I'm testing on myself.

Just curious if anyone is doing a full body routine before CBL.  Current thoughts are that GLUT4 receptors has only affected working muscles.  The intensity level can range from 40-80% 1RM, as long as the session is about 30minutes in length to activate GLUT4.  So, if you work all the muscle groups or all the major muscles in a workout, you'll get a bigger effect from CBL.  Thoughts?Tatsuya Hayashi, et al. Exercise regulation of glucose transport in skeletal muscle.  Am J Physiol Endocr. Metab, 1997.Giorgos N., et al.  Acute exercise and GLUT4 expression in human skeletal muscle: influences of exercise intensity.  J Appl. Physiol. JUN, 2006.Anders Thorell, et al.  Exercise and insulin cause GLUT4 translocation in human skeletal muscle.  Am. J. Physio. 1999.A few recently read studies for reference.

Dunno about CBL, but I have done a 3-day, full-body routine using CNS, and my fat-loss really bumped up for a bit.  I only stopped, b/c around the 5-week mark, I began experiencing over-training symptoms... so, I went back to a bodypart split w/ slightly higher reps to change things up (which worked).My full-body routine was much like Reg Park's or Bill Pearl's.  4-5 sets per exercise, one exercise per body part, all compounds,  6-8 reps per set (except ab/core work, which was to failure).  Exercise selection changed each day (i.e., for chest -- day one:  Inc. Bench, day two:  Flat Bench, day three:  Inc. DB Bench).Cory

Jeffrey Hansen
    Participant

When I first started I used this http://trainnowlivelater.blogspot.com/2009/01/body-by-science-big-5-workout.html. I saw great results but stopped because I was too sore to workout everyday like I wanted to.  Perhaps I will adjust it and try what Cory did.  It makes great sense to me.It seems everyone gets great results when first starting  CBL, I chalked my experience up to that, but it is definitely worth experimenting with.

CptSmash

I really don't get sore that often anymore.  Maybe a little tender at times, but I train a lot of high volume, so my body is pretty used to that.  I also am following a Rogue plan, where I hit an early morning workout with a 5-3-1 template and a couple of assistance exercises, then hit a CBL focused workout in the PM.  I have to make some adjustments to the workout though since the volume I selected is a bit too high, even for me, but I believe it's working.  Still losing bodyfat on my 3rd week.  I need to cut out the junk back loads though, I think those may be slowing my progress down some.  But no real issues.I was just curious if other people were having better results off of full body training than regular bodybuilding splits, since only worked muscle groups tend to have the elevated GLUT4 responses. 

paull

pretty good question!should keep this in mind to ask kiefer to maybe clarify this on the next podcast.i´m also wondering why kiefer recommends high-bdypart-splits in all of his training templates,when it would make much more sense(intuitively!) to activate tglut in as much muscle groups as possible.

jimbo40

I tried out a full body routine I put together today for my carbnite. Im hoping I was able to get maximal tglut translocation. This was the workout:Squat 5x 3-5 Bench 5x6 (dynamic)Pull ups 5x5 (dynamic)Clean-press 5x5Tricep extensions 5x15

CptSmash

I have been doing full body for CBL (three days per week), but switched to a split routine yesterday.Here are my thoughts on it - keep in mind that this is just speculation and I haven't done any research to support it.I think that a full body routine is probably better for weight loss than muscle growth. The reason is that if you activate GLUT4 all over the body the effect of the backload is spread out to every muscle you worked. This should make it more difficult to over eat on a backload. The flip side is that because the effect is spread out over the entire body it could also mean that no muscle gets the full benefit of the backload like it would with doing a split routine before CBL.However, with a full body routine, you can work each bodypart more frequently than with a split routine so getting a full body benefit from 3 CBLs might make up for not getting as much benefit from each CBL individually.But...I don't know for sure. That's why I'm testing on myself.

Yeah, I did think of this.  That's why I've been testing out training once in the AM with a focused on 5-3-1 protocols, some assistance exercises, conditioning; then in the PM I'll just do a full body for tGLUT--all major muscle groups, compound exercises, 4x10-12...but I'm switching it out.  Too fatigued.  I could only maintain it for a two week period, and now I think I'm going to crash and burn (but I've been doing two days for a while).  Switched to more of an athletic form of resistance training, with the ELECT series.  Still keeping my morning WO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Anyone doing a full body routine for their CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?