Back loading with fruits.

• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mike Nightly
    Keymaster

Hey, just wanna say, im extremely impressed with the amount of research put into your theories, and cant wait to learn much more frm ya. I've tried back loading a few times before, 'speacially during cutting phases, and have seen excellent results. However, i just wanna ask whether it would be possible to back-load with hi- GI fruits, and whether consuming whole-wheat products during back loading will in any way negatively effect my fat loss efforts. Im sorry if you've heard this before, just wanna make sure. Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work. 😀

Naomi Most

Moving this to “programs and protocols” forum. Oh, and well done discovering the forum ahead of its official launch.  🙂

ADTS

I am also wondering if fructose by in large should be limited while back loading.

Naomi Most

The short answer is yes, definitely limit fructose, both on Carb Back-Loading and on Carb Nite.Fructose has several problems. It doesn't spike insulin (which is why it's often called "safe for diabetics", which is INSANE, but that's another story), so it's inappropriate for getting the carb benefit we want after training.Also, fructose, being metabolized in the liver, will stop ketosis.In Carb Back-Loading, the only reasonable time to eat a piece of fruit is in really small quantities between your first and second meals, well away from your training time. But you can only do so expecting your fat loss results to be dampened somewhat.Within Carb Nite, you totally just can't eat fruit, except for the odd couple of berries here and there. (That's one of the reasons I find it difficult actually.) Fructose makes the ketosis ineffective, and spoils the Carb Nite too.

ADTS

In that case, would all the HFCS I ingest during my candy bar back-loads be counter-productive? Damn I need this book to come out, every question answered creates two more.

JR

Wouldn't ripe bananas and watermelon be exceptions though?

Damon Amato
    Participant

I had nothing else at work so after my lifting session I had an apple juice box, banana, and apple (as well as 1 scoop blend H in milk).  Did I just totally destroy progress for today?

Wouldn't ripe bananas and watermelon be exceptions though?

I sure hope so because I have been having banana's after my workout as part of my carbs because I have been cramping up a bit.

JR

@Intensity Junkie yeah I'm a big fan of having ripe bananas and watermelon post-workout. I don't make them my only carb source post-workout, but I use them in a combination.

Richard Schmitt

That's one thing I would to eat again, got addicted to freezing grapes then eating them, but don't mind giving something up to further my fat loss goal

robhally

I have to say, this is the one downside to CB/CNS protocol. I used to eat two apples a day, oh well.

JR

Hmmmmm… yeah this is definitely a tricky subject. The book will clear this subject up. I don't see a problem with adding a combination of fruits post-workout, especially if your an athlete. I mean if your a basketball player or football player you may want to add some ripe bananas post-workout.  Iv'e used fruits with carb-backloading. I didn't go overboard and only consume fruits during the backload but I do sometimes eat watermelon or ripe bananas with a combination of a maltodextrin/dextrose source. Really depends on your goals. I think I heard that recent studies have shown there can be benefits to taking in a combination but I can't find it anywhere and I don't know the circumstances of it. I think it was geared more towards endurance athletes.  I think it had something to do with making your body feel full after a workout. I don't know if there would be any harm in consuming an apple at some point in the day or when you should consume it. 

Naomi Most

Really overripe bananas will work in Carb Back-Loading.I have a suspicion that dates would work too, but I'm not sure.

Hmmmmm... yeah this is definitely a tricky subject. The book will clear this subject up. I don't see a problem with adding a combination of fruits post-workout, especially if your an athlete. I mean if your a basketball player or football player you may want to add some ripe bananas post-workout.  Iv'e used fruits with carb-backloading. I didn't go overboard and only consume fruits during the backload but I do sometimes eat watermelon or ripe bananas with a combination of a maltodextrin/dextrose source. Really depends on your goals. I think I heard that recent studies have shown there can be benefits to taking in a combination but I can't find it anywhere and I don't know the circumstances of it. I think it was geared more towards endurance athletes.  I think it had something to do with making your body feel full after a workout. I don't know if there would be any harm in consuming an apple at some point in the day or when you should consume it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Back loading with fruits.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?