Backloading for Mass

• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

vinny
    Keymaster

I have recently been back-loading for mass gains with some OK results, but don't believe that I am getting anything too much better than I would with a classic “lean bulk” or carb cycling. I was hoping you could all help me get my current protocol in order to help me get that “gain muscle while losing the gut” effect as I am still feeling pretty soft after 3 weeks.Currently my back-loading for mass gains looks like this on training days (5 days):

7:00 A.M: wake up, 1.5-2 tbsp. of pure black coffee with 1 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream12:00 PM: Chicken breast (68 g protein), mixed veggies (broccoli, cabbage, string beans)4:00 PM: TRAIN, start sipping 88 grams of sugars half way through (4 scoops of SURGE Recovery)6:00 PM: pork steak or beef, or chicken with fettuccine alfredo (92 carbs)7:00 pm: whey protein shake with a drumstick ice cream cone and a poptart (70 carbs)8:00 PM: another whey shake or some meat with oreos as desert (50 grams carbs) 10:00 PM: BED===TOTAL CARBS: ~300 grams===

PLEASE feel free to criticize what I am currently doing; I want to Nail this! I currently 18, weigh 163 pounds, and back-load 5 days a week for training and eat around 70 grams of carbs at one single meal on off days at night. What is a ballpark estimate of how many grams of carbs I should be eating on my training and off days?Thanks for the help everyone! 🙂

masZUL
    Participant

It sounds to me like you at least have the right idea… Just make sure you have a calorie surplus or you will not gain wieght.  I'm not advocating counting calories but you should at least have an idea of where you're at.  Also, you're still young, at 18 it's hard for a lot of guys to gain serious weight keep at it and you'll get it.  There are a lot more people that would rather struggle to put the weight on than take it off.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Might just be semantics, but You start sipping your dextrose/maltodextrose/protein/leucine mega-combo while your working out. Kiefer recommends consuming the protein 30 minutes after the workout so that it absorbs and is freely available to the muscles 2 hours after the workout, when the muscles are finally capable of using the nutrients.  I think the sugar portion was supposed to be consumed immediately post workout and only consumed during workout "...if it will be abnormally intense, or you feel depleted from the day before (you didn’t get your glycogen reserves filled)".I have also seen him recommend your meal be 2 hours after your workout, in which case yours would be considered early, but I can't tell you if that is a detriment.***EDIT***well, I went looking for links to the stuff I read and regurgitated above, but all I found is that the recommendation for timing varies and I can't yet find science or theory behind it, so take my interpretations with a grain of salt or two...

vinny

thanks for the replies guys! I'll start moving my first solid PWO meal to a later time.  I'm narrowing in on my sweet spot right now as far as carbs go, so I may add a little more

jsleight

Anyone using a mass gainer PWO? Right now I'm eating a Big-100 bar after with about 6g of leucine and and 5-6 grams of creatine. I'm considering adding a mass gainer or replacing the Big-100 bar with a mass gainer to get more carbs right off the bat. Let me know your opinions, thoughts, or complaints. Thanks

Richard Schmitt

Might just be semantics, but You start sipping your dextrose/maltodextrose/protein/leucine mega-combo while your working out. Kiefer recommends consuming the protein 30 minutes after the workout so that it absorbs and is freely available to the muscles 2 hours after the workout, when the muscles are finally capable of using the nutrients.  I think the sugar portion was supposed to be consumed immediately post workout and only consumed during workout "...if it will be abnormally intense, or you feel depleted from the day before (you didn’t get your glycogen reserves filled)".I have also seen him recommend your meal be 2 hours after your workout, in which case yours would be considered early, but I can't tell you if that is a detriment.***EDIT***well, I went looking for links to the stuff I read and regurgitated above, but all I found is that the recommendation for timing varies and I can't yet find science or theory behind it, so take my interpretations with a grain of salt or two...

Wait, wait, wait...soooo you're supppose to have "Dinner" two hours after working out, not like 30-45 minutes afterwards? Because my whole period of evening training starts right around 3:30/4 and I get done around say 4:30/5. I get dressed and get chow and eat around 5:30. Is this not the correct way of backloading? I take my ISO 100 whey isolate right after I workout though, no carbs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Backloading for Mass

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?