Backloading for Night shift workers who workout in the "sweetspot" ?

• This topic has 2 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

trubadoru
    Keymaster

I work night shift, wake up at 3-4pm and train at 5pm. I was unsure if I can backload with my schedule. I am training in the sweet spot, but its technically my morning time. I am unsure if I need to consume my post workout carbs like a normal back-load, or wait until later in the morning to eat them. So put simply, would I backload after my workout and low carb the rest of the night?OrAfter my workout just have my PWO shake, and low carb till 3-4am in the morning, and then backload?

Naomi Most

That's a tricky question, because if the afternoon is when you are in fact waking up, then you're really training in the “morning”.  However, there are by-the-clock effects on the human body as well — this is why night shift workers end up with sleep disorders.For BEST results, I'd treat your afternoon training as early-morning training, and don't eat anything except coffee w/ (optional) coconut oil before it (except possibly the AM Accelerator shake if you really feel you need it).Try to get as much exposure to natural light as you can to aid your melatonin production.Also take vitamin D -- probably 3000IU -- along with your fish oil.  Even if you get that sun exposure, you can't get nearly enough of it starting that late in the day without walking around completely naked for a few hours to generate enough vitamin D for your needs.

trubadoru

That's a tricky question, because if the afternoon is when you are in fact waking up, then you're really training in the "morning".  However, there are by-the-clock effects on the human body as well -- this is why night shift workers end up with sleep disorders.For BEST results, I'd treat your afternoon training as early-morning training, and don't eat anything except coffee w/ (optional) coconut oil before it (except possibly the AM Accelerator shake if you really feel you need it).Try to get as much exposure to natural light as you can to aid your melatonin production.Also take vitamin D -- probably 3000IU -- along with your fish oil.  Even if you get that sun exposure, you can't get nearly enough of it starting that late in the day without walking around completely naked for a few hours to generate enough vitamin D for your needs.

Ok, thank you, I thought that might be the safest route. Have you heard of anyone with this type of schedule try CBL?

Naomi Most

Not personally, but Kiefer's talked about it before, without any particular concerns.The biggest issue is melatonin regulation, so try to get some exposure to blue light, or maybe just take melatonin as a supplement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Backloading for Night shift workers who workout in the "sweetspot" ?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?